City Council to vote on the use of the Sussex title

Started by TLLK, December 19, 2019, 12:03:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TLLK

Harry and Meghan's Sussex title was 'unfairly acquired' and should be ignored, Brighton and Hove council to consider

Quotehe Sussex title held by Harry and Meghan was ?unfairly acquired? and should be ignored, a bizarre debate due to come before Brighton and Hove council will hear on Thursday.

Councillors are expected to consider a petition demanding the local authority boycotts the Royal couple?s title after thousands of people supported the cause online.

Written on behalf of ?residents of Brighton and Hove?, it calls on the council to reject ?the usage? of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex title, which is ?disrespectful to the county of East Sussex?.

The Dukedom held by Harry is said to be ?entirely non-democratic? and ?symbolic of the oppression of the general public by the wealthy elite?.

After a meteoric rise, the petition has become the third most-supported online in the council?s history, with 3,800 signatures.

But it is a political crusade of somewhat unlikely origins.

Charles Ross, the 54-year-old steward behind the campaign, admitted he had set it up when he was ?bored? and expressed surprise it was now the focus of a political debate. 

Should be noted that the gentleman who started the campaign said he was "bored" when he came up with the idea. Perhaps it is time to find a new hobby that doesn't waste the time of the City Council?<_<

QuoteOutlining what his address to the council chamber might contain, he continued: ?Basically I will be espousing the fact that if politicians believe in a free society then they should not be according special privileges to people that have inherited titles.

?My point is that I?ve got nothing against Harry and Meghan personally.?

Other less impressed residents of Sussex have called into question the wisdom of the council in choosing to stage such a debate.

The petition was condemned online as an ?embarrassment?, a ?waste of time?, with one Twitter user suggesting  "the guy starting the petition needs to grow up".

sandy

Sounds like a tempest in a teapot. I doubt they will lose the title.

Curryong

They won't lose the title. It's a stunt by a republican inclined person because he was bored, and quite laughable. Brighton is a city. It doesn't have any right to grant royal titles or deprive people of them. And it would indeed be extremely awkward if the Queen or POW came down to the south coast to perform an engagement. What would happen then? This bloke is an idiot. It's not even worth discussing and Brighton/Hove councillors are probably joking about it.

Brighton is a lovely town. Perhaps he could volunteer, do something useful  and stop wasting others' time. 

TLLK

Quote from: sandy on December 19, 2019, 12:47:40 AM
Sounds like a tempest in a teapot. I doubt they will lose the title.

No they won't lose the title, but the referendum wants to see the City Council not refer to the couple as the Duke and Duchess of Sussex as they believe it was bestowed in an undemocratic fashion. Should TRH the  D/DssoSussex return to Brighton, they don't want the City Council to use that designation in an official capacity.   :wacko:

It's more or less just a gesture and a strange one at that IMHO. :blink:

Curryong

He wants to get rid of all titles of nobility. Therefore if the Queen, who didn't get her title 'democratically' either, visits Brighton/Hove in future this moron will no doubt want her referred to Mrs Elizabeth Windsor in documents, and the rest of the Titled persons who have BRF titles will also follow it.

amabel

Quote from: Curryong on December 19, 2019, 05:48:22 AM
He wants to get rid of all titles of nobility. Therefore if the Queen, who didn't get her title 'democratically' either, visits Brighton/Hove in future this moron will no doubt want her referred to Mrs Elizabeth Windsor in documents, and the rest of the Titled persons who have BRF titles will also follow it.
Mountbatten Windsor surely?

Curryong

wannable

The people must have happy lives and aren't politically active in that area. The 3k is 1% of their Brighton and Hove population. It's easy to see why it must be discussed with their council rules, when they state that When a petition reaches 1,250 it's sufficient for discussion, that equates 0.5% of their local population.

I would hope this would backfire Charles Ross, in the same manner, a petition to get him fired.

Princess Cassandra

They can say what they want to - it was the Queen's prerogative, and it was discussed at length beforehand. The media discussed all the options and why this one was the best.