The Spanish Royal Family General News and Chat

Started by TLLK, June 12, 2018, 12:11:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TLLK

El Supremo rebaja la condena a Urdangar?n a cinco a?os y diez meses

Sentence: Five years and ten months is prison.

Urdangarin: Spanish king's brother-in-law loses appeal and faces jail - The Local

Quote?aki Urdangarin, the disgraced husband of Princess Cristina, King Felipe VI's older sister, and now faces jail after he lost his Supreme Court appeal, according to court sources.

In February 2017 he sentenced to six years and three months, having been found guilty of syphoning off millions of euros from the not-for-profit Noos Foundation

Urdangarin, 50, who was stripped of his royal title of the Duke of Palma,  appealed the sentence to the country's Supreme Court, which has the power to confirm, overturn, cut or increase the term.

On Tuesday, the long-awaited appeal verdict upheld Urdangarin?s conviction but reduced the jail time by five months to five years and 10 months, according to court sources widely reported in the Spanish media, although no official confirmation from the Supreme Court has yet been made.

Curryong

I hope he goes to jail, goes directly to jail and does not pass 'Go'. This seems to have been going on for years. Best to serve the sentence and get it over and done with.

wannable

At least he got sentenced.  The system is slow but effective, other countries not.

royalanthropologist

Justice delayed is justice denied...for both victims and perpetrator. They should have done it all quicker. By now he would have finished his sentence.
"In the past, people were born royal. Nowadays, royalty comes from what you do"...Gianni Versace

wannable

The same can be said with the US Justice system. Many cases take over a year despite having proof like watching the sun.

TLLK

Urdangarin llega a la Audiencia de Palma a recoger la orden de entrada en prisi?n - YouTube

(Inaki arrives at the court in Palma for his sentencing. He has five days to choose which prison he'll be in.)

Double post auto-merged: June 13, 2018, 10:23:08 PM

Spanish king's brother-in-law given five days to report to jail - BBC News

TLLK

http://www.elmundo.es/espana/2018/06/18/5b275b01ca4741d5658b45f8.html

Today Inaki entered the prison which is located about one and a half hours away from Madrid. For now his wife and children will remain in Geneva, Switzerland where they've been living for a few years now.

Curryong

For now that's a good idea, I think. Cristina has to maintain some sort of normality in her children's lives, however hard it is going to be. No doubt the children miss their father and I suppose some kind of arrangements for prison visits are going to have to be made in the future.

TLLK

They were both monumentally stupid with the NOOS money. It's seriously damaged their relationship with their fellow citizens not to mention her family.

Blue Clover

@TLLK Yes! I agree. For someone who was already incredibly privileged this was a senseless crime and the consequences are nothing short of tragic.

PrincessOfPeace

A thread to discuss the news and articles about the Spanish Royal Family not related to official duties

King Felipe VI of Spain has arrived in Mallorca for his annual summer holiday. Felipe, along with Queen Letizia and their two daughters, was spotted driving into the Marivent Palace on the island where they traditionally spend part of August.

More: King Felipe and Queen Letizia begin traditional summer break in Mallorca ? Royal Central

TLLK

QuoteThe stay is usually a relaxed occasion, marked by photocalls and day trips. However, this year, the visit will be under intense scrutiny as debate continues in Spain following the decision of Felipe?s father, Juan Carlos I, to leave the country as allegations about his financial affairs continue.

Typically there is also a photo session or two with the family as they meet guests at Marivent Palace or go to a cultural/historic venue for some sightseeing. Felipe usually goes sailing with his various family members as the Spanish royals and their Greek cousins have a long association with sailing. Former King Constantine of Greece, Infanta Cristina and King Felipe were all members of their respective nations' Olympic sailing teams.

However I don't believe that this will be the King's most relaxing summer holiday. :no:

PrincessOfPeace

TLLK

:clap: Thank you again @PrincessOfPeace for your daily updates for the site.

Double post auto-merged: August 10, 2020, 07:54:32 PM

The Royal Family on a visit to Petra which is the birthplace of Fr. Junipero Serra. Fr. Serra was the founder of the California missions. Infanta Sofia fell yesterday and required five stitches in her knee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4sUPT1jUIQ

Curryong

There have been rumours for years that Mallorca wouldn't be the first locale of choice for Felipe and Letizia but they go there because it is continuation of a tradition that Juan Carlos and Sofia began, which allowed photo opportunities for the people to see the RF in a more relaxed and informal setting than usual.

In the first years of Felipe's reign that was important, and Sofia has also visited at the same time for a family vacation. The couple might wish to holiday annually somewhere else in Europe (like the Danish RF who always visited their villa in South of France for years) but it would be considered unpatriotic and therefore unpopular.

Nevertheless, Mallorca looks pretty good, even in the middle of a pandemic, to someone, namely me, freezing in Stage Four conditions in icy Melbourne!

TLLK

@Curryong- Sorry that you are under stricter quarantine now especially after Australia had started off with such low numbers at the beginning of the pandemic. Cold/icy winter conditions do not make it easier.

I agree that the family go there primarily to keep up the tradition started by JC and Sofia which was IMO a good one to establish considering the early days of their reign. These types of trips remind me of the Danish royals annual summer cruise around Denmak. It promotes local economy and tourism plus they family was able to indulge their sailing passion which they all seemed to enjoy. For the king, the trip seems to be a very busy one with meetings with politicians and business leaders so I don't think it's their true holiday. For years I have read that the family slips away for a private vacation after the public one with Letizia and the girls often going ahead of Felipe.

Double post auto-merged: August 11, 2020, 02:58:11 PM

Here is the family on a second day of outings.

Twitter

PrincessOfPeace

The heir to the throne of Spain and her sister have been out and about in Mallorca for the second time in two days for an engagement focused on young poeple.

Princess Leonor, 14, and Infanta Sofia, 13, visited the Naum Socioeducative Centre run by the Sisters of Charity of St. Vincent de Paul on August 11th 2020 with their parents but it was the younger royals who took the lead on this visit.

Princess Leonor and Infanta Sofia take lead on royal engagement ? Royal Central

TLLK

TLLK

:xmas5:  The 2020 card from TM King Felipe and Queen Letizia along with the card from the former King JC and Queen Sofia. Typically Felipe and Letizia issue a photo card and JC and Sofia have a t card featuring a Spanish painting of the Nativity. This year is no exception but the photo only features their daughters this year.

Spanish royals reveal 2020 Christmas card ? Royal Central

TLLK

It appears that JC might not return for the holidays and there is speculation that his son will use his Christmas address to distance himself from his father over the former's financial dealings.

Will King Felipe use his Christmas speech to publicly distance himself from his father? ? Royal Central

Curryong

The news that JC wont be returning home to Spain for Christmas isn't really a huge surprise, is it? Quite frankly, it's extraordinary that he thought it would be OK. Nor should it be a shock to him to learn that King Felipe is distancing himself from the latest scandal as quickly as possible.

TLLK

King Felipe places focus on unity and integrity in much anticipated Christmas speech ? Royal Central

QuoteKing Felipe VI has highlighted the importance of principles and ethical obligations in his Christmas speech in a thinly veiled reference to the scandal surrounding his father, King Juan Carlos.

The comments came towards the end of a highly anticipated festive address which saw the Spanish monarch urge unity, hope and strength from all as his country tackles the personal, social and economic impact of the coronavirus pandemic. But it was his words about upholding integrity that attracted the most attention as the controversy around the financial dealings of Juan Carlos continue to swirl.

King Felipe addressed Spain from the Zarzuela Palace. With a crib and a Christmas tree behind him, he began by remembering those missing from Christmas celebrations this year with many families facing a very different festive season as coronavirus pandemic restrictions prevent big get togethers. He also acknowledged those for whom this Christmas was particularly painful, saying ?in thousands of homes there is a void impossible to fill due to the death of your loved ones, whom I now want to remember with emotion and with all respect.?
:xmas17: