Anne Boleyn - Her Life, Her Times, Her Story

Started by amabel, May 09, 2010, 01:33:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cinrit

I understand what you're saying, Katerina, but the examples I provided were just to show that, though they didn't execute their counselors, they had no problem executing relatives or people close to them.  Which is worse, in my opinion, no matter what the reason.

Cindy
Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

snokitty

Venereal disease affected Henry VIII's  thinking process that and the fact that all royals think people are there to serve them and their lives don't really matter. Back then they solved their problems permanently.
"Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too"      Voltaire

I can see humor in most things & I would rather laugh than cry.    Snokitty

KaTerina Montague

Quote from: cinrit on January 02, 2015, 08:06:11 PM
I understand what you're saying, Katerina, but the examples I provided were just to show that, though they didn't execute their counselors, they had no problem executing relatives or people close to them.  Which is worse, in my opinion, no matter what the reason.

Cindy

I honestly don't see it as worse some of those excursions seemed logical. The Tudors were usurper so they were never going to feel entirely secure, especially when they had people arou d them with as good of a claim as them or even a better one. I believe Henry VII, Mary and Elizabeth had people running around saying someone else was the rightful ruler of England.

amabel

Lots of monarchs have people saying that they are not the rightful King.. the present queen has -.  there are always going to be disputes of that nature.  And as I've said most of Eliz's counsellors were loyal and devoted and successful in there work. Perhaps she was luckier than her father or a better picker?
And as a woman she might have reasoned that she would look bad killing off her counsellors but she Had no trouble killing people that she thought were a threat to her.. Im not a great expert on Eliz these days but I'm sure that in the aftermath of various rebellions she sometimes also allowed the richer rebels to buy their lives by turing over their property, or paying huge fines whereas poorer rebels were killed. 

KaTerina Montague

The present Queen is not a usurper who is insecure on her throne. Henry VII was as were all the other Tudors with the exception of Edward. I dont think shr had rebellions against her trying to put someone rlse on her throne, Henry VII, Mary I and Elizabeth did. Killing someone who is a threat to you is a logical response, killing someone who worked for you for years is not.
I guess it can be assumed that the answer to my question is no, no other Tudor executed their counselors for one mistake. I do think Henry became more aND more terrible as the years went on, but didn't he execute 2 men who served his father at the start of his reign?
Back to Anne, I ha e only read one book where a other explanation was given for Anne not giving into Anne; but most historians seem to think she was using some seduction scheme.

amabel

Quote from: KaTerina Montague on January 03, 2015, 10:28:24 PM
The present Queen is not a usurper who is insecure on her throne.  I
She isn't insecure her throne no, but according to some, she's not the rightful queen because the catholic Stuarts were cut out of the succession.  As a constitutional monarch however she's more secure because no one's going to overthrow someone who has very liltte power... In Henry's day it was very different