Meghan and Smart Works capsule launch on 9/12/19

Started by TLLK, September 04, 2019, 03:27:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TLLK

Twitter

Quotehe Duchess of Sussex will launch the @SmartWorksHQ capsule collection on September 12, in collaboration with @Jigsaw @jlandpartners and her friend @mishanonoo in support of the charity of which Meghan is patron, that helps women back into the workplace

wannable

Apparently these high street fashion houses have worked with various charities in the past, hence MM's capsule collection will only showcase and sell for 2 weeks. 

Past: Any old stuff back to the basement is given away (price is tagged in a invoice to the charity name organization itemized/totalized amount, zero VAT for the tax deduction scheme)

Present: A full size range will be given away on a 1x1 basis (price is tagged too for the same above purpose, but the collection is limited to sales for 2 weeks).  So hopefully people will go in mass to the partnered stores to purchase for charity.

wannable

This event is tomorrow, apparently embargoed rather than live.

TLLK

Here is a photo of collection that has gone on sale. Some items are sold out already due to limited stock for the event.  Prices range from ? 19.50- M and S dress to ? 199.00.-Jigsaw jacket.

Meghan Markle's charity clothes collection is already available to buy

wannable

She truly is the best when speaking, followed closely by the Duchess of Cornwall, both ladies have the natural ability.

According to Emily Andrews: All #smartset clothes available online. #Meghan has bought all of them & will wear others in SA.

I think that's pretty cool, she purchased her own collection and will be wearing the items at the South African tour.

I hope the collection sells out, it would be a win win situation for the women that need the clothing for their first interview and first year of work.

TLLK

@wannable-I agree with you 100%. IMO this will be a fantastic fall for the Queen's grandsons and their spouses with their current and future projects.

Video of Meghan's arrival.

Twitter

sandy

Quote from: wannable on September 12, 2019, 02:52:34 PM
She truly is the best when speaking, followed closely by the Duchess of Cornwall, both ladies have the natural ability.

According to Emily Andrews: All #smartset clothes available online. #Meghan has bought all of them & will wear others in SA.

I think that's pretty cool, she purchased her own collection and will be wearing the items at the South African tour.

I hope the collection sells out, it would be a win win situation for the women that need the clothing for their first interview and first year of work.

I don't think Camilla is gifted in speaking. I think she is adequate. ANd speeches are written for Camilla and she does read them.

TLLK

QuoteShe truly is the best when speaking, followed closely by the Duchess of Cornwall, both ladies have the natural ability.
Among the BRF ladies, yes I agree that these two are in the top spots.
Among the men I'd say it's Edward followed by Andrew.

@sandy-All royals have  speeches written and reviewed before they're delivered in public and it's very rare that they are not previewed before delivery.  Royals might collaborate on them, but they will be proofread and edited if needed.

Curryong

A successful launch for the capsule collection I think, and a good speech from Meghan. The clothing had affordable price tags and IMO there were some nice comfortable pieces there for wearing around the workplace. I hope to see items sold out because these women at Smart Works deserve a boost. Getting back into the workforce is nerve wracking anyway without looking one's best for interviews and those first weeks.

TLLK

The IMPORTANT reason Meghan Markle rushed back to see baby son Archie - royal reveal | HELLO!

QuoteThe Duchess of Sussex stepped out on Thursday for her first official engagement following the arrival of her baby Archie in May, where she launched her new capsule collection with SmartWorks - the charity she is patron of. And her son wasn't far away from her thoughts during the afternoon. The doting mum sweetly left her engagement promptly at 3pm so that she could return to Archie and feed him. She was heard chatting to a group of women who had been helped back into employment by SmartWorks: "I've got to get back to the baby, it's feed time."

From what I have read the event reportedly began at 2pm and Meghan wisely left around 3pm to be there for Archie's feeding time. Baby needs to be the priority at this time in his life.  :wub:

sandy

I am really not happy with how Meghan is criticized in the DM. The offensive comments are front and center. Sad really.

TLLK

@sandy-Use the report button feature on the site. However be patient considering it takes time to remove them. Also perhaps just avoiding the site would be best as everytime a reader clicks on a Meghan story, it encourages more to be written. :shrug:

Video from today's event.

Duchess of Sussex Makes Speech at Smart Works Launch - YouTube

dianab

people are entitled having and expressing a bad opnion about meghan. charles, william and kate et al had to deal with that for years. meghan isnt a saint above the good and the bad

sandy

Some are way over the top and I had given some samples on other threads. It is to me a dislike fest in the comments not just criticism

dianab

expressing dislike for someone isnt a crime. kate was showed the same dislike for several years. even when she did something right there was always snark criticism toward her. there was always mistrust about anything good what she was doing... 'she didnt want to be there', 'it's all PR' etc

TLLK

Quote from: dianab on September 12, 2019, 08:26:26 PM
people are entitled having and expressing a bad opnion about meghan. charles, william and kate et al had to deal with that for years. meghan isnt a saint above the good and the bad
Very true @dianab. While negative opinions are not enjoyable to read.. truly nearly the entire royal family has  had to deal with the same.  :thumbsup:

@sandy-Here are two examples that I shared yesterday to demonstrate the difference between criticism and abuse.

QuoteAbuse-Meghan is an ugly, selfish, greedy (word that rhymes with "witch") who needs to get back to her Compton roots.

Negative Criticism-Meghan should stop clinging to Harry's arm when they perform their joint public engagements as it is unprofessional and undignified.
Use the report abuse button on the DM site and you'll receive a confirmation email from the site noting they've received your complaint and will investigate.

Negative criticism-Not much that you can do other than ignore it. Responding just emboldens and encourages more negative criticism. Correct someone if you know that there is a factual error but if it's just an opinion, there isn't much that you can do about it. :shrug:

Blue Clover

Yes, ignore what makes you feel sad. The bad comments at the DM will eventually go away the more Meghan carries on with her duties. Its good to see her back at work today.

TLLK

Curryong

Across the Atlantic, on the side of the iconic Hearst building in NY, a celebration of the launch of the Smart Works Smart Set capsule collection, via HarpersBazaar US. So spreading the word on behalf of these women trying to re-enter the workforce. Great job!

Twitter

Princess Cassandra

...and highlighting the fact that it is not usually easy for them.

wannable

For what it's worth, a 2nd phase to promo the collection should happen today and for the next 2 weeks of sale.  The ''free'' media so to speak will not advertise it for 'free' 24 hours after, because there are commercial products involved. If only the media can do it for charity? Although the priced items DO have hundreds of competition for the basic capsule collection, and at a cheaper price.  Hopefully, the middleclass women (that's the target group) purchase it with their quarter clothing budget.  It's a very hard industry.

Charles (Duchy Originals) and Waitrose did their 2nd phase with pamphlets then and to date with the weekly mag (Pippa used to write for it).

TLLK

Does anyone know the size ranges available for the clothing? This article is two years old, but the average size for 45% of British women is size 16 UK=size 14 US or larger.

These women are different heights and shapes but are considered to be UK's 'Mrs Average'... because they're size 16

Curryong

^ I believe Meghan stated before the official launch that the clothes were being made for all sizes. Australian sizes are like British ones and Size 16 is er reasonably generous and Size 18 more generous still. I doubt the sizes go below 12 or above 18 however.

Amy Peckerell, Meghan's ex Assistant Private Secretary, was there for the Launch yesterday. Amy said she wanted to come along in support as she thought it was a terrific idea. The two women warmly embraced, so that puts paid to some nasty Twitter rumours.

Duchess of Sussex's former aide given warm hug at fashion launch