The Norwegian Royal Family General News and Discussion

Started by TLLK, April 25, 2018, 08:54:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TLLK

Princess Martha Louise has chosen to step back from official royal duties. At the request of the King and Queen, she will retain the title of Princess. Upon their marriage, her fiance will not receive a title keeping to a tradition that was created for the King's sisters' husbands.

Princess Martha Louise steps back from royal duties amidst controversy ? Royal Central

QuoteThe only daughter of King Harald V of Norway has given up royal duties amid ongoing controversy.

Princess Martha Louise will step back immediately from representing her family. In a brief statement, the Norwegian Court said ?Princess M?rtha Louise wishes to differentiate more clearly between her own activities and her relationship to the Royal House of Norway. The Princess has therefore decided, in consultation with His Majesty The King and other close family members, that she will not carry out official duties for the Royal House at the present time.?

The princess will also give up all her patronages. The Norwegian Royal Court announced that organisations affected will be offered the patronage of another member of the Royal Family.

Taking to Instagram, Princess Martha Louise said she had made the decision to bring ?calm? to the Royal Family. In recent months, there has been debate about whether she would keep her title as she and her fiance, Durek Verrett, attracted controversy.

Durek Verrett, a self proclaimed shaman, was sharply criticised after starting to sell a medallion which he said cured Covid. The couple have also run live broadcasts on social media called ?The Princess and the Shaman?. Now, the Royal Court says that the decision taken by the Princess to step back means that ?must not highlight affiliation with the Royal Family in their own social media channels?.

However, the princess will retain her title and she will remain as Chair of Princess Martha Louise?s Fund.

IMHO the Norwegian Royal House has made the only decision possible in this situation. The public and I imagine the Norwegian government  were becoming increasingly skeptical of some of the claims that Shaman Durek was making regarding some of his products ie-A charm that would cure or prevent COVID and were reluctant to see his business linked with the NRF. The affected patronages will now have the option of another member of the NRF as their Royal Patron-The King,  the Queen, the CP couple and possibly Princess Ingrid Alexandra. (I don't see Princess Astrid taking on any new patronages and Prince Sverre Magnus is too young.)

QuoteNow, the family says they have taken the decision for the princess to step back to ?? to safeguard the relationship of trust with the Norwegian people, while at the same time taking care of the family in the best possible way. The boundaries of what one can say and do, while representing the Royal Family, have been questioned and challenged. That?s why we see a need to clarify roles and the use of the princess title.?

And the family sharply criticised racist attacks on Durek Verrett, saying ? The racist attitudes Durek Verrett has been subjected to, especially on social media, we strongly oppose. It is a strength that the Royal Family reflects the ethnic diversity that exists in Norway. It can be difficult to understand how direct or indirect, conscious or unconscious racism can be experienced, for those of us who are not in it ourselves. Unfortunately, there are many in Norway today who experience discrimination and racism. We must work together to put an end to this.?

Princess Martha Louise is the elder of the two children of King Harald and Queen Sonja and is fourth in line to the throne of Norway.

TLLK

And now for something completely different...Norway's version of "The Masked Singer." Maud Angelica Behn,  daughter of Princess Martha Louise and the late Ari Behn was unmasked in round two.

Which royal just got unmasked on ?The Masked Singer?? ? Royal Central

QuoteIn singing round number two, they sang a song from a film they like a lot. After both rounds, it was the character ?Dandy? who had to take off their mask. And to everyone?s surprise it was Maud Angelica Behn, daughter of Princess M?rtha Louise and granddaughter of King Harald and Queen Sonja. Behn sang ?Oops I Did It? again by Britney Spears and ?Young And Beautiful? by Lana Del Ray.

After the exit from the TV show that airs on the Norwegian state television channel NRK, Behn said: ?When in life are you asked to be part of The Masked Singer, I thought it seemed very cool and it was nice to be invited. I wanted to challenge myself and dare to stand on a stage. Then I jumped straight into singing live. It helped a bit to be behind a mask, but I am very proud of myself for pulling it off.?

The 19-year-old says that it has not been easy to lie to friends and family, but that several of her friends recognized her voice in the end and began to become suspicious. Despite the fact that the princess?s daughter managed to keep the secret until now, there was one person who knew of her involvement all the time ? her mother, Princess M?rtha Louise.

Curryong

I suspect that there have been some kind and tactful but firm things said to Princess Martha Louise by her parents and brother in the last few weeks. I?m glad that M-L has come to this decision, which imo is absolutely the right one. It won?t prevent Durek from making hay about being married to the daughter of a King in the future, but at least he can?t do any harm now to the family?s reputation with its charities.

Curryong

?Americans don?t understand the bearing of this here. They don?t. He thought he could do whatever he wanted without compromising us at all.?
Well, Queen Sonja, that?s put Durek nicely back in his box! Interesting too that apparently Haakon played a large part in getting this thing settled satisfactorily rather than his father taking charge. And I think it?s great that King Harald and Queen Sonja were prepared to hold a question and answer session with the Norwegian media about the situation. (Apparently Durek was getting ready to produce some commercial production called ?The Princess and the Shaman? but that seems to now be off the table.

King Harald and Queen Sonja on royalty ? ?Americans don?t understand? ? Royal Central

Amabel2

I thought that Martha Louise had stopped royal duties a few years ago.

TLLK

Princess Martha Louise had retained a few of her patronages, but yes she'd more or less stepped back from her royal duties over the years.

Curryong

According to the Court Circular King Harald and Queen Sonja of Norway visited that King at Windsor this week. Isn?t Charles taking over Windsor Park Ranger duties as well as his myriad other things? I expect the King and Queen were on one of their pre Xmas shopping forays to London. The Scandi royals were fond of doing that. I believe Queen Daisy used to enjoy doing so. And Sofia of Greece used to come too, and stay with her brother.

TLLK

I do believe that the late Queen and DoE used to host the late King Olav and later Harald and Sonja at Windsor and at Sandringham over the decades. Lovely to see that the tradition is carrying on. I believe that QMI (Daisy) likes to do some of her Christmas shopping in London each year. She's usually attending a Danish-UK event too with the Duchess of Gloucester.

TLLK

The Nobel Peace Prize activities in Oslo. TM the King and Queen plus the Crown Prince couple are participating. As per Albert Nobel's request, the Peace Prize is awarded in Norway, while the other prizes are presented in Sweden. The Peace Prize ceremony is a daytime event so the dress code is suited to the time of the presentation. The ladies from the NRF wear dresses, suits and hats to this event.

459193660 - Nobel Peace Prize 2022: Save the Children's Peace Prize PartyBeelden | ANP Foto

QuoteNobel Peace Prize 2022: Save the Children's Peace Prize Party
10 December 2022 (11:34)

Oslo 20221210.
From left: peace prize winners Natallia Pintsyuk, representing her husband, the activist Ales Byalyatski from Belarus, Jan Ratchinsky, representing the Russian organization Memorial and Oleksandra Matviytsyuk, representing the Ukrainian organization Center for Civil Liberties (CCL), on stage together with Crown Princess Mette- Marit and Crown Prince Haakon during Save the Children's Peace Prize Party at the Nobel Peace Center in Oslo on Saturday

Prize winners with the NRF at the Royal Palace.

Beelden | ANP Foto

Live TV coverage of the Nobel Peace Prize ceremony which is taking place in person for the first time in 2 years.  :snowflake:

QuoteThe 2022 Nobel Peace Prize award ceremony takes place in Oslo City Hall.

The ceremony contains artistic performances, the speech of the Chair of the Nobel Committee, the presentation of the diploma and gold medal to representatives of the laureates, and the Nobel Peace Prize lectures.

2022 Nobel Peace Prize award ceremony - YouTube

TudorQueen

The king has been admitted to hospital with an infection. This is the second time this year.

Mobile uploads

Haakon is regent while his father is in hospital.s

TLLK

More on this story. It is definitely a concern that KH has now been admitted to the hospital again. Best wishes for a speedy and full recovery.

BREAKING: King Harald admitted to hospital ? Royal Central

Curryong

I hope the King will not be stuck in hospital for Christmas. That would be sad. These infections with very elderly people have to be viewed with caution though.

TLLK

Update-CPss MM and PSM were seen driving to the hospital today to visit the King.

The official Christmas Photoshoot is cancelled for now.

TLLK

King Harald returns home after hospital treatment ? Royal Central

QuoteKing Harald has been discharged from hospital after a three day stay.

The King of Norway was treated for an infection at the Rikshospitalet in Oslo.

The 85 year old was admitted on December 19th 2022 and put on intravenous antibiotics. He went home on December 21s 2022 and will continue to rest ahead of the Christmas break.

Curryong

Hurray! Glad to see that the King has overcome his latest bout of illness and won?t be in hospital for Xmas.

TLLK

The King announces that he's giving up competitive sailing.

King Harald of Norway announces his retirement (but not as King!) ? Royal Central

QuoteKing Harald of Norway has announced his retirement. But fear not, His Majesty is not stepping away from the throne, but his lifelong hobby ? sailing.

His Majesty has made the decision to no longer participate in international competitions, something he has done all of his adult life.

The King, aged 85, has recently been discharged from hospital after receiving treatment for an infection.

Sailing has been a lifelong passion for King Harald, and no doubt, the decision to call an end to his competitive career will have been a difficult one.

Well into his eighties, the Norwegian monarch participated in international competitions.

In 2019, King Harald joined King Felipe of Spain in Mallorca for a sailing regatta ? one of his last international competitions before the pandemic hit.

In his younger years, His Majesty competed in three Olympic Games ? Tokyo 1964, Mexico City 1968, and the 1972 Olympics in Munich.

On each occasion, His Majesty failed to win a medal, however, he did have the honour of carrying the Norwegian flag at the Opening Ceremony in Tokyo.

Curryong

Quote from: TLLK on December 23, 2022, 03:37:40 PM
The King announces that he's giving up competitive sailing.

King Harald of Norway announces his retirement (but not as King!) ? Royal Central

QuoteKing Harald of Norway has announced his retirement. But fear not, His Majesty is not stepping away from the throne, but his lifelong hobby ? sailing.

His Majesty has made the decision to no longer participate in international competitions, something he has done all of his adult life.

The King, aged 85, has recently been discharged from hospital after receiving treatment for an infection.

Sailing has been a lifelong passion for King Harald, and no doubt, the decision to call an end to his competitive career will have been a difficult one.

Well into his eighties, the Norwegian monarch participated in international competitions.

In 2019, King Harald joined King Felipe of Spain in Mallorca for a sailing regatta ? one of his last international competitions before the pandemic hit.

In his younger years, His Majesty competed in three Olympic Games ? Tokyo 1964, Mexico City 1968, and the 1972 Olympics in Munich.

On each occasion, His Majesty failed to win a medal, however, he did have the honour of carrying the Norwegian flag at the Opening Ceremony in Tokyo.

At his age I think it?s giving up sailing is a wise choice for King Harald. It must be quite sad though, as it?s been a lifelong hobby.

TLLK

The Year in Review for Norway's Royal Family.

A future queen steps into the spotlight as a princess retreats from it: the Norwegian Royal Year ? Royal Central

QuoteIt was an important year in Norway as the future queen finally came of age, but that same year, her aunt stepped away from the spotlight. Let?s take a look at the Norwegian royal year.

TLLK

Princess Martha Louise has postponed her marriage to her fiance Shaman Durek.

Princess M?rtha Louise postpones her wedding with Durek Verrett ? Royal Central

QuoteIt has been ten weeks since Princess M?rtha Louise left the Norwegian royal house abruptly, primarily due to her engagement to the controversial Shaman Durek. However, seven months after the engagement, no official wedding date has been announced. All inquiries about the wedding?s timing remain unanswered.

Now, Norwegian and Swedish press state that the wedding had been postponed indefinitely due to the ill health of Durek Verrett.

It appears that Durek?s health issues are the reason for the delay in his and Princess M?rtha Louise?s wedding, according to the Norwegian magazine ?Se og H?r? and the Swedish magazine ?Svensk Damtidning.? The publications specifically cite Durek?s severe kidney disease as the cause. Durek has been open about his kidney problems and discussed it in an episode of Roxie Nafousie?s podcast ?The Moments That Made Me,? describing how the disease affected him starting when he was 20 years old.

Curryong

I believe one of Durek?s sisters already donated one of her kidneys. The problem with severe kidney disease like his now is not only finding a suitable donor for a transplant but all the health complications that can come (and are obviously happening in this case) when one kidney is trying to do the work of two and the remaining original kidney is failing. Durek is probably not working right now and his ongoing illness means great adjustments must be made, so it?s just as well that the wedding be postponed for a while.

TLLK

As I recall Sweden's Prince Daniel also had a kidney transplant.

TLLK

Princess Martha Louise has given a controversial interview to Swedish television in which she blames the press for her ex-husband's suicide. She also states that she wishes to become a working royal again. The NRF declined to comment upon the interview.

Princess M?rtha Louise speaks of royal comeback and blames the press for ex-husband?s death ? Royal Central

QuotePrincess M?rtha Louise of Norway has given a controversial interview to Swedish television in which she talks about the death of her ex-husband, and plans for a royal comeback.

In a major interview with to show ?Min sanning? which translates as ?My truth?, the Princess opens up on hopes that she can make a ?comeback? and represent the royal house again. In November last year, it was announced that M?rtha Louise would no longer represent The Royal Family after several of the organisations she was a patron of ended their cooperation.

At the time, this was reported to have occurred because of controversial views held by the princess and her fianc?, Durek Verrett. Among other things, Verrett has received a lot of attention for a medallion he is selling, which he claims helped him recover from coronavirus. In the interview, Princess M?rtha Louise says that she believes that her fianc??s statements were being taken out of context.

She answers on questions regarding a comeback: ?Yes, if I get the opportunity, I will say yes to it.?

The princess believes that she had to quit, not because of anything she herself has done, but because of things her fianc? Durek Verrett has said, or because of the way he is perceived. She questioned in the interview whether the conclusion would have been reached if she was a man. Princess M?rtha Louise also says that Verrett has been met with racism, and that she now sees Norway in a totally new way.

The Princess said: ?It feels a bit difficult at a time when women?s rights are so strong, and we women are on the ?equal line?, as it were, as men. But do we really do that? Would it have been the same if I had been a man? I don?t think so.?

Princess M?rtha Louise has reacted several times to the press and what she believes is a hunt for headlines and clicks. Princess M?rtha Louise further states: ? I am probably the one in Norway who has received the most criticism of all, I think?.

Princess M?rtha Louise?s ex husband, writer and artist Ari Behn, took his own life on Christmas Day 2019.

Mr Behn was married to the Princess from 2002 to 2017, with Princess M?rtha Louise saying in the SVT program that the person who she chooses to be in a relationship with always gets criticised.

She claims that the press attention harmed Behn, who received praise for his debut book in 1999, but that he ?never again received good criticism? of either books or art when he was married to her.

On the question whether the press is responsible for his death, the Princess said: ?They said so themselves. His mental health depended a lot on him getting criticism in the media.

?But I am not saying it was anyone?s fault. It is always how you handle criticism.  The press took self-criticism after he died, that they were perhaps a little harsh towards him, and that he only received criticism and was actually a very nice person. They never said that when he was with me. Then he was just a peacock and arrogant for them.?

Norwegian press has been in contact with the Princess?s manager, Carina Scheele Carlsen, who states that she does not wish to comment on the matter beyond the TV interview. The communications manager at the Norwegian Royal Court states that the Royal Family does not want to comment on the interview.