Barnardos, Helen and Douglass House Patronages and Camilla

Started by TLLK, December 20, 2016, 03:50:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jennifer

QuoteDuchess of Cornwall becomes Patron of Barnardo's, taking over from The Queen

It has been announced that The Duchess of Cornwall will become Patron of children's charity, Barnardo's, taking over from Her Majesty The Queen.

The news comes after Buckingham Palace announced that The Queen would be stepping down as Patron from 25 of her charities at the end of the year.

This is thought to be a result of The Queen reducing her workload due to her advancing age.

Read more:
Duchess of Cornwall becomes Patron of Barnardo’s, taking over from The Queen – Royal Central
"You've done it before and you can do it now. See the positive possibilities. Redirect the substantial energy of your frustration and turn it into positive, effective, unstoppable determination". ~ Ralph Marston

Duch_Luver_4ever

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Please tell me this is not happening, this is not happening!!! this must be what all the butthurt Hilary fans felt when they lost the election, with ALL the others royals at their disposal, they chose "her" to take over one of Diana's favorite charities. I know i try to be the pragmatic one, but im sorry, I feel very strongly about both the real and symbolic value of Camilla stepping into areas like this, and what it says both explicitly and implicitly about remembering and respecting Diana.

She may as well show up with one of her dresses, the lovers knot tiara, be addressed as Princess of Wales and have her hair styled like Diana....am I missing anything else, care to legally adopt Will and Harry, too?

(yeah, I know im nuts, but this is a big jump over the line, imo,)

I know Bernardo's may not be in the position to dictate who is their patron, but they sure didnt mind the tremendous boost in donations they got from Diana, this is a horrible way to pay thanks to the memory of that, but I guess all charities have a "what have you done for me lately" attitude. I hope Diana fans will politely and respectfully write and remind Bernardos of that.

OMG was on the Bernados site to write them and shes been president since 2007, WTH!!??!!??

"No other member of the Royal Family mattered that year, or I think for the next 17 years, it was just her." Arthur Edwards, The Sun Photographer, talking about Diana's impact.

Duch_Luver_4ever

They could have Kate, if she wants to copy Dianas style, they should make her so some of the work too, they could have Sophie, heck, I know they want to push them out but even Andrews kids if they want to keep it in the family. Princess Anne even. Heck, id even take Kitty Spencer even after her homeless gaffe than this.

I know these charities will go on, but it just seems wrong to put in the person that was so harmful to their best patron, and who would have still been, if she hadnt been so inconsiderate to them by dying. It just seems like such a willful erasure of her down the memory hole of history, with the RF doing their best Winston impression and then to boot replacing her with her rival.

I know im full on dogmatic mode here, maybe i have extra estrogen today or something, this must be what the kids call "triggered" LOL.
"No other member of the Royal Family mattered that year, or I think for the next 17 years, it was just her." Arthur Edwards, The Sun Photographer, talking about Diana's impact.

TLLK

I realize that Diana was involved with Barnardos as its president for twelve years (1984-1996) but try to keep in mind that Camilla has been the President of Barnardos for awhile now. (She took over from Cherie Booth in 2007.) So it's not surprising that she's inherited the patronage instead of Sophie or Kate.

Since Camilla is the wife of the Prince of Wales there will be a time when she does begin to take on more of the patronages that the Queen resigns from and yes the ones that ...Diana as Princess of Wales once had.

I will now go and hide behind this flock of festive trees. :xmas10: :xmas10: :xmas10:

Duch_Luver_4ever

I see you behind the trees @TLLK LOL  Yes, I was shocked to hear of that as well as I politely bent Bernardos ear over the matter. I hear what you're saying, and if it was the case of her dying and she was someone he met after, or a distant friend than came into his life after, it wouldn't be an issue.

But things like Bernardos were Diana at her most Diana-like, so to speak, given the way the whole change of spouses happened, it would have been good taste to leave her out of those areas, not only for the upset, but it will also draw comparisons that may be unfair to Camilla as they both had different areas of strengths.

Imagine if it was reversed and Diana was taking over say, Osteoporosis charities after she cheated with Charles and married her and Camilla died just when she was trying to reinvent her life, im sure Camilla fans would be rightly chuffed.

TLLK

Damn! I thought that the camo wear was the trick! Time to add tinsel.

I do understand that there are posters who are upset regarding the Barnardos patronage. Personally I'm a history minded/big picture royal watcher so if the scenarios was the one that you described it wouldn't bother me if Diana took on osteoporosis because then the organization would have a high profile patron. However I do realize that some would take exception to the announcement.

For now I just plan to share the information as it comes in and offer my thoughts if I think they might clarify the reason as to who has inherited which patronage. As far as I can tell it appears that QEII is offering them to BRF members who have had a link to the various organizations in recent years or if they are closely associated to the monarch. Charles would likely be the one to take on those.

sandy

Why can't the duties be passed on to the younger royals. William and Kate need to take on full time duties now. Disappointed they are not.

Double post auto-merged: December 20, 2016, 08:16:09 PM

Quote from: TLLK on December 20, 2016, 07:38:09 PM
I realize that Diana was involved with Barnardos as its president for twelve years (1984-1996) but try to keep in mind that Camilla has been the President of Barnardos for awhile now. (She took over from Cherie Booth in 2007.) So it's not surprising that she's inherited the patronage instead of Sophie or Kate.

Since Camilla is the wife of the Prince of Wales there will be a time when she does begin to take on more of the patronages that the Queen resigns from and yes the ones that ...Diana as Princess of Wales once had.

I will now go and hide behind this flock of festive trees. :xmas10: :xmas10: :xmas10:

Camilla has a respectable number of duties. Logically the extra work should go to Will, Harry and Kate. They seem to be in a time warp now

TLLK

@sandy-I believe that she inherited Barnardos because she's been their president since 2007. It appears that HM is awarding the patronages to those members who have had a previous position with the organization ie: Camilla-Barnardos, William-Welsh Rugby, Harry-Rugby or an interest ie: Lawn tennis/All England tennis-Kate.

From the 25 patronages that QEII's resigned it appears that Charles, Camilla, William, Kate, Harry, and Sophie will be taking on 2-4 new ones each.

As for the grandchildren taking on extra duties and becoming full-time it seems that there is an increase, but perhaps not as quickly as royal watchers would prefer.  Estimated tally from some royal watchers has these numbers  for 2016 with William at 200 engagements, Harry at 170 and Kate at 130. (A few decades ago those numbers would be considered respectable full-time tallies let alone part-time ones.) Timothy O'Donovan's tally won't be available for a few more days. William now does a large percentage of investitures as his grandmother was finding the task to be physically taxing at her age. She appears to be wanting to make the transition at her pace, so we'll have to see what 2017 brings.  :)

TLLK

:xmas21: This is one of my favorite events in the royal year.

Twitter

QuoteMy favourite royal event of the year! The Duchess of Cornwall invites children from Helen & Douglas House and Roald Dahl's Marvellous Children's Charity. to decorate the Christmas tree at Clarence House

Double post auto-merged: December 12, 2019, 03:19:20 PM

The Welsh Guards equerry  places an ornament on the tree with his sword!
Twitter

wannable

I watched a few videos, this is becoming one of my favorite Christmas events. 

Camilla should wear more red, that dress looks great on her.

TLLK

Twitter

QuoteClarence House
@ClarenceHouse
The Duchess of Cornwall, Patron of @barnardos
, today visited the charity to find out more about the work being done to help vulnerable young people through their Child and Sexual Abuse and Exploitation Services.

Blue Clover

TLLK, Barnardos is a valuable resource for vulnerable children. I am happy a member of the royal family is a patron.

Princess Cassandra

Very valuable, but also a very sensitive and difficult topic to address and discuss. Those who work directly with the children have my admiration for their ability to address the issue and help them.

TLLK

I'm hoping that the party will be able to be in person this year, but with the new Omicron variant and the fragile health of the young guests it might be a virtual party again.  :snowflake:

TLLK

Today is the day! The annual Christmas party for the children at the Helen and Douglass Home has returned to Clarence House to enjoy the party. As usual the Duchess of Cornwall is present as the hostess accompanied by a very tall Welsh Guardsman to assist with hanging ornaments with his sword. Children were able to try on his bearskin too.  :xmas10: :xmas5:

https://media.gettyimages.com/photos/camilla-duchess-of-cornwall-with-assistance-from-captian-ed-andresen-picture-id1237243518?s=2048x2048

https://twitter.com/RE_DailyMail/status/1471088218862931968?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Camilla Hosts Children to Decorate Christmas Tree at London Home | PEOPLE.com

QuoteEquerry Ed Andersen of the Welsh Guards 💂🏿 carefully puts the first decoration on for the children as the Duchess of Cornwall invites children helped by @HelenAndDouglas
and @RoaldDahlFund
into @ClarenceHouse
for a very special Christmas event

PrincessOfPeace

The Queen Consort Delivers Paddington Teddy Bears To Barnardo's In Tribute To Queen Elizabeth II:

Bilder und Fotos - Getty Images

TLLK

:hearts: :high5:

So glad to see that so many of the Paddington Bears were able to be cleaned and now regifted to the young patients of the Barnardos Nursery.

Queen Consort arrives at a special teddy bears picnic - YouTube

The QC with the families and young patients distributing the bears.

Camilla delivers Paddington bears left in tribute to late Queen to nursery - YouTube

wannable

Hierarchy used in a great way.

Head towards Rebecca English and the royal family twitter Camilla making Christmas decorating with the children much much more special than any previous years.

Very lovely

TLLK

Here's a video of the QC with the children at the annual Christmas Party at Clarence House. As per tradition, the guardsman is there to help hang the ornaments on the taller branches with his sword and there was a petting zoo with Father Christmas and his reindeer.   :xmas17:

Camilla ?Kicks Off? Christmas with Children?s Party - YouTube