Duke and Duchess of Sussex All Legal Actions Part 2

Started by TLLK, November 12, 2021, 12:29:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TLLK

Welcome to Part 2 of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex Legal Actions.

wannable

Jack Royston
@Jack_Royston
Meghan Markle's lawyer accuses senior palace figure of working against her. Jenny Afia says mystery source in Royal Household provided information to "defeat" the privacy lawsuit against The Mail on Sunday. Judgement in appeal case is Thurs, Dec 2.

Meghan Markle's lawyer has accused a "senior figure" in the palace of giving information to a U.K. tabloid "in order to help defeat" the duchess's privacy lawsuit.

Meghan is suing The Mail on Sunday for printing a letter she sent her father begging him to stop talking to the media on the grounds it violated her privacy and copyright.

The Duchess of Sussex was subsequently forced into an embarrassing apology, admitting she mislead the court, after her former communications secretary handed over her private messages.

However, Jason Knauf is not the only palace insider to have provided material to the tabloid, after outgoing editor Ted Verity spoke of a separate mystery "high-grade" source.

Now Meghan's lawyer, Jenny Afia, has accused that anonymous palace figure of trying to undermine the case against the newspaper's publisher, Associated Newspapers Ltd.

Meghan Markle's Lawyer Accuses Senior Palace Figure of Working Against Her

IF this Newsweek article is true, MM's lawyer is angry that her client has been caught lying to the court (basically the lawyer was expecting no one to open pandoras box with Meghan's lies).

* IOW, if anyone in the RIF need to see again the court documents  where MM's lawyers before the apology had sworn what we all know now that she lied.
The PDF document is heavy, quickly; 22/09/2020 Court ordered Meghan to hand over all emails, messages, etc. to validate what the MOS was stating that there is evidence.  Meghan's lawyer Ian Mills told the court during the deadline of delivering emails that all any texts is deleted in 30 days. Sworn Statement.

Busted.

TLLK

I wonder if the Sussexes have regrets for not sharing that they had been involved with the authors of Finding Freedom?   :(

PrincessOfPeace

It was an odd position to take in the first place as it was painfully obvious Omid Scobie had access to inside information.

Curryong

I do think it would have been better to have remained silent about the contribution via JK towards the bio FF. And I certainly wouldn?t have trusted JK to keep his mouth closed, so I would have admitted to a certain amount of cooperation with Scobie and Durward in court documents. Having said that, the court case was a suit about privacy and copyright not about how much Meghan chose to tell Scobie via Knauf in one two hour meeting. The case was and is not about FF at all.

Scobie also got some things wrong about the Sussexes lives, as many biographers do.

And it?s hardly a crime to have biographers closely cooperating with you and about you. Camilla and Charles separately and together have done so with Junor in two books. Angela Levin positively boasted how close she was to Harry for a year in her last bio of him, and it was virtually acknowledged that Robert Jobson had a great many of Charles?s aides speak to him about their boss in the Charles 70th birthday bio he wrote.

wannable

MM apologized, she forgot.

Tomorrow is the verdict of the MOS case. If Newsweek is correct, then MM lawyer is angry that another top senior palace person gave witness which 'defeats ' MM as alleged in the article. Let's see. There's a serious affront of perjury, which the first witness Jason Knauf gave, 30 pages of emails and texts, whilst the second is a mystery.

In a normal world, people in office atmosphere can't keep silent when witnessing something bad, in this case lies. I have 1 experience. The repeated offender was causing havoc, a domino effect, so I fully understand to do the correct thing. Now a days, we, everyone in the Co has access to a private and confidential line to report misdeeds.

I don't know why MM didn't want to disclose her relationship with Omid.  The other authors didn't have that drama. The most twitter boastful was Jobson. They all followed their subject, duties, tours, in order to chat, get a bone here and there. Harry had no complaint when Angela said she did this method.

TLLK

Honestly I believe it would have been better for them to acknowledge their involvement and for Meghan to own up at the beginning of the matter that she did write the letter with the public in mind with the cooperation of her former team than stating it was meant to be private.  While it might have been uncomfortable at first, I believe that it would have been far better than where she is now.  :( Hindsight is as always 20-20.

Well we'll just have to see what the Appeal Court's decision is tomorrow.

PrincessOfPeace

Meghan Markle has won an appeal hearing in her tabloid privacy case against the Mail on Sunday.

The judgement read: "The Court of Appeal upheld the judge's decision that the Duchess had a reasonable expectation of privacy in the contents of the letter and those contents were personal, private and not matters of legitimate public interest."

Judgement: "The articles in MoS  interfered with the Duchess' reasonable expectation of privacy and were not a justified or proportionate means of correcting inaccuracies about the letter that had been contained in an article published on Feb 6 in People magazine in the US."

Nightowl

Meghan started off with a bang of doing great things while working as a member of the royal family, now left to herself, she is sinking fast.  Lying on Oprah, lying to the courts and make a fool of herself on Ellen ......in my honest opinion, this woman is in need of help....I have seen the same behavior in others close to me and the end results are not good.   At this point what does she want and from who ...one thing I do know.......*Respect is not a given in life regardless if you have money, power or title, it is given on how you treat others and the world*......Meghan has lost the *respect* from so many all because she LIES and now it is hard to believe a word she says.  Does she think that *forgetting * is going to make it all go away, that is just a cover-up to her behavior........and the same goes for Harry.  Just Sad what they have become in their own right for who they are now is on *them*.

Curryong

Good. I?m glad Meghan won. There will be no trial and she won costs. A line in the sand indeed against a notorious tabloid and sister newspapers.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-59502787

Meghan speaks about it.

Meghan Markle Speaks Out After Winning Battle With Mail On Sunday - YouTube

sara8150

I can?t believe Meghan wins plus no trial or whatever she hired power of attorney I knew that!! I?m sure Meghan insulted the HM Queen Elizabeth II plus member of royal family not necessarily for that!! But she is former actress under her belts I?m called Meghan black widow I?m sure Meghan broke royal rules,traditional rules no photocall or whatever

PIERS MORGAN: Put your gloating champagne away, Princess Pinocchio | Daily Mail Online

STEPHEN GLOVER: If Meghan Markle really wanted to fight for the truth, she would come to court | Daily Mail Online

DAILY MAIL COMMENT: A dark day for truth and free expression | Daily Mail Online

Associated Newspapers is considering Supreme Court appeal of privacy ruling in Meghan Markle lawsuit | Daily Mail Online

Meghan Markle admitted she misled court but trial refused over publication of letter to her father | Daily Mail Online

Meghan Markle Wins Court Appeal in Privacy Battle Against U.K. Tabloid | PEOPLE.com

Meghan Markle wins privacy battle over letter to estranged father - read statement | HELLO!

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-59503922

How Meghan took personal risks in Mail on Sunday privacy victory | Meghan, the Duchess of Sussex | The Guardian

Meghan Markle news: Duchess of Sussex slammed for press attacks despite court win | Royal | News | Express.co.uk

Meghan Markle sends fans hidden message as she celebrates court win | Royal | News | Express.co.uk

Meghan Markle's court drama NOT over as Supreme Court move looms | Royal | News | Express.co.uk

Meghan Markle: Fears court win could set ?dangerous precedent? ? ?Troubling judgement? | Royal | News | Express.co.uk

Thomas Markle's warning to Meghan and Prince Harry: 'You owe me' | Royal | News | Express.co.uk
OUCH!!

Mail on Sunday v Meghan: Publisher considers appeal citing 'issues with duchess' credibility' | ITV News

Court privacy ruling allows Meghan Markle to condemn the British tabloid press | ITV News

Piers Morgan viciously brands Meghan a 'manipulative piece of work' after court victory - Mirror Online

Meghan Markle WINS bombshell legal appeal over 'private' leaked letter to dad - Mirror Online

Meghan Markle wins privacy battle? but judges point out her 'unfortunate lapse of memory' and fight might not be over

Meghan Markle news latest - Piers Morgan SLAMS 'two-faced' Duchess as she releases statement following court win

5 bombshell 'contradictions' in Meghan Markle's legal battle that punched holes in her story

'Smug' Meghan Markle will feel 'vindicated' after legal win but 'won't win over public' after lies, blast royal

Meghan Markle hits out after winning explosive legal battle despite 'forgetting' to tell court evidence

The Duchess of Sussex wins ruling in case against Mail on Sunday ? Royal Central

sara8150

Quote from: Nightowl on December 02, 2021, 10:59:26 PM
Meghan started off with a bang of doing great things while working as a member of the royal family, now left to herself, she is sinking fast.  Lying on Oprah, lying to the courts and make a fool of herself on Ellen ......in my honest opinion, this woman is in need of help....I have seen the same behavior in others close to me and the end results are not good.   At this point what does she want and from who ...one thing I do know.......*Respect is not a given in life regardless if you have money, power or title, it is given on how you treat others and the world*......Meghan has lost the *respect* from so many all because she LIES and now it is hard to believe a word she says.  Does she think that *forgetting * is going to make it all go away, that is just a cover-up to her behavior........and the same goes for Harry.  Just Sad what they have become in their own right for who they are now is on *them*.

You?re right about that Meghan had lost respect for HM Queen Elizabeth II and member of royal family

PrincessOfPeace

Downing Street today insisted that a free Press is 'one of the cornerstones of any democracy'. One day after the Mail on Sunday lost an appeal in a privacy row with the Duchess of Sussex.

Downing Street responds to Meghan Markle legal case | Daily Mail Online

wannable

People acquainted with the Sussexes will just have to walk on 🥚s, they wouldn't know if you're entering a trap/potential suing.

The timeline of the events to this case, sadly as I said 'at least' she should win copyrights, but she also got the privacy win.  Her dad was setup to a fall, and he fell hook, line, and sinker (6 months with the letter, got triggered with the People Magazine 5 MM friends).

Curryong

News of book sales, since the tabloids love to state that Meghan?s The Bench and FF sold barely anything. A lie in fact, the  journalist and media personality Piers Morgan had a weaker showing. Despite his followers on Twitter (8 million) and Instagram (1.8 million), ?Wake Up: Why the World Has Gone Nuts? has sold just 5,650 print copies since it was published a year ago, according to BookScan.

It?s difficult to know why this happens. Sometimes, publishing and marketing executives say, there is a mismatch between what people post about on social media and the subject of their books. Perhaps the books don?t provide anything beyond what they?ve already put on Instagram. It could be that the author hasn?t pushed the book to his followers effectively, or that those followers (the ones who aren?t bots, or paid for) aren?t terribly engaged with what he posts.

[From The NY Times]

wannable

I find both books (The Bench and FF) a flop. Did my interest make me turn the page for more? No.  :shrug: I've had the pleasure of reading infinitely much better books, which has slow and dull moments, but wait for it...moments.

wannable

The Duchess of Sussex

Following a hearing on 19-20 January 2021, and a further hearing on 5 May 2021, the Court has given judgment for The Duchess of Sussex on her claim for copyright infringement. The Court found that Associated Newspapers infringed her copyright by publishing extracts of her handwritten letter to her father in The Mail on Sunday and in Mail Online. Financial remedies have been agreed.

The full judgment following the 19-20 January hearing and the Court?s summary of it can be found here and here. The full judgment following the 5 May hearing can be found here.

The Mail on Sunday
The Duchess of Sussex  | Daily Mail Online

Curryong

Oh yes? And what is this stupid rag and its sister paper going to do about it? Apart from pay money in judgement (and I hope it?s over ten million) and have its so-called journos squeal and bitch about Meghan for ever more. When?s the front page apology coming for breaching privacy?

wannable

Bottom of front page...Omid is angry, he posted it in his Twitter timeline. Because today is the worst day in paper selling potential, but it is a Sunday, Mail on Sunday...Omid says 26/12 has always been the lowest newspaper day. But then MOS published it by happy-go-lucky 26 which falls Sunday.

IMO she's not 100 percent happy because Jason exposed her. With 10M or not. The end game is one's credibility, no money can buy that. The exposure affects since date of exposure to forever. Or maybe the 10M will give her peace of mind 🤔

Curryong

Quote from: wannable on December 26, 2021, 10:10:04 PM
Bottom of front page...Omid is angry, he posted it in his Twitter timeline. Because today is the worst day in paper selling potential, but it is a Sunday, Mail on Sunday...Omid says 26/12 has always been the lowest newspaper day. But then MOS published it by happy-go-lucky 26 which falls Sunday.

IMO she's not 100 percent happy because Jason exposed her. With 10M or not. The end game is one's credibility, no money can buy that. The exposure affects since date of exposure to forever. Or maybe the 10M will give her peace of mind 🤔

It might be the worst day for selling newspapers, but the message is getting out clear and fast today that this newspaper group has suffered a massive and humiliating defeat. They hoped to hang Meghan out to dry, hoped for a day in court with her, her father and a million clickbait articles. Instead they got toasted. And other outlets are publishing their defeat. They didn?t get one win in court on either privacy or copyright, not from Warby, not from the Supreme Court. Not one.

wannable

I don't think they care, dragging it to the extent of exposing her.

It's not like they're bankrupt. Omid is her closest journalist, he's angry.

wannable

But unnamed 'sources' will no longer speak for the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, their team have promised. The Sussexes' communications team at Archewell will speak on the record or not at all, as fans of the couple are warned to pay no heed to mystery 'sources' claiming to talk for them in the press.3 hours ago

'Sources' will no longer speak for Duke and Duchess of Sussex
?Sources? will no longer speak for Duke and Duchess of Sussex

Behind a paywall, no idea what else it says.  But after one year of so much sunshine sach...who knows.