Camilla & the Queen's Commonwealth Essay Contest Reception at BP - 21st Nov 2017

Started by TLLK, November 22, 2017, 12:54:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandy

Oprah is the best to promote reading. She has an Oprah's book club which brings attention to previously unknown authors and she promotes the classics as well. I think she is the best one and a real pioneer. There are also "book drives" here in the US for children in hospitals. It's a worthy cause.

Duch_Luver_4ever

Oprah IS very good at it, and one is not saying Camilla is better than her, but given until she shuffles off her mortal coil, she has to do some kind of charity, wouldnt you rather she do something like this, than say, visit hospices, or campaign for landmine, HIV victims, etc. like Diana did? I rather she stick to things like this and not step on Diana's toes, so to speak.
"No other member of the Royal Family mattered that year, or I think for the next 17 years, it was just her." Arthur Edwards, The Sun Photographer, talking about Diana's impact.

sandy

I was just praising Oprah for her work it really helped people learn about literature and helped promote new writers. This thread just reminded me of this.
Yes, Camilla does avoid what Diana did. Or is given advice on what charities to take.

TLLK

Quote from: Trudie on December 01, 2017, 07:07:20 PM
As much as I am not a fan of Camilla and that is well known here, Literacy is important and I applaud Camilla for bringing the issue forward especially books not a kindle. Growing up here in the states there was a program called Reading is Fundamental and used books would be collected and distributed among poorer communities via a bus stocked with them. I'm sure if something like this were adopted Camilla would even drive the bus. I am an avid reader and to me growing up I would rather read than do anything else there is something special getting lost in a good story but more importantly you can educate yourself further if you can't afford Uni or college to become a well read person.
Yes wasn't that an excellent program for kids without the resources to access reading material. And yes I agree @Trudie that Camilla would get her bus license if needed!

Double post auto-merged: December 02, 2017, 02:41:43 AM

Quote from: sandy on December 01, 2017, 10:59:59 PM
Oprah is the best to promote reading. She has an Oprah's book club which brings attention to previously unknown authors and she promotes the classics as well. I think she is the best one and a real pioneer. There are also "book drives" here in the US for children in hospitals. It's a worthy cause.
Yes she is an excellent public figure to champion reading in the U.S.A much like Former FLOTUS Barbara Bush and her daughter-in-law Laura and now current FLOTUS Melania Trump. However in the UK, I do believe that The Duchess of Cornwall would be a better representative along with other British public figures. :xmas17:

royalanthropologist

I think the best judges of whom to invite as a patron are the organizers of the charity event. They have made a good choice. A serious high profile royal who is an avid reader is a great choice.
"In the past, people were born royal. Nowadays, royalty comes from what you do"...Gianni Versace