Duke and Duchess of Sussex against popular UK tabloids newspaper

Started by sara8150, April 21, 2020, 03:35:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Princess Cassandra

Who REALLY knows about the timing? Neither the media nor us, I would say! But I would like to think that they wouldn't have asked to move to Frogmore and all the expense that entailed if they knew they were going to leave. Otherwise, that was a pretty rotten thing to do, as it leaves the POW holding the bag.  I think it is more likely that Meghan, having been hit with a lot of criticism during and after her maternity leave and not being the type of person to forge through adversity (it's not enough to just survive....), suddenly wanted to leave. And as we have been told, Harry had been doubting his own suitability for being part of the Royal Firm for quite a while.  They tend to be precipitous, so for all these reasons I find it easy to believe that the decision was made in a short period of time.   

QueenAlex

Quote from: Princess Cassandra on April 27, 2020, 06:00:09 PM
Who REALLY knows about the timing? Neither the media nor us, I would say! But I would like to think that they wouldn't have asked to move to Frogmore and all the expense that entailed if they knew they were going to leave. Otherwise, that was a pretty rotten thing to do, as it leaves the POW holding the bag.  I think it is more likely that Meghan, having been hit with a lot of criticism during and after her maternity leave and not being the type of person to forge through adversity (it's not enough to just survive....), suddenly wanted to leave. And as we have been told, Harry had been doubting his own suitability for being part of the Royal Firm for quite a while.  They tend to be precipitous, so for all these reasons I find it easy to believe that the decision was made in a short period of time.

Its possible.  But I have grown more cynical about them, over the past few months. I think its possible that she at least always had a get out plan in her mind..and maybe Harry too.  She needed to do some time as Duchess, to raise her profile.. so they could not just leave...  and they had to live somwerhre so they got Frogmore.  And having Frogmore and some backing from Charles is a safety net in case the move to the US does not go well. 

FanDianaFancy

They planned their game long ago, actually at least a year ago. See media sources for timeline of trademarks and stuff up to Canada Nov. 2019.

They have what they want.
Why are they complaining?
They are like sleepy little children. Nothing satisfies a cross ( sleepy) child but tobe ignored, then put down for their nap.naptime.

Oh QE . Her thoughts on MegHar
https://media0.giphy.com/media/tHO6AF6e1tfm8/giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47cb1ab519fc827eb21ff37e6c69cb9c5b30b10e55&rid=giphy.gif

Princess Cassandra

Quote from: sara8150 on April 28, 2020, 03:25:28 AM
Meghan says changes would've been made if Kate Middleton was being bashed in the press | Daily Mail Online
Something tells me this is backlash from the Fail. I don't see any of her friends saying this.

Double post auto-merged: April 28, 2020, 03:49:19 AM

Quote from: QueenAlex on April 27, 2020, 07:08:25 PM
Its possible.  But I have grown more cynical about them, over the past few months. I think its possible that she at least always had a get out plan in her mind..and maybe Harry too.  She needed to do some time as Duchess, to raise her profile.. so they could not just leave...  and they had to live somwerhre so they got Frogmore.  And having Frogmore and some backing from Charles is a safety net in case the move to the US does not go well.
If I really wanted to be cynical I would say that Meghan just didn't have a good idea of what royal life and work was going to be all about. She is American and isn't used to protocol where some people have precedence over others. She quickly got disillusioned.  But if I wanted to be very generous I might say that she initiated the move because she was worried about her husband.

Curryong

Quote from: sara8150 on April 28, 2020, 03:25:28 AM
Meghan says changes would've been made if Kate Middleton was being bashed in the press | Daily Mail Online

Yeah, when any of Meghan's friends wish to speak out the Fail is the first port of call. The friends' thoughts automatically run on the lines of 'The tabloids have given her a bad time but the DM is an exception to the rule. Theyve always been fair and balanced in their coverage of Meghan and Harry over the last three years'.

Leaps to the phone or her email in order to confide Meghan's sincerest thoughts about the BRF and her husband's closest relatives straight to this newspaper. And if you believe that you'll believe anything, IMO!

QueenAlex

Quote from: Princess Cassandra on April 28, 2020, 03:41:34 AM
Something tells me this is backlash from the Fail. I don't see any of her friends saying this.

Double post auto-merged: April 28, 2020, 03:49:19 AM

If I really wanted to be cynical I would say that Meghan just didn't have a good idea of what royal life and work was going to be all about. She is American and isn't used to protocol where some people have precedence over others. She quickly got disillusioned.  But if I wanted to be very generous I might say that she initiated the move because she was worried about her husband.

but that's not being cynical.  I think that possibly she DIDNT have a  clear idea of what the UK was like..   Im not really sure what her motives were in marrying Harry or in leaving the RF.  Maybe it was all a calculated  scheme to use royal life as a stepping board back to a more glamourous life in the USA.   They didn't intend to leave completely, so possibly  she always envisaged that after a year or 2, they would manage to have the best of both worlds... they would still do royal duties, but they would also have time to go to America or Canada, and retrun to some kind of outside work which would make money for them..And her being a Princess would have "upped" her fame and profile to the point where she would be able to use it to get back into the movie business at a higher status than she had been during her working years.

She didn't realise, problaby, that that would not be possible and that they would be told it was one life or the other.. and Harry alsos didn't realise it.. 

IMO, if she was just worried about Harry becoming increasingly depressed, (and possibly he has become increasingly depressed in the last year), she would have wanted to take him away form Royal and public life into a quieter way of living.. which they could have done in the UK or abroad..

Princess Cassandra

Quote from: QueenAlex on April 28, 2020, 08:44:49 AM
but that's not being cynical.  I think that possibly she DIDNT have a  clear idea of what the UK was like..   Im not really sure what her motives were in marrying Harry or in leaving the RF.  Maybe it was all a calculated  scheme to use royal life as a stepping board back to a more glamourous life in the USA.   They didn't intend to leave completely, so possibly  she always envisaged that after a year or 2, they would manage to have the best of both worlds... they would still do royal duties, but they would also have time to go to America or Canada, and retrun to some kind of outside work which would make money for them..And her being a Princess would have "upped" her fame and profile to the point where she would be able to use it to get back into the movie business at a higher status than she had been during her working years.

She didn't realise, problaby, that that would not be possible and that they would be told it was one life or the other.. and Harry alsos didn't realise it.. 

IMO, if she was just worried about Harry becoming increasingly depressed, (and possibly he has become increasingly depressed in the last year), she would have wanted to take him away form Royal and public life into a quieter way of living.. which they could have done in the UK or abroad..
The reason I labeled my comment as being cynical is because of her not adjusting to orders of precedence. I am also American and we were brought up to think that nobody is better than another, though it is not always so in practice. Meghan is very competitive; how did she feel when she and Harry had to stand behind the Cambridge couple on the balcony? That was the essence of my "cynicism".   :windsor1: 

wannable

^^It's hard (now) to un-see Omid Scobie as the ''friend'' (s) source, after DW notifying the Twittersphere that the prior sells the alleged inside stories to the Daily Mail. 

QueenAlex

Well if she didn't understand the RF set up, the restrictions of her positon.. it was foolish of her, certainly but not really self centred.  However I can't help thinking that more and more, it looks like she is at best not very self aware and at worst, well ambitious... and selfish.  That she realised her acting career was not going anywhere big, and felt that marriage to a royal would be a more comfortable existence, with a chance to "do good" but also to be comfortably off and famous.   I didn't think she'd want to go back to Acting, but the move to LA looks very much like she does want to be near to Hollywood and in the USA, where when the whole corona thing is over she and H will be in a  better postion to make money...I can't imagine otherwise why they suddenly moved to LA just before travel became impossible.   if she was keen to be near her mother, she could have moved there from the first.. but I think that htat move has made people pretty cynical about her intentions.. that instead of a quiet existence in Canada, she was always aiming at a more glitzy lucrative one in America.   A move to Canada was one thing.. it could be glossed that she and H were unhappy and depressed and wanted out of England and wanted a quiet secluded home in Canada.. But LA? 
I think when people saw the move to LA, it began to look like a quiet exsistence was Defintiely not what she and H wanted, and that they had used the move to Can as a blind...

wannable

She had a machinery behind her, advising her, but the pattern is she wouldn't take the recommendations, opinions, guidance of their team.

The pattern of stories of ignoring the team, if you said no, you're out, etc. So, to me now it is hard to un-see the yes people and sycophants writing this type of stories, MM whining and moaning that she had it bad versus Kate. Are they afraid to notify her that Kate was factually mobbed daily by 20 plus paparazzi's, The Daily Kate follow with name calling and stories about her entire family and her...they just kept their head down and silent treatment.  So we have Omid's (as in various as reference of yes people) that say yes mam we will write the story as you please. Dear God. 

Also it is very telling, both Harry and Meghan are weak, so the combo of the worse of each is devastating, because if not, one of the pair will Make Sense to the Other.   I say this as a royal watcher, it was multiple reported for example that where William had weaknesses, Kate would make sense, help him, reinforce him into bigger and greater, rather than saying yes to please and boom, disasters. And vice versa W to K weaknesses.  Look at Anne, in her VF interview she said straight face that she took 10 years to learn about the children's charity before SPEAKING.   

Curryong

Well, I am a Royal watcher too, and have been since the Queen was a young woman.

And I say that you don't know, none of us can know, who supports their partners and others in that family and in what way. Nor do any of us know who in the RF is 'weak' in their interpersonal relationships, or how strong the bonds are. And 'weak' is a very subjective term to use about other people and their relationships anyway, especially if you are an outsider looking in, and these people ARE strangers to us.

You think Kate and William support and reinforce each other. I think that about the Sussexes. In fact I believe they are very supportive of each other.

If you take the Queen and Prince Philip, each of them is strong in various facets of personality and less strong in others.

They have had a marriage that has gone through troughs and peaks and has endured through seventy+ years. (I can actually remember the British press in the 1950s being extremely indignant because Philip had been away on the Britannia for a very long tour, away for months, and the US Press were commenting on that and on rumours flying around London that another woman was involved.)

I think everyone, in Britain anyway, agrees that the couple have a strong bond.

However, following Philip's retirement he almost immediately took up residence at Wood Farm on the Sandringham estate. Away from his wife of decades and away from his children's permanent homes for the most part.

There were stories bobbing up that Penny Romsey, a romance of his, visited him regularly at Wood Farm. When he became ill a few months ago and had to go into hospital it was reported by media that he and the Queen hadn't met for months and in fact she did not visit him when he was in hospital. (They are at Windsor Castle together at the moment but I would not be surprised to learn that they might meet a couple of times a day and otherwise are apart.)

A very old married couple living permanently apart and not meeting for months at a time might well strike many people, including aged commoners who have celebrated their diamond wedding anniversary, as very odd and unusual behaviour indeed. However it seems to work for them and we will probably never know the ins and outs of it all.

It shows however that what works for one couple would not work for another, and that is especially so with the Cambridges and Sussexes, who are all very different people.

And contrasting and comparing the characters of the four as 'strong' and 'weak' in their marital relationships when you don't know what each couple faces in their everyday lives or the give and take that occurs when people are bonded together is futile, IMO.

About as futile as all the people on Twitter and Tumblr sites who have been predicting a breakup between Harry and Meghan since 2016.

wannable

And yet her 'friends' supposedly in behalf love to moan and complain, sell stories to the Daily Mail.  :orchid:

Curryong

Quote from: wannable on April 28, 2020, 10:53:46 PM
And yet her 'friends' supposedly in behalf love to moan and complain, sell stories to the Daily Mail.  :orchid:

Friends which are almost always anonymous I notice.

Moan and complain that is, according to the Fail, a rag that has its own axe to grind and narrative to push with regard to Meghan and Harry. And this so called newspaper does not bear a high reputation anywhere with regard to publishing the truth about anything.

wannable

The couple created and handed the axe to the world with their infamous African moaning  :shrug: From that moment onward it snowballed.

Princess Cassandra

What I can't figure out is how they thought this would improve things for them. It is another precipitous reaction taken in the heat of the moment. Each time they get more negative press....is it an anger management thing? They have talent and charisma but keep sabotaging themselves.

QueenAlex

Quote from: Princess Cassandra on April 30, 2020, 03:58:26 PM
What I can't figure out is how they thought this would improve things for them. It is another precipitous reaction taken in the heat of the moment. Each time they get more negative press....is it an anger management thing? They have talent and charisma but keep sabotaging themselves.
I dotn see any great talent or charisma.  Harry has a kind heart, but I am not at all sure that I know the Harry that cropped up last year, who was frequently showing signs of depression...and perhaps he really is very depressed and mixed up and dong all sorts of things on the spur of the moment.. which don't work out well. 

PrincessOfPeace

An excerpt from Forbes Magazine:

Meghan Markle's handwriting is studied and full of flourish, with calligraphic influences from the days of the quill. Specifically, she engages in decorative flyaway backstrokes off the tops of two of her taller consonants, the "d" and the "h," when she uses them in the lower case. It's essentially a fashion photographer's trick redacted to penmanship: The selected letters bearing the backstrokes seem to carry long banners that arc back dramatically in a breeze from an offstage wind machine blowing left, against the right-leaning slant of the cursive. The point is that the flourish is a willed construct, meant to make a splash as it is seen.

It's not known when Ms. Markle took up this habit, but perhaps we'll learn that if her invasion of privacy and copyright infringement lawsuit against the London Mail on Sunday successfully lumbers toward trial in the coming weeks before Justice Mark Warby. Because: One crucial piece of evidence in the trial, representing the core of the copyright-infringement charge as well as a related data-protection angle, is a five-page handwritten letter that Meghan Markle wrote and reportedly FedExed to her father, Thomas, in August 2018, shortly after her marriage to Prince Harry.

Lawyers for the defense of the newspaper group ? which published excerpts from the letter and a facsimile excerpt of the letter's first few lines after their Los Angeles correspondent received it personally from Mr. Markle in Febraury 2019 ? have already made clear in the preliminary jousting that Ms. Markle's elaborate handwriting and preparation of the letter's five mistake-free pages will play a role in the defense. But the exact number of the charges that will be argued in court awaits a judgement by Justice Warby on issues raised in a preliminary hearing on April 24.

Forbes: The Duchess, Her Father, And The Press: As Meghan Markle?s Privacy Lawsuit Moves To Court, The Defense Plans To Use Her Father?s Evidence Against Her

wannable

PA Media
@PA

#Breaking The publisher of the Mail on Sunday has won the first High Court skirmish in the Duchess of Sussex?s privacy claim against it over publication of a letter to her estranged father.

^ Meghan will be paying GBP 50 Thousand in costs.

Princess Cassandra

Quote from: QueenAlex on April 30, 2020, 04:30:13 PM
I dotn see any great talent or charisma.  Harry has a kind heart, but I am not at all sure that I know the Harry that cropped up last year, who was frequently showing signs of depression...and perhaps he really is very depressed and mixed up and dong all sorts of things on the spur of the moment.. which don't work out well.
I agree that charisma is a matter of opinion, but when you see how they relate to people in person....that is something not many have. It is a certain "Je ne sait quoi" that they have that attracts in person, though in pictures and quotes it is not the same. That is something that is not learned, it just is. Harry sparkled even as a child. I believe they could translate it into something very positive if anger and resentment were to subside. Unfortunately, the legal battles are likely to prevent that, at least for now.

wannable

The couple (Meghan) IMO will settle the legal case.  Having 5 friends legally swear on oath, sign up, etc. who is who, who read, who had, who fillintheblank, who said about the letter, etc. may end them jailtime max 10 years, min 1 year.  When it reaches this stage MM lawyers will have to explain to the friends the deposition; their email, cellphone and the operators they each use (gmail, Hotmail, corporate mail, cellphone operators) intervened to review the entire 2018 onward to see if they were 'plotting'.

Once they settle the case, they can move forward to happier times with their charisma.

QueenAlex

Quote from: Princess Cassandra on May 01, 2020, 11:44:35 AM
I agree that charisma is a matter of opinion, but when you see how they relate to people in person....that is something not many have. It is a certain "Je ne sait quoi" that they have that attracts in person, though in pictures and quotes it is not the same. That is something that is not learned, it just is. Harry sparkled even as a child. I believe they could translate it into something very positive if anger and resentment were to subside. Unfortunately, the legal battles are likely to prevent that, at least for now.
I don't think either he or William were anything special as children, rather spoiled kids.. and they went on being spoiled Hooray Henries as youths. He improved when in the army, and he has a kind heart and good nature.. but all the same when I hear all the stuff he came out iwht in the 6 month or so before he and Meg lieft, I have wondered how much "jolly cheerful Harry" who seemed to be good at the job...was a fa?ade and underneath it all he was very confused and unhappy and angry...

Curryong

This case was and is first and foremost about copyright and that hasn't been thrown out. The main body of the case was not not defamation of character, so this decision is not really surprising, IMO.. Those are separate issues. I?m sure Meghan knew this ruling was likely but took a chance to put the other assertions in, anyway. This case is going ahead and it's by no means over.

TLLK

Here is the full summary from the courts. (Click on the PDF files in the link)

HRH The Duchess of Sussex -v- Associated Newspapers | Courts and Tribunals Judiciary

QuoteIn The High Court Of Justice
Business And Property Courts

1 May 2020

Before
Mr Justice Warby

Between:
HRH The Duchess of Sussex ? Claimant
? and ?
Associated Newspapers Limited ? Defendant

Here is the response from the Duchess of Sussex's legal team.

Twitter (Click here to read it.)

Curryong

Quote from: Princess Cassandra on May 01, 2020, 11:44:35 AM

I saw Harry over the years in England, and with his mother on occasion. I saw him at Xmas at Sandringham the year he first grew his beard. And of course I was there when he and Meghan visited Melbourne when they were on tour.

I saw how people in crowds reacted to Harry in real life and it resembled the way people interacted with Diana, whom I also saw several times. Of course people who have never seen Harry in real life will deny he has charisma, in the same way people denied it with Diana who never saw her except in photos. That doesn't mean it isn't present however, and I can affirm that it is.