All memorials to Diana including the fountain, playground, and statue discussio

Started by Curryong, January 28, 2017, 10:39:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

royalanthropologist

You are quite right @TLLK. I stand corrected.

I also refer to @sandy with regards to the HRH title. As I understand it the Queen had not really paid attention to it either way until Diana unilaterally released a statement to the effect that she was retaining the title and would be known as the princess of wales. She also intimated to friends that the queen had ordered her to give up the HRH title (a blatant lie). At that point the queen became furious and wrote an order in council stripping all divorcees of the title. Otherwise all ex-wives retain their titles but only as if the title was a name. So Diana was no longer "The Princess of Wales" but but "Princess of Wales" would appear as if it were her name. Upon remarriage, that would go too.

The queen and POW still considered her to be a member of the royal family but she was no longer representing the monarch so no HRH title. The recognition as princess was more to avoid embarrassing William than as a courtesy to Diana herself.  The Danish monarchy has similar conventions but it uses Highness instead of Royal Highness to distinguish members of the family from other princes.
"In the past, people were born royal. Nowadays, royalty comes from what you do"...Gianni Versace

TLLK

http://us.hellomagazine.com/royalty/12017020320901/princess-diana-new-cover-harpers-bazaar-uk/

I think the cover of the latest from Harpers Bazar might be the perfect photo to use as an inspiration for the statue.

Trudie

@TLLK I agree that picture of Diana in Harper's would be perfect also a Tiara could be added especially the Spencer Tiara as Diana was not just Princess of Wales in her how right she was The Lady Diana daughter of a Peer. I think a statue of her in a Tiara would be appropriate but the final decision will rest with William and Harry.

sandy

She was married to the Prince of Wales and an HRH from 1981-1996. So much of her life she was in the royal family. I think a tiara would be appropriate and nothing wrong with a statue from the period where she was an HRH

Trudie

@sandy that picture of Diana was first published in 1995 meaning Diana still had her HRH and was two years before her death. That would be a perfect model for a statue and as I said they could add the Spencer Tiara it shows Diana as she really was regal but humble and approachable.

royalanthropologist

The Highgrove photo is actually quite nice although there are unpleasant memories there.  It was never really her home because Camilla chose, decorated and run it. As for tiaras, I have never liked the Spencer one. The lover's knot is better IMO and has some associations with royalty. Thinking about it I would also recommend her in the Elvis pearl dress with the lover's knot. Now that is an image of a princess that can never be beaten.

Double post auto-merged: February 04, 2017, 05:38:15 PM

@sandy. Here are the sad ones I meant. They are just really heartbreaking pictures. Glamour and tragedy in one:

diana-in-spencer-tiara.jpg : ?????????????????????????????? - NAVER ???
"In the past, people were born royal. Nowadays, royalty comes from what you do"...Gianni Versace

SophieChloe

Quote from: royalanthropologist on February 04, 2017, 05:24:04 PM
The Highgrove photo is actually quite nice although there are unpleasant memories there.  It was never really her home because Camilla chose, decorated and run it.

I couldn't agree more x.

That  pic @royalanthropologist - that makes her look a victim - IMO.  She proved to be no such thing. 
Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me

TLLK

Those are excellent suggestions @SophieChloe  Of the ones you've shared this is my favorite because I do believe it would work well with either bronze or marble. https://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.vqRn8WOwfyRP-nzIyp-7_wDaEs&pid=15.1&P=0&w=300&h=300

Double post auto-merged: February 04, 2017, 09:36:43 PM

Quote from: Trudie on February 04, 2017, 03:05:13 PM
@TLLK I agree that picture of Diana in Harper's would be perfect also a Tiara could be added especially the Spencer Tiara as Diana was not just Princess of Wales in her how right she was The Lady Diana daughter of a Peer. I think a statue of her in a Tiara would be appropriate but the final decision will rest with William and Harry.
Yes I agree that the beautiful Spencer Tiara would be a lovely addition to that photo to use as a model.

sandy

Actually maybe the boys were told by their mother early in the nineties what her favorite picture of herself was.

Double post auto-merged: February 05, 2017, 12:01:00 AM

Quote from: Trudie on February 04, 2017, 03:59:08 PM
@sandy that picture of Diana was first published in 1995 meaning Diana still had her HRH and was two years before her death. That would be a perfect model for a statue and as I said they could add the Spencer Tiara it shows Diana as she really was regal but humble and approachable.

I agree. I think definitely there should be a tiara with the statue.

Double post auto-merged: February 05, 2017, 12:02:25 AM

Quote from: royalanthropologist on February 04, 2017, 05:24:04 PM
The Highgrove photo is actually quite nice although there are unpleasant memories there.  It was never really her home because Camilla chose, decorated and run it. As for tiaras, I have never liked the Spencer one. The lover's knot is better IMO and has some associations with royalty. Thinking about it I would also recommend her in the Elvis pearl dress with the lover's knot. Now that is an image of a princess that can never be beaten.

Double post auto-merged: February 04, 2017, 05:38:15 PM

@sandy. Here are the sad ones I meant. They are just really heartbreaking pictures. Glamour and tragedy in one:

diana-in-spencer-tiara.jpg : ?????????????????????????????? - NAVER ???

Check out the Korea banquet 1992 photos, she had that same look.

Curryong

I don't know whether this is the right thread to put this (though I suppose docos are a sort of memorial) but William and Harry have apparently agreed to speak in detail about their memories of their mother in two upcoming documentaries for the twentieth anniversary.

Apparently they will speak for the first time of their remembrances of hearing of her death, of the funeral, public mourning etc.

I don't know how I feel about this uploading of past private grief for public consumption. However, it's always interesting to get a glimpse into private lives of the royals so I'll be watching.

Princes in two TV tributes to Diana, 20 years on | News | The Times & The Sunday Times

amabel

Oh no the fountain was awful, ugly and a mistake. I think that a non statue memorial would be better..

amabel

dot know why you think that Moncktor or the Spencers knew what they were doing.  It IS ugly, and IMO its nothing to do with Diana.  a statue would Have been better than that.. or a proper garden. I realy ont know why you feel that Will and Harry will be at all likely to criticse their father.  They love him and even if they didn't, or had issues, they're notl Likley to say so in public. THey know the score  as royals

royalanthropologist

I referenced the Spencers and Monckton because it was suggested by Diana fans that the problems with that project were designed by the royal family to diminish Diana's memory. As far as I can tell, no member of the royal family was involved. It was her friends and family who thought it was a fitting tribute.

As for William and Harry, I know that they would never intentionally annoy or criticize their father in public. But the press will try it on. Every sentence will be scrutinized for any hint of discord and if they land on any morsel, it will make the headlines in the DM and other rags. I am sure when Michael Jackson and Diana had just finished their interviews with Martin Bashir they thought it all went well...just until the interviews were screened and they realized how they had been exploited for a media scoop.

amabel

has anyone seen pics of this new Diana Garden? I saw a picture and it looked MUCH too formal, with rigid rows of flowers nad it all seemed white.  I was very disappointed. 

Curryong

I thought it looked wonderful, very serene and planted with Diana's favourite flowers, which were white. A lovely place for her children and grandchildren to sit and to walk I think.

TLLK

While this was not a physical monument to the late Princess of Wales, I'm glad to see that the BRF honored her wishes with this donation to a Bosnian man who had lost his feet to a  landmine during the civil war.
Royal family sent cash to land mine victim after Diana?s death | Royal | News | Express.co.uk

QuoteA few months after the iconic princess died in a tragic car crash, the family said they received a donation from the royal family, which was the exact amount promised by Diana

The donation allowed him to be fitted with prosthetic feet.

Curryong

^ That's a terrific gesture, and good on them for doing it. He is walking now because of the promise made by Diana.

TLLK

Quote from: amabel on April 14, 2017, 07:37:49 AM
has anyone seen pics of this new Diana Garden? I saw a picture and it looked MUCH too formal, with rigid rows of flowers nad it all seemed white.  I was very disappointed. 
@amabel I saw it in person two weeks ago. When I saw it the garden looked less formal because it appears that some of the earlier more rigid flowers had died back and newer ones had now begun to bloom. 

Double post auto-merged: August 10, 2017, 11:20:10 PM

Quote from: Curryong on August 10, 2017, 11:09:08 PM
^ That's a terrific gesture, and good on them for doing it. He is walking now because of the promise made by Diana.
Yes it is and I'm pleased that they followed through on her promise to him.

Duch_Luver_4ever

When I saw the video of the archway, it reminded me of Highgrove in the 80s doc where Charles said he wanted to make one to grow beans on, and it made me feel so sad that while it has flowers that were her favorite, and she did enjoy the use of the KP garden, it just made me think of Charles,highgrove and unhappy times.

Perhaps if i saw more of it in the flesh it would be different.
"No other member of the Royal Family mattered that year, or I think for the next 17 years, it was just her." Arthur Edwards, The Sun Photographer, talking about Diana's impact.

amabel

Quote from: TLLK on August 10, 2017, 11:19:30 PM
@amabel I saw it in person two weeks ago. When I saw it the garden looked less formal because it appears that some of the earlier more rigid flowers had died back and newer ones had now begun to bloom. 

Double post auto-merged: August 10, 2017, 11:20:10 PM

Yes it is and I'm pleased that they followed through on her promise to him.
I haven't been to see it yet, on past performance memorials to her have been a disappointement.  but it might be nice next spring...

TLLK

Wednesday 30th August 2017

The Duke of Cambridge and Prince Harry will meet at Kensington Palace with representatives from charities supported by their mother Diana, Princess of Wales. The engagement will allow the Princes to pay tribute to the life and work of their mother the day before the 20th anniversary of her death.

https://www.facebook.com/majestymaga...93958017303528

Advanced notice of their upcoming joint engagement at KP. I like that Diana's former charities will be on hand including those that have been taken over by her children ie: Royal Marsden

Curryong

I am very glad to see that the brothers are going to see the White Garden and also meet representatives of the charities that were so close to Diana's heart, and of course in many cases they have taken over. This will be a marvellous opportunity for them and William and Harry to reflect on the many lives Diana was able to change and brighten and give hope to.

TLLK

Update on the statue for KP gardens. As I suspected, the brothers have asked the sculptor to make some alterations (most likely of the model) before it is cast or sculpted.

Diana statue set to go on display in Kensington to commemorate 20 years since her death is delayed | Daily Mail Online

QuoteChanges that the Duke of Cambridge and Duke of Sussex are said to have made to the design of a statue of Princess Diana are delaying its completion and display in Kensington Gardens.

Two years ago, the brothers revealed that they had commissioned the statue of their mother for the public part of their then Palace home, to commemorate 20 years since her death in Paris in 1997.

Yesterday, a Kensington Palace spokesman told The Mail on Sunday: ?This is not a short-term project, this is a statue that will last for ever.

?It is about ensuring that this enduring monument is completely right.?

LouisFerdinand