Main Menu

Spam Invasion

Started by Blue Clover, April 05, 2021, 07:02:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Clover

Hi Everyone,
I can see that spam is invading RIF!  :unsure: I will work on correcting the problem. Hopefully, there is an easy solution.
Thank you all for your patience! 
Best Regards,
Blue Clover

wannable

Yes, too frequently and it's off putting - usually when there is abandonment of a forum, it dies.

A short, mid and long term solution is giving deleting/blocking powers to a frequent Administrator, i.e. TLLK visits several times a day. 

Also, a new registered user, one can block posting previous to having an Administrator on line, once Administrator is online, unblock a new register, if new register posts spam, block.

Blue Cover, you're too busy and hardly visit the RIF.  Just check whenever you're back on line, the spam bots have already filled several pages (at the moment of writing this post - 2 pages), yesterday it was more than the 10 pages that the domain offers as immediate viewing, in other words, the 10 viewing pages were spammed.

PrincessOfPeace

Its so annoying. Maybe try and limit new members from posting until moderator approved.

Blue Clover

@wannable and @PrincessOfPeace
Yes, you are both right! I have been called to do COVID-19 work which is very demanding.
I am in the process of building a team who can visit the site daily since I am unable to do so.

I do not see this - "Just check whenever you're back on line, the spam bots have already filled several pages (at the moment of writing this post - 2 pages), yesterday it was more than the 10 pages that the domain offers as immediate viewing, in other words, the 10 viewing pages were spammed."

Where is the spam now?

wannable

Diana Princess of Wales board.

Blue Clover

I added another layer of Spam protection for the forum - "Require verification on all guest searches."
I am hoping this will block the spam bots.

TLLK

I just removed five spam messages from the Diana, Princess of Wales board at 7:11 pm Pacific Time. Hoping that with the new layer of spam protection, that we'll see an end to the spam bots. Thank you @Blue Clover for those additions. I know that 2020 has been very challenging for you with your COVID 19 work and that it's made it difficult for you to come to RIF.

I'd like to thank all of the RIF members who kept me posted with the "report this post" function over the past days.  :friends: Glad that there is another moderator on board now to assist with these types of issues.

Blue Clover

@TLLK! Thank you so much for your hard work at RIF! You have done a fantastic job! I appreciate everything that you do here.  :notworthy:

I am happy that you have a new moderator joining you on the RIF team! :friends:

A few changes have been made that should take care of the spam problem.  :windsor1:

sara8150

I?m found out on Diana,Princess of Wales board got spam but I got remove but I don?t know who did post on Diana,Princess of Wales as administrator and moderator but let me do that and @Blue Clover @TLLK

I dont know who responsible for that if guest don?t add on Diana,Princess of Wales post without administrators or moderator present

TLLK

Cautiously holding my breath this morning. So far it looks like things have significantly improved.

Amabel2

is this happening because the board is pretty quiet these days?  Any sign of some of hte oldies coming back?

PrincessOfPeace

It appears the spam is gone. Its a good board for both old and new members.