The Archewell Foundation, Invictus and other charities news and activities

Started by sara8150, June 12, 2019, 01:41:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sara8150

This thread is for the Sussexes' UK based patronages in addition to their charity work including Archewell, Invictus, Sentebale etc...

Twitter

Gert?s Royals Twitter says
QuoteJune 17th,
Prince Harry will attend a Chatham House Africa Programme event on ?Mine Clearance, Conservation, and Economic Development in Angola?, held at Chatham House.

The event is in partnership with the HALO Trust.

Twitter

Halo trust on Twitter says
QuoteWe're excited to share that on Mon 17th June, HRH Duke of Sussex, will join forces with HALO, #conservation experts, the Angolan government & philanthropists @ChathamHouse - "Mine Clearance, Conservation & Economic Development in Angola."

Prince Harry 'wants to take Meghan and Archie on Angolan trip to finish work his mother started' | Daily Mail Online

Double post auto-merged: June 12, 2019, 02:24:27 AM

Harry and Meghan to travel to Malawi and Angola later this year - ITV News

Curryong

We will see whether this works out, and in fact if this report is true. If it is I doubt very much that Archie will be going to Angola, which is home to several serious tropical diseases. It is not considered advisable to inoculate babies of under six months against at least one of them, which would push the trip back to November. They could of course be planning a mini-tour to Malawi, or even to Lesotho etc as well, but I'll be waiting for official confirmation of any of it.

TLLK

From Sussex Royal Instagram.

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex on Instagram: ?Here we come D?sseldorf ??! The new home for the 2022 and sixth Invictus Games. Having previously been

Double post auto-merged: January 15, 2020, 09:50:27 PM

Quotehe Duke of Sussex announced on Wednesday that his Paralympic-style competition for wounded and recovering service members and veterans from around the world is heading to Germany in 2022.

?I am honoured that Germany will take the Invictus Story further, with the sixth Invictus Games heading to D?sseldorf in 2022,? Harry said. ?Germany has been a key part of the Invictus Games family since the very start in 2014 and I know that they will be exemplary hosts in picking up the mantle and showcasing what sport continues to do for these inspirational men and women in their recovery.?

?I hope everyone in Germany is ready for what will be an incredible week of sport!? he added. ?I have no doubt that the German public will get right behind these Games and that every single competitor can expect a warm welcome and an amazing atmosphere.?
:thumbsup: :happy17:

sandy

TLLK

Reportedly there are concerns from those involved with organizing the Invictus Games over the Sussexes' future involvement.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/prince-harrys-exit-angers-helpers-who-built-invictus-7h2grqvnq

QuotePrince Harry was so proud of the Invictus Games that, barely 2? years ago, he and Meghan Markle chose the tournament as the occasion to make their first official appearance together.

Following the couple?s departure for North America, some volunteers have raised concerns about the future of the charity founded by the Duke of Sussex after he flew back from the Afghan battlefield with soldiers maimed in combat.
(This article is behind a paywall.)

Concern over long-term future of Invictus Games as Prince Harry steps back from Royal role An article from January 2020 but it's similar to the one behind the pay wall.

Prince Harry has an Invictus related engagement on Feb. 28 and the couple will be at the games in the Netherlands this May.

Honestly, I believe that Invictus is still somewhat in its "early years" if I were to compare it to more established games for disabled athletes ie: Para Olympics/Special Olympics and it's still trying to establish how often the games will be held and a rotation of host nations. However in the future I believe that it will  and should continue but perhaps it might be with less of a  "hands on" involvement from Prince Harry.

wannable

Without the formidable British Royal machinery it's quite a huge uphill to match the firm. 

^Here's the Express version

Prince Harry leaves Invictus volunteers raging after quitting royal life 'So bl***y angry'
PRINCE HARRY'S departure from the Royal Family has angered Invictus Games volunteers.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are quitting royal duties for a new life in North America. But the move has prompted a furious reaction from some Invictus Games volunteers.

One volunteer said: ?I am just bl***y angry.
?There is this expectation that we go out and flog ourselves and find support bringing in cash for Invictus.
?He could make this a whole lot easier if he did something as well. He could text anyone.?
Another complained Harry had left the UK without thanking volunteers or reassuring them about his future involvement with the charity as he forges a new life away from the monarchy.

They told The Times: ?Everybody has been unwavering until now, but everybody feels they have been dropped like a bad habit.?
But Invictus medallist John-James ?JJ? Chalmers insisted the games must ?stand on its own feet?.
He said: ?I am grateful he created the games. It changed my life and it changed the lives of others.

The good news is that 'some' of them think the Invictus can stand on its own two feet without Harry, if it ever happens.

*The National Theatre is also in a crossroads; two directors with differing opinions, the latest is they will give MM time this year to see if she will or not do anything for them, deciding factor to make her quit, remove her or seek a 'royal patron'

sandy

Invictus is not totally dependent on the RF. These are unnamed sources yet again. Why is it good news about not needing Harry? I think it most unfortunate news since Harry has a great rapport with them

Princess Cassandra

Yea, Invictus games! Wonderful to have a change in topic for the Sussexes.

Curryong

Snub? When did Kate and William ever turn up to the Invictus Games anyway, except William with Charles at the inaugural one in London? I remember him looking incredibly sour because the crowd cheered Harry. Harry managed without either of them so far!

Funny that the Fail raked up these unnamed volunteers who were supposedly angry. Harry has always had huge amounts of support from competitors and officials for his 'baby' and there have been oceans of praise from them for Harry as the Fail very well knows. This rag is trying its best to try and knock Harry in every single way possible including the IG. Not succeeding.

Harry's put his heart and soul into these Games from the beginning and there is a ton of evidence showing it including in the archives of this forum.

QueenAlex

Quote from: sandy on February 23, 2020, 11:16:17 PM
Invictus is not totally dependent on the RF. These are unnamed sources yet again. Why is it good news about not needing Harry? I think it most unfortunate news since Harry has a great rapport with them
Hary has a new life now.  HE is going to have to earn a living and that will take up his time.  He has never been involved in the Games on a day to day basis..

sandy

I think the Invictus sponsors and participants like Harry very much. A person can both earn a living and do charity work.

QueenAlex

Quote from: sandy on February 24, 2020, 01:26:47 PM
I think the Invictus sponsors and participants like Harry very much. A person can both earn a living and do charity work.
They may like him.. but they may prefer a Patron who is based in the UK... and it seems that charity work isn't the primary focus of tehir new life.  We've been told that they are going to return to do some engagemetns but that  they are not going to be working royals after end of March.  And that they are not goig to have a charity foundation.. as some believed....

TLLK

Here is a promotional video for the upcoming Invictus Games in the NL. Prince Harry is heard in the voice over.

Twitter

Quote?You are the Invictus generation and you are showing us all that anything is possible.? - #IG2020  75 days to go!

Princess Cassandra

Quote from: QueenAlex on February 24, 2020, 09:42:31 AM
Hary has a new life now.  HE is going to have to earn a living and that will take up his time.  He has never been involved in the Games on a day to day basis..
I thought Harry was the one who initiated the Invictus Games. I didn't think it was part of his royal work but a personal project. Maybe I'm wrong, but clearly he intends to continue.

TLLK

@Princess Cassandra -Here is a brief history of the Invictus Games and how Prince Harry was inspired by an American event to start the Games.

The Invictus Games London, Prince Harry - Royal.uk

sandy

Quote from: QueenAlex on February 24, 2020, 02:23:18 PM
They may like him.. but they may prefer a Patron who is based in the UK... and it seems that charity work isn't the primary focus of tehir new life.  We've been told that they are going to return to do some engagemetns but that  they are not going to be working royals after end of March.  And that they are not goig to have a charity foundation.. as some believed....

He has a base in the UK.

Double post auto-merged: February 24, 2020, 06:40:27 PM

Quote from: Princess Cassandra on February 24, 2020, 06:03:15 PM
I thought Harry was the one who initiated the Invictus Games. I didn't think it was part of his royal work but a personal project. Maybe I'm wrong, but clearly he intends to continue.

Yes indeed, it's not royal patronage. This is something of great importance to the Prince.

wannable

99% of the job is done by the governance team of the Invictus. Some are actual and other ex members of the UK Olympic and Paralympic committee.

In the Invictus site, Harry is their patron.

Yes, Harry's inspiration was the Warrior Games, he went 2013 and created the Invictus games with the help of the formed governance team.

Princess Cassandra

I'm glad that he will be continuing his work with the Invictus Games. He is such a figurehead for them that I can't imagine Invictus Games without him, and they appear to be very important to him. 

TLLK

Invictus Games are postponed until the summer of 2021. A very sensible decision though there will be disappointed athletes.

Prince Harry's Invictus games postponed over coronavirus outbreak - Reuters

QuoteTHE HAGUE (Reuters) - The Invictus Games, an international sporting event for wounded army veterans set up by Britain?s Prince Harry, have been postponed by at least a year due to the coronavirus outbreak, the organisation said in a statement on Thursday.

The games were due to take place in The Hague, the Netherlands, from 9 to 16 May, 2020.

?We are now investigating all options to reschedule the Invictus Games, subject to the availability of key facilities and resources, to May or June 2021. Significant planning to scope and confirm this option is underway,? it said.

The Invictus Games were founded by Prince Harry for military personnel wounded in action.

Curryong

A great shame for the athletes and everyone involved, including Harry, but so many events like this are going by the wayside now, so it was inevitable really. There's always next year.

I do have doubts now about the 2020 Olympics. This thing may still be going by the northern summer.