William and Kate’s primary school ‘Royal delivery’

Started by PrincessOfPeace, July 09, 2014, 03:09:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TLLK

:goodpost: I know it's common in my area for shop owners to display letters from students thanking them for providing their school with funds or to thank them for being able to visit the store.

TLLK

Quote from: SophieChloe on July 09, 2014, 08:16:08 PM
They could have objected but the letter would still have been sent with or without (all) their permission. 

They sent the letter to W&K because George is their child....the heir to the heir to the heir - an unelected institution -therefore he is an accident of birth (sounds horrible I agree) but there it is).  Did they send a persuasive letter to the shoe shop owner round the corner? 
Letter would have been sent? I'm surprised that the teacher wouldn't have handed it over or that the parents wouldn't have asked to have it.

As for the local shopkeeper, I don't know if this is common in the UK, but it isn't unusual to see letters from students at different stores or small restaurants when the store owner has let the class take a tour here in the U.S. :)

Canuck

SophieChloe, I think what you're saying is that George's POSITION is an accident of birth.  George himself, as a person, is not.

Lady Adams

Quote from: Canuck on July 09, 2014, 10:39:32 PM
SophieChloe, I think what you're saying is that George's POSITION is an accident of birth.  George himself, as a person, is not.
Of course that's what she said. Sophie Chloe may not be a cheerleader for the Cambridges, but she would never say a child was an accident.  :doh:

"To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing." --Elbert Hubbard, American writer

Canuck

I agree that's what she meant, Lady Adams.  But saying "George is an accident of birth" sounds like she thinks the baby is an accident, which is why I suggested the other phrasing.

Lady Adams

^ Well, if we can all agree upon the intended meaning of her remark, semantics aren't really an issue, are they? :Lothwen:

Back on topic...I agree this letter was a silly media stunt. Unless, of course, the school sends them to all perspective toddlers.
"To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing." --Elbert Hubbard, American writer

SophieChloe

Quote from: Lady Adams on July 10, 2014, 02:39:08 AM
Quote from: Canuck on July 09, 2014, 10:39:32 PM
Of course that's what she said. Sophie Chloe may not be a cheerleader for the Cambridges, but she would never say a child was an accident.  :doh:

Thanks LA  :hug: 
Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me

Limabeany

Quote from: Canuck on July 10, 2014, 02:42:32 AM
I agree that's what she meant, Lady Adams.  But saying "George is an accident of birth" sounds like she thinks the baby is an accident, which is why I suggested the other phrasing.
It sounded like nothing of the sort... Though I am not accustomed to nitpicking...  :shrug:
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

Limabeany

:goodpost:
Quote from: Lady Adams on July 10, 2014, 02:46:40 AM
^ Well, if we can all agree upon the intended meaning of her remark, semantics aren't really an issue, are they? :Lothwen:

Back on topic...I agree this letter was a silly media stunt. Unless, of course, the school sends them to all perspective toddlers.
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

Canuck

I wasn't trying to be rude, it was just a suggestion. 

TLLK

Limabeany

You weren't rude Canuck.  :hug: Many of us understood SophieChloe's meaning and yours and were baffled by the need to dramatize the comment by building up on yours with negativity, but to each his own.

Canuck