The Duke of Edinburgh opens the world’s first vertical cable car

Started by Jennifer, October 30, 2016, 10:47:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jennifer

QuoteWhilst opening the new British Airways i360, the 95-year-old Prince went for a ride on the cable car in an observation pod.

The one of a kind attraction was conceived and designed by Marks Barfield Architects, who were also the creators of the world famous London Eye.

The British Airways i360 stands at a height of 162 metres in the Brighton skyline. It also holds the Guinness World Record the world's most slender tower – with a diameter of just 3.9 metres at its widest point.

Read more:
The Duke of Edinburgh opens the world’s first vertical cable car – Royal Central

Double post auto-merged: October 30, 2016, 11:56:16 AM

QuotePrince Philip: Champion of Science

This week, HRH The Duke of Edinburgh opened the Brighton i360, the world's first vertical cable car.  A tremendous feat of engineering, the car allows passengers to gain a 360-degree view of the south coast of England from a height of 450ft. Who better to open this futuristic marvel than the Duke, who has given a large part of his life to furthering the human understanding of the scientific study?

The Senior Fellow of the Royal Academy of Engineering, Prince Philip is no stranger to mechanics and machines. Earlier this year, in an article in the New Scientist, the Prince praised engineers, writing that "everything not invented by God is invented by an engineer". This royal support has given great voice to the engineering movement and raised its profile. The Duke's involvement in the Brighton i360 raised its media profile and introduced a different audience to the world of engineering.

Read more:
Prince Philip: Champion of Science – Royal Central
"You've done it before and you can do it now. See the positive possibilities. Redirect the substantial energy of your frustration and turn it into positive, effective, unstoppable determination". ~ Ralph Marston

TLLK

Looks like fun to me, but I'm not afraid of heights and it appears that Phillip is not either.