If prince Charles wasn't Prince of Wales

Started by oak_and_cedar, February 28, 2019, 12:45:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oak_and_cedar

If Prince Charles wasn't Prince of Wales what do you think he would be doing?
We know that he has started and run a successful Prince's trust. No small feat.
I imagine him being a business man. Or perhaps a CEO of some company that focuses on enviromental issues.
A solar panel company or such. What do you guys think?

TLLK

IMO he'd be a landscape architect or head gardener. He has a serious interest in  plants and landscape design.

About The Gardens

QuoteAs part of TRH The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall?s private residence, The Royal Gardens at Highgrove are opened annually for visitors to share in their enjoyment of this much-loved inspirational setting.

Created with imagination and passion by the Prince over the last 38 years, the series of interlinked organic gardens reflect his deep commitment to sustainability, as well as a natural artistic ability. As an important haven for a rich variety of flora and fauna, the gardens have been developed to not only please the eye, but sit in succinct harmony with nature.

You can experience the gardens? seasonal highlights between April and October each year, and discover how the Prince has transformed a landscape which was once merely lawn into an ever-changing canvas of magnificent garden scenes.

oak_and_cedar

Isn't he also interested in alternative medicin?
Maybe he would've studied an area in medicin or biology.

amabel

I don't think so.. he's not into science.. per se.  I tink he's done well to improve his estates and to set up the Pricnces Trust.. but he's very much the POW.. I cant imagine him in any other role

Princess Cassandra

Certainly a businessman, but don't forget his interest in architecture and heritage. He could have been a leader in the planning industry, writing books about keeping a sense of place in growing cities. His Poundberry initiative is what makes me really think of him as a planner.

oak_and_cedar

He's a very talented man. How successful is Poundbury? A couple of weeks ago I read that they had trouble "filling up" the town.

Prince Charles' dream of a 'Scottish Poundbury' lies in tatters with just 31 homes built | Daily Mail Online

Maybe there are other factors at play.

royalanthropologist

The key word is "Scottish Poundbury". If you read the article, it is very different from what the DM wants to project.
"In the past, people were born royal. Nowadays, royalty comes from what you do"...Gianni Versace

oak_and_cedar

Quote from: royalanthropologist on March 01, 2019, 06:18:11 AM
The key word is "Scottish Poundbury". If you read the article, it is very different from what the DM wants to project.

Reading is as they say fundamental  :lol:. Thanks. I'll re read it again later. But it's not the first time the Daily fail tries to fool people.

Curryong

I think Charles woud have been completely and utterly happy running a large agricultural estate in the shires of England if he had not been born heir to the throne. He would have run the estate in a sustainable manner planting what crops he desired (and perhaps arguing with his sister about it.) Charles would have owned property in a nearby village (cottages to his own design) and written books on agriculture.

oak_and_cedar

Now that I think about it, I do recall PC Writing books. I think he helped to write one about Highgrove.

Double post auto-merged: March 02, 2019, 05:58:19 AM

Would Prince Charles get married and have a family if he wasn't POW?
Before he married Diana he was fine living like a bachelor. But he needed to get married as POW.

amabel

I don't know. I think he might have stayed a bachelor for many years, if he hadn't had the obligation ot marry and have kids. I used to think he was not that crazy about children.. and he might hav just married late in life for companionship but Im not sure...

Curryong

If in this alternative scenario Charles the 'not POW' had enjoyed a long relationship with a married woman then I certainly don't think he would have bothered to marry.

However, that's with a caveat. As we've observed before about Prince Charles, he didn't really need a wife in any practical everyday sense. His valet looked after his clothing, a cook/housekeeper cooked his meals and other servants cleaned his rooms, made his bed etc.

If Charles the not POW had this range of staff looking after him plus a mistress then he wouldn't have bothered about marriage, IMO. If, OTOH, it had just been a cleaner coming in a couple of times a week and he was cooking his own meals or having them at a local pub, then marriage might well have sprung to mind!

oak_and_cedar

I think that if he were not POW and had an "ordinary" job he would have married in his early thirties. Perhaps also lived in Australia for a while. From one of his biographies I read it said he really liked it there.

amabel

I cant' really imagine Charles as anything but the POW.  I think he's a shy self doubting man and perhaps without the prestige of that role, while he would work hard, he might not have the self confidence to achieve so much...

Princess Cassandra

You may well be right. Meanwhile, isn't it amazing how he has become so much more relaxed, confident, and FUN in his later years.  Unlike many, I don't think this is only about his marriage to Camilla - he has proven himself over and over and finally got some respect, which in turn has given him much more confidence. I hope he will have more than just a few years before he has to switch roles.   

LouisFerdinand

Prince Charles has done a lot of watercolor paintings. Perhaps he would be an artist.   
Prince Charles Art For Sale - 9 Listings

royalanthropologist

Some of the Windsors have untapped talents that they never really used because they never had to. I understand PM was so good at playing the piano and singing that she could have had a professional career if she wanted.
"In the past, people were born royal. Nowadays, royalty comes from what you do"...Gianni Versace

oak_and_cedar

I've also read that HM is a really good equestrian and is involved in horse racing I think it was? She's even had a couple of wins in the Royal Ascot I think?

Also Prince Philip, I read somewhere, has a good "technichal" mind and is apperantly quite inventive.

TLLK

QuoteShe's even had a couple of wins in the Royal Ascot I think?

Yes as an owner she's had success with racing including 23 wins at Royal Ascot. :)

Queen Elizabeth II's undiminished love of horse racing - CNN

amabel

Quote from: royalanthropologist on March 04, 2019, 06:51:31 AM
Some of the Windsors have untapped talents that they never really used because they never had to. I understand PM was so good at playing the piano and singing that she could have had a professional career if she wanted.
I would doubt that.....

corydora

Quote from: oak_and_cedar on February 28, 2019, 12:45:34 PM
If Prince Charles wasn't Prince of Wales what do you think he would be doing?
We know that he has started and run a successful Prince's trust. No small feat.
I imagine him being a business man. Or perhaps a CEO of some company that focuses on enviromental issues.
A solar panel company or such. What do you guys think?

I think he would have been a gentleman farmer and horse breeder. He seems to enjoy the outdoors and likes his polo ponies. Likes gardening and painting nature. Maybe something like America's Thomas Jefferson who experimented with seeds and plants or George Washington Carver who discovered a zillion uses for the simple peanut and the sweet potato.
Recycle yourself - Be an Organ Donor