Duke & Duchess - To Clear Their Calendars for August (Threads Merged)

Started by Lothwen, July 30, 2014, 03:17:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TLLK

IMHO Daniel and Victoria are forging their own path with Estelle which is different from the typical route that many royals have been  taking with their children. William and Kate are following a more traditional one which is similar to the one Charles and Diana had with their children.

Each set of parents has to decide what they believe will be best for their own families. Victoria had her issues with the press during her youth and is likely to try and protect Estelle from that type of intense coverage.

Limabeany

W&K's path is not traditional, simply reclusive, and not like Diana's with the sole exception of the trip to Oz. Diana, did carve her own path, Kate and William are simply playing reclusive hermits. Even more admirable of Victoria to be doing this with such Grace, William is not the only one who has had a difficult relationship with the press, he needs to learn from people who are handling themselves as exquisitely as Victoria, instead of playing "normally hiding in my bunker... I'll sen you a pic when and if I feel like it."
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

PaulaB

Quote from: TLLK on August 04, 2014, 06:05:04 AM
IMHO Daniel and Victoria are forging their own path with Estelle which is different from the typical route that many royals have been  taking with their children. William and Kate are following a more traditional one which is similar to the one Charles and Diana had with their children.

Each set of parents has to decide what they believe will be best for their own families. Victoria had her issues with the press during her youth and is likely to try and protect Estelle from that type of intense coverage.

I remember reports saying that the Victoria's father put pressure on her and her sister to step aside for their brother.

Jenee

Quote from: Canuck on July 30, 2014, 07:04:40 PM
I agree the phrasing is silly, but it's not like the BRF or W&K said it.

I had to remind myself of that as I stared in indignation at the article. I'd love to ask Katie Nicholl what on earth William and Kate have done that makes her think this month off is so "well deserved?"

And yes, the August hibernation is nothing new for the Royal family, but seriously - it's like Katie is trying to outrage her readers on purpose or something. She isn't doing Will and Kate any favors with statements like that.
"It does not do to dwell on dreams, and forget to live" -Dumbledore

Canuck

Jenee, I suspect she is trying to anger her readers.  She often writes stuff so over the top that I think it can only be serving the purpose of trying to generate outrage.  Whatever causes more page clicks...

TLLK

Quote from: PaulaB on August 04, 2014, 10:35:42 AM
Quote from: TLLK on August 04, 2014, 06:05:04 AM

I remember reports saying that the Victoria's father put pressure on her and her sister to step aside for their brother.
Yes CG was not happy about the Swedish parliament's decision to follow full primogeniture.

TLLK

Quote from: Limabeany on August 04, 2014, 09:15:37 AM
W&K's path is not traditional, simply reclusive, and not like Diana's with the sole exception of the trip to Oz. Diana, did carve her own path, Kate and William are simply playing reclusive hermits. Even more admirable of Victoria to be doing this with such Grace, William is not the only one who has had a difficult relationship with the press, he needs to learn from people who are handling themselves as exquisitely as Victoria, instead of playing "normally hiding in my bunker... I'll sen you a pic when and if I feel like it."
On this we'll have to disagree. I see them behaving like the other members of the BRF and other royal families with infants and toddlers when establishing a relationship with the media. We'll just have to see what the future brings.

Limabeany

Quote from: TLLK on August 04, 2014, 01:28:23 PM
Quote from: Limabeany on August 04, 2014, 09:15:37 AM
On this we'll have to disagree. I see them behaving like the other members of the BRF and other royal families with infants and toddlers when establishing a relationship with the media. We'll just have to see what the future brings.
I agree to disagree, I see Victoria and Daniel being thoughtful in sharing their family and maintaining their privacy with grace, I see William and Kate, taking George out for pr when it suits them (Australia for the Diana comparison), or where no one is allowed, and sending out pictures two or three times a year...  :truce:
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

PrincessOfPeace

Quote from: Lady Adams on August 02, 2014, 11:28:11 PM
QuoteThe Duchess no longer walks Prince George through Kensington after she was snapped in the Royal park last year.
Zara and Mia routinely get photographed when they're out at horse events. And guess what? Zara ignores them and goes about her business! Sensible thing to do. Kate is sounding obsessed with privacy, to the point of detriment.

Kate was photographed just last week taking a walk through Kensington with Prince George. I always take Katie Nicholl's attempts to paint the Duchess as paranoid with a grain of salt

Twitter / POPSUGAR: We are OBSESSED with these ...

Kate Middleton Pushing Prince George in a Stroller | POPSUGAR Celebrity

HsHCharlene

I think taking a daily walk, especially for the baby is a good thing. I think she still does occasionally but doesn't like getting papped which is clear that she does regularly from those pictures. A lot of times too I think George is just walked by the nanny so as to avoid the disturbance from the photographers. It's not the most fun situation to be in but there's no need to complain if she already knew going in what it would be like.

XeniaCasaraghi

Quote from: Lady Adams on August 03, 2014, 10:08:50 PM
Quote from: cinrit on August 03, 2014, 09:55:10 PM
They're not in the same position.  Victoria is Crown Princess.  William is not Prince of Wales.  Daniel and Victoria are in Sweden where the press is not as intrusive as the press in the UK.

Cindy
Are we talking about the same press that published accounts of Princess Madeline's then-fiance cheating on her?  Or the press corps that reported widely on Victoria's eating disorder? I'd say they are much more intrusive than the British press, because they don't have the same sort of laws and honor codes British journalists need to abide by.

( Here's a good synopsis of the press coverage re: Madde, for anyone curious:
Royal wedding called off amid cheating claims - CNN.com )

The british press has reported on similar cases and much more. Have the Swedish press hacked phones and published private conversations? If not then they are no where ad bad as the British.

Double post auto-merged: August 04, 2014, 11:00:21 PM

Quote from: FanDianaFancy on August 03, 2014, 09:17:42 PM
Good points  Daisy.

Once again, we go to the other extreme. I am not knocking you, Xenia, but  just wanting to bring balance back  .

There is  some entitlement with the Royals which is fair  . Fair for them. Fair for their media  which is their subjects to  bring forth   to their sbujects of their Kingdom.
NO, no one is they have no rights as humans, as aprents  to havea private family.
They do. Of course they and they will.
They MUST  be phootgraphed at times .
It  gives them the much needed  good pr  they want to show their subjects to keep this dog and pony show going  for their gain.
PG is a baby. He being photgraphed  from a  long distance away with his mother is not harmful to him as a baby.
His playtime with his friends are private. As he grows, he will , see Daisy's post, learn about his role, his world, his Kingdom, how the world works, etc. When he enters school , first days  , as PD did with PH and PW, there will be  if PW and K allow it  and should be  photographs. Inside the school, no.    Now rumor is K will not to the park with a stroller so he cannot be photographed. So will  they think keeping him in a bubble is good?  The park is different from the grounds  of KP which  is like a park, private park.
And so it goes.

When  even as adults, PW  and PH were allowed  to live free of the press during his college years. Press at the  first day or something and graduation.
It is a give and take.  there is a balance. PK is not  like PD  in fame . When on one of the annual ski trips, remember PD  tried to block the press and asked for them after they took the pics, to please leave the kids alone.  In fairness, some pics. Done. At first, start of vacation. Private vacation time after  should be honored by the press and the PO's, TPTB should ensure it  for  WnK and should have been for PD and kids.

PW and K really  WANT  less press. Lessas possible for their child(ren).
I do not agree and do not see how they  can get away  with the media like this, but they  are and will it seems.  I  do not think they  are going to have their child(ren) photographed that much and no way near like PH and  PW were.
I think they want the same life with the media for their children as  D/D Wessex have for their kids.

Ridiculous  demand but with this Golden couple, it seems,  what they want, they get!

YES, the child was photographed on the tour. He was not there for all things with them and not the  whole time either at the zoo, etc.
They ,I am sure,  had family  time there too away  from the wombat cage  whatever it was. Fair enough.

They  really  have given him far less media  press than PW rec'd. Photogs took pics at PW ,although respectfully and from a distance,  but  at the  home.
PW and PK released a still picture of their child.
PK 's dad  took a still picture to send  of the child as an infant.  They did not even have offical press  members  or one of official photogs  take the honor for his/her career.
There are a few other still pics  of PW nK's  child.

PW was photographed far more  and had many more still pictures out there too.

The Cambridge are getting on with it and acknowledging who they are and their roles. They gave a press conference right after he was born and released personal family pictures then had him on display for the royal tour for the entire world to see. The last time we saw him was a month before he was 1 at the Polo match, I'm sure William knows and this thread proves that no matter what the public and media are given they always want more more more. As public figures they have to put their son on display but not all the time.

In All I Do

Quote from: HsHCharlene on August 04, 2014, 08:56:51 PM
I think taking a daily walk, especially for the baby is a good thing. I think she still does occasionally but doesn't like getting papped which is clear that she does regularly from those pictures. A lot of times too I think George is just walked by the nanny so as to avoid the disturbance from the photographers. It's not the most fun situation to be in but there's no need to complain if she already knew going in what it would be like.

I think my confusion comes from the fact that I hear people saying she complains ("sources close to...") and I hear bitter complaints that she complains "constantly" (mostly on other forums), but when I go to look for proof of actual complaints, I can really find only a few, primarily about things I'd complain about too. Mostly, she herself just seems to live her life, and while we can debate, seemingly endlessly, about whether or not the choices she makes in terms of public service in that life are acceptable, that is completely tangential to my point, and I'd really rather not because at this point it's deathly dull. But there's all this FUD around her, and I see a lot of reaction to the FUD, and not a lot of reaction to what she actually does.

So is it that she doesn't put enough of herself out there (and I'm not talking time, I'm talking openness, because I do think she has a very carefully curated image and it's one designed to be not terribly interesting), thus leading people to just make things up? Because I really see her as something of a Rorschach blot. More than anything else, that's what interests me about her.

Limabeany

TLLK

So added together that is 41 days representing the BRF as someone who is not on the full time royal list.  At this point in time she's ahead of her total for 2013.

Limabeany

Those are not added together, the tour was a spree and the rest of the year, she was abysmal. It is depressing that people think Kate's workload is admirable...

TLLK

IMO it is what I would expect for a part time royal in the BRF.  There are full time royals in other nations who work fewer days than the Duchess of Cambridge.

So counting the tour and the days in the UK we have 41 days as of 8-7-14. August is a very slow month in the royal world and there is still Sept., Oct., Nov., and Dec. Will she match Charles, Anne, Camilla no, but she's considered part time like her husband and brother-in-law.  :)

PrincessOfPeace

Quote from: Limabeany on August 07, 2014, 11:55:16 PM
Those are not added together, the tour was a spree and the rest of the year, she was abysmal. It is depressing that people think Kate's workload is admirable...

Harry's numbers are less than Kate

TLLK

And he does have a military job so he's part time like his sister-in-law. Also his Invictus  Games work prior to the event's opening is not being listed in the CC. I'm hoping that when it begins that it will be noted.

psm

Quote from: Limabeany on August 07, 2014, 11:47:46 PM
Wow!

https://38.media.tumblr.com/370701157f0fd290029c0a93287e9d13/tumblr_n9ynctLaFx1sbfyy8o1_500h.jpg

Why would anyone be surprised? Royalist will justify the numbers, saying she is a mother and a wife; both of which require no work on her part as she has tons of help. She is WAG. I guess a lot of WAGs work harder than her. She is a very very lazy WAG and after this age, she will never step up and learn to work. I think her values in terms of working are all settled.

In All I Do

Quote from: psm on August 08, 2014, 12:50:42 AM
Quote from: Limabeany on August 07, 2014, 11:47:46 PM
Wow!

https://38.media.tumblr.com/370701157f0fd290029c0a93287e9d13/tumblr_n9ynctLaFx1sbfyy8o1_500h.jpg

Why would anyone be surprised? Royalist will justify the numbers, saying she is a mother and a wife; both of which require no work on her part as she has tons of help. She is WAG. I guess a lot of WAGs work harder than her. She is a very very lazy WAG and after this age, she will never step up and learn to work. I think her values in terms of working are all settled.

For those who insist that a 32 year old who doesn't, in their opinion, work enough will never change her ways, I can only say that history suggests otherwise.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1946&dat=19851023&id=nxUyAAAAIBAJ&sjid=-6UFAAAAIBAJ&pg=2363,876626

Lady Adams

I think you make an interesting comparison, Adrienne.  However, when predicting future habits, it is helpful to look at their past. And there is a key difference: in their 20s, Kate never held a full-time job while Anne was an Olympic athlete, requiring at least, if not possibly more, work than a full-time job.
"To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing." --Elbert Hubbard, American writer

In All I Do

Quote from: Lady Adams on August 08, 2014, 03:26:48 AM
I think you make an interesting comparison, Adrienne.  However, when predicting future habits, it is helpful to look at their past. And there is a key difference: in their 20s, Kate never held a full-time job while Anne was an Olympic athlete, requiring at least, if not possibly more, work than a full-time job.

My point was mostly that predicting future habits is a mug's game.   :wink:

(Edited for proper apostrophe usage)

KaTerina Montague

Quote from: PrincessOfPeace on August 08, 2014, 12:17:57 AM

Harry has an actual job, Kate does not

Limabeany

Quote from: PrincessOfPeace on August 08, 2014, 12:17:57 AM

Kate is an UNEMPLOYED 32 year old adult...  Your counter argument is that a man who has a job, however dismissive you may be about it, does less handshaking than Kate? That is your defense...  :hmm: