The Archewell Foundation, Invictus and other charities news and activities -2

Started by TLLK, November 12, 2021, 12:24:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Curryong

I?m sure this is old news. I swear that I read about these reports appearing in the Fail last year. However, it doesn?t appear that the couple are panting to get back to the UK any time soon because they?re stony broke.

PrincessOfPeace

The Daily Mail does break a lot of stories. They also win many British journalism awards.

wannable

One doesn't need to consider the source.  The DM placed the Registration forms in the article, 2/11 companies are NEW (Nov 2021 and Dec 2021 registrations in Delaware), hence it's a 'follow up' of 2020 registered companies.

(One wannable clicks, reads, scrolls, registration forms, etc...)

Amabel2

PrincessOfPeace

It's an inshore tax haven. It's like the American version of Panama.

wannable

It's a tax shelter state

KEY TAKEAWAYS
Delaware is particularly attractive financial companies, due to its business-friendly usury laws and light taxation.
A Delaware corporation can base their headquarters in any U.S. state, where they are then exempt from state corporate income tax in many cases.
Delaware corporations are also subject to a more favorable legal process the state's Court of Chancery.

Usually they operate between themselves. Those who pay taxes help their country, state, expenditures where government see fit.  Tax shelters or havens don't help anyone but themselves, it also is much more risk because whomever they trade with, they need to triple check it doesn't come from an illegal person citizen or foreign...something that rarely happens in tax states or heavily taxed countries.

PrincessOfPeace

Duke and Duchess add to their growing empire by registering two more companies, The Telegraph can reveal.

Last week, it emerged that the couple had set up 11 companies in Delaware, the state known for its flexible business laws and low personal income tax rates.

The Telegraph can reveal that two further companies were registered on the same date, by the same lawyer and business manager who have represented the Duchess since she was an actress.

No business like showbusiness for Sussexes as they launch new entertainment firms

archive.ph

TLLK

Sharing this for all to read. Thank you for posting the archieved link @PrincessOfPeace  :thanks:

QuoteThe Duke and Duchess of Sussex have laid out a blueprint for their work outside the Royal family with a series of business filings, showing more than half their new companies set up for the ?entertainment? business.
The couple, who now live in California and have already signed deals to produce Netflix shows and a Spotify podcast, are to pursue entertainment in earnest after stepping away from their life as working members of the Royal family to find ?financial independence?.
Last week, it emerged that the couple had set up 11 companies in Delaware, the state known for its flexible business laws and low personal income tax rates.
The Telegraph can reveal that two further companies were registered on the same date, by the same lawyer and business manager who have represented the Duchess since she was an actress.
They appear to have names which are meaningful to the couple, with one ? Cloverdale Inc ? bearing the same name as the street that the Duchess lived on with her mother in Los Angeles when she was young.Both Cloverdale and a second company, Riversoul Productions Inc, are set up explicitly in the ?entertainment? industry, and join companies Hampshire LLC, Bridgemont LLC and IPHW LLC.
The couple are already known to be working under the names Archewell Productions, to create their television output for Netflix, and Archewell Audio, which is expected to produce podcast episodes under a deal with Spotify.
They total seven separate companies specifically in the entertainment industry, along with another two publishing companies and three investment firms to match their one not-for-profit foundation.
The companies appear to be a significant change of direction for the Sussexes, who have emphasised their dedication to their philanthropy and non-profit work through Archewell.
The pair appear on the paperwork for two publishing companies: Peca Publishing, which has the rights to the Duchess?s children?s book The Bench, and is thought to be named for the Spanish word for her freckles; and Orinoco Publishing, reported to house the Duke?s forthcoming autobiography.
Three other companies, Nemawashi Holdings, Baobab Holdings and RPV Holdings, are set up for investments.
The companies were each incorporated by Richard Genow, the Duchess?s long-time attorney, and Andrew Meyer, her business manager.
Most were registered on July 16 2021, and can be found in public records registered in California and Delaware.
A spokesman for the Sussexes declined to comment.
Sussexes? growing portfolio
It is not uncommon for business leaders to set up multiple entities in the US, with experts suggesting the practice protects them from the potential failure of one company impacting on another.
They follow numerous commercial ventures for the Sussexes, both of whom have recently been announced as ?impact officers? at US fintech firm Ethic.
The Duke has already taken several new roles in the US, including as chief impact officer at coaching app Better Up and one of a panel of commissioners at the Aspen Institute?s ?Commission on Information Disorder?.
It is not thought the Duchess is planning a return to acting, although she has done voiceover work since becoming a member of the Royal family. The couple have both, however, made high-profile television appearances including the Duchess performing a comedy sketch on chat show Ellen, and the Duke making a star turn on The Late Late Show with James Corden.

Fans have expected them to build on their production work, following in the professional footsteps of Barack and Michelle Obama after they left the White House in creating on-message programmes in line with their public campaigning.
The Duchess is already creating an animated children?s series for Netflix about a 12-year-old girl called Pearl ?who learns to step into her own power when she embarks on a heroic adventure and meets important women from history along the way?.
When the couple, at the time Meghan Markle and Prince Harry, announced their engagement, they were asked in a BBC interview about the actress?s decision to leave her career in television drama Suits to join the Royal family.
?I don?t see it as giving anything up, I just see it as a change,? she said then. ?It?s a new chapter.?
Saying she had been ?very fortunate? to work on a long-running series, she told the Duke on camera: ?I feel really proud of the work I?ve done there [on Suits] and now it?s time to, as you said, work as a team with you.?

Princess Cassandra

I can see Harry doing more comedy - he has great presence and is very appealing. Meghan, of course, is a proven actress and could easily continue with it. I just don't think they do well in public service speeches etc, because they come across as sermonizing. That sort of approach doesn't usually appeal to people.

Amabel2

Princess Cassandra

Quote from: Amabel2 on January 24, 2022, 10:45:04 AM
I doubt if their "comedy" abilties are all that great either.
I do think Harry could do light acting and comedy. Meghan - no comedy I don't think, but other kinds of acting. However, they are both focused on serious and sensitive issues, and in my opinion they come across as sermonizers with self-serving motives.

Amabel2

well is that what they gave up royal life to do?  Acting in comedy?

PrincessOfPeace

SPOTIFY is taking Harry and Meghan's 18million pound podcast project "into its own hands" by hiring a host of in-house producers to finally help deliver content.

The streaming giant has been waiting more than a year for the runaway royals to produce material as part of their mega-money deal.

More: Spotify takes Meghan Markle and Prince Harry?s podcast 'into its own hands' after couple produce NO content for a YEAR

TLLK

Based on what I have read, it seems like a practical solution for both parties. Spotify can now hire in-house producers to create and provide the podcast content that their listeners/subscribers wish to hear. The Sussexes don't have to concern themselves with taking on the challenges associated with production.

wannable

It's a nice way of saying the Sussexes have been discharged.  Dec 2022 or Jan 2023 there will be no Sussexes in ''their'' spotify podcast, IOW another year with nothing.

It's akin to a company requesting an employee to resign rather than being fired because that employee is someone known (higher ranks) rather than a nobody.

Is Netflix taking over Harry and Meghan's projects too? Now streaming giant advertises for staff on behalf of royal couple after Spotify takes Sussexes' Archewell podcasts 'into its own hands'

Netflix following.   

My opinion is based on a family member who works for the biggest and best broadcasting/entertainment TV network in the world. This person is in a white collar position, the best way to end a contract with a well known person is like this. Original productions from beginning to end starts and ends professionally.  A loss is when alleged rehiring of new people happen, which is not happening because of the financial, economical times for ALL TV networks.

TLLK

More on Netflix's hiring ad for a production designer/ artist with CG animation experience for the production of Pearl. Which is a necessary step as neither of the Sussexes' appear to have the experience or skills required for an animated series.

Meghan Markle is hiring for her first Netflix series - details  | HELLO!

QuoteThe job advertisement on LinkedIn states that "The Production Designer will help to develop, create, and support the aesthetic vision of our Executive Producer Team, working closely with the Show Runner to design multiple worlds representing various time periods throughout history."

QuoteThe Duchess is serving as an Executive Producer on her very first animated series for Netflix. In an announcement last summer it was confirmed that Meghan will be working alongside stars like Carolyn Soper, Liz Garbus, Dan Cogan, Amanda Rynda and David Furnish.

The ad is looking for an "accomplished artist" with three to five years of CG animation production experience and someone who can "collaborate with grace, humility, inclusion and open-mindedness".

In September 2020, it was confirmed that the Duke and Duchess of Sussex had signed a major deal with Netflix to make films and series for the streaming service.

Amabel2

Quote from: TLLK on January 25, 2022, 02:06:13 PM
Based on what I have read, it seems like a practical solution for both parties. Spotify can now hire in-house producers to create and provide the podcast content that their listeners/subscribers wish to hear. The Sussexes don't have to concern themselves with taking on the challenges associated with production.
but what is the point of their taking on jobs or contracts and the company then having to find other people to do the job???

TLLK

Quote from: Amabel2 on January 26, 2022, 08:37:16 AM
but what is the point of their taking on jobs or contracts and the company then having to find other people to do the job???

IMO the Susssexes realized in the past year that they personally do not possess the necessary skills and time needed to create or produce the content for their podcasts and are willing to assume the cost of subcontracting the work. They'll still likely be the participating in the podcasts, but they don't have to do the background work.

PrincessOfPeace

I think a lot of the issue with Meghan and Harry is what do they have to offer. This has been discussed before. I really don't think Netflix or Spotify care about anything other than royal tittle tattle. 

I think the honeymoon is coming to an end with the couple.

Macrobug67

Gossip sells. 

Two rich and  entitled people lecturing the rest of us from the comforts of their 20 mill mansion doesn?t.

Amabel2

Quote from: TLLK on January 26, 2022, 02:28:18 PM
IMO the Susssexes realized in the past year that they personally do not possess the necessary skills and time needed to create or produce the content for their podcasts and are willing to assume the cost of subcontracting the work. They'll still likely be the participating in the podcasts, but they don't have to do the background work.
Or any work at all.  Its like Dodi Fayed being a Hollywood producer.  Probably all they are doing is coming up with ideas and the real workers are tactfully changing them or doing a lot of work on them to make them into something that is watchable or readable.  probalby after a time they wont be coming up iwth ideas, it will all be left to the backroom team.. and in a couple of years, they will be quietly dropped by Netflix or whoever.

Amabel2

Quote from: Macrobug67 on January 27, 2022, 05:03:15 AM
Gossip sells. 

Two rich and  entitled people lecturing the rest of us from the comforts of their 20 mill mansion doesn?t.
I agree but gossip has its limits.  even if they have no scruples in revealing family secrets and problems and exaggerating them to make them more exciting.. there is a limit to what they can say.  Meghan was only a working royal duchess for a year or so.. Harry a bit longer.. unless they really concentrate on the "dirty little secrets" aspects of royal life, there are limits to waht they can come out with..

Amabel2

Quote from: PrincessOfPeace on January 26, 2022, 09:31:29 PM
I think a lot of the issue with Meghan and Harry is what do they have to offer. This has been discussed before. I really don't think Netflix or Spotify care about anything other than royal tittle tattle. 

I think the honeymoon is coming to an end with the couple.
I suppose the question is whether these companies will keep them on on the grounds that thier names on projects will keep the public watching.. or if they will ruthlessly chop them after a certain point.  Either way, doesn't look good...

wannable

Quote from: Macrobug67 on January 27, 2022, 05:03:15 AM
Gossip sells. 

The ''initial'' projects aren't gossip. Spotify was to do with Mental Health and Netflix Invictus and Pearl.  To date it failed hence both companies are taking it ''in their hands''.  As I said previously, IMO this is a goodbye to high profile people.  The loss the companies will note in their accounting books is approx. 20-40% of the total budget.  When producting tied to the contract moneys announced, they don't give 100 percent of i.e. USD 30 Million Spotify or USD 112 Netflix.  The first one is easier to budget the latter is much much harder to budget.  When one reviews flops, all of them had very bad HR problems like the one described in the latest news. Between the 1960s to 1980's flops and losses were easily taken, today not so because all industries have sufferred very badly with the Pandemic. That Netflix is searching for a new Creative Director, it seems that David Furnish or Meghan Markle, one of the 2 decided to quit each other, rumor mill is this in that project.  Invictus and it's participants were at odds since day 1 about who will benefit, will money go to the Invictus or to Harry's pocket, or will each participant get some money, the latter being the right thing to do, disabled people who live below middle class, some bordering living conditions with a whole of of government benefits.

I'm sticking to what I said, the companies will not hire anyone, it's a slow death until everyone forgets about it.  Each company lost 20-40 percent of forward money, the Sussexes showed the bills paid of the forwarded moneys, all friendly and good.

Edit to add: The family person told me the couple apparently signed without professional backup from their 'team'. i.e. Invictus, Harry should have had several meetings with Invictus and participants before signing, reach a final agreement; i.e. 20 % my pocket, 40 % Invictus pocket for future expenses, 40% for all participants, then sign.  I'm using allegedly, although since day 1 AFTER he signed one can tell that he didn't have any meetings because of all the problems that went public, including William and Kate donating last year GBP 500,000 because every year Harry would donate but didn't donate, so W&K donated to Invictus.  Pearl just recently IMDB took David Furnish name out of the equation. Spotify they did 1 podcast.  Big hollywood rumor is each guest was asking 1 Million to appear.  The couple should have agreed to this (allegedly), one can't hold to ALL the money without paying ''salaries'' for example.

wannable

An easier example to their HR problems is something like this:

Me Wannable receive a contract with Archewell Foundation letterhead to participate in a podcast speaking about Mental Health for X amount of minutes, which equates USD 1 Million, followed by a next paragraph in the contract that since it's for the Archewell Foundation would I be inclined to rescind 100% of the 1 Million but receive only 5% of it, as the rest will go to the A Foundation for charity.  My agent (Wannable's agent) tells me that A Foundation is registered in Delaware, they really only legally can/may spend 5% in charity, 95% to Harry and Meghan via expenses they ''file''. 

Look only very very very close people in ones circle will probably agree, but a huge vast majority will not.

Happily these type of 5% charities are slowly dying.