Did the monarch hint she plans to hand over crown with this message

Started by Kritter, December 27, 2017, 06:29:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kritter

Queen to retire? Did monarch drop hint in Christmas speech? | Royal | News | Express.co.uk

QuoteBy talking about taking it easy and repeatedly referring to younger members of the Royal family, there is speculation she could hand over the throne soon.

As Queen for the past 65 years, Elizabeth II is Britain?s longest-serving monarch.

But there were reports earlier this year that Her Majesty could abdicate in the near future and make Charles king in all but name

She was rumoured to have told her inner circle that if she is still on the throne at the age of 95, she will ask for a piece of legislation to grant her eldest son full power to reign while she is alive.

MissFrouFrou

These articles have been around for decades! That's what happens when you live until your 90s ... turn the record over.

amabel

Eri

I think she is already handing over the reigns to Chuck ... he will be soon King in all but name ... if you look closely it is a process that has started a few Years back with the Balcony scene ... Phil retiring is another big hint ... it's only natural that is why other Monarchs in other Countries abdicate when reached a certain age ...

amabel

There is no such thing as "king in all but name".  He is POW, as the queen is in her 90s, yes she has been handing over some of her duties to Charles but she is still very much the queen and will be till she dies. She has not given up all her work, just slimmed it down....

Eri

^ I am not saying she will abdicate ... never said such thing ... I can't see her do much in the upcoming Years though ... Chuck will take over ... there is no way she can continue to do her duties like Abroad Trips and it is absurd to say so ... Chuck will be King in all but name ...

royalanthropologist

Of course she is handing over. At 90 I am sure the body starts doing strange unexpected things. For example, C&C's foreign visits are now effectively state visits because the queen will never again go on a long haul flight. Watching her at the state opening last year and the year before, it is only a matter of time before even that is beyond her.  Thankfully the mental capacity is still much there but that is also not a given. It is possible to drastically age within a few months.

The reality is that the reign is changing. The queen defers many things to Charles including roles of members of the family because she knows that her decisions are not likely to last more than a decade from now. And of course there is the incredible pressure of many other monarchs abdicating. If Daisy of Denmark does the same, the queen will be severely tempted. These were her long term friends and "sisters" in government but they are all going out. The Emperor of Japan will be out in two years. It can be a lonely place.
"In the past, people were born royal. Nowadays, royalty comes from what you do"...Gianni Versace

Eri

If Chuck wasn't King in all but name Phil would never retire ... also ... his retirement wouldn't have been such a big deal with staff being woken up in the early hours of the morning ... now ... I know some don't like Chuck but it is what it is ...

amabel

Quote from: Eri on December 27, 2017, 09:29:42 AM
^ I am not saying she will abdicate ... never said such thing ... I can't see her do much in the upcoming Years though ... Chuck will take over ... there is no way she can continue to do her duties like Abroad Trips and it is absurd to say so ... Chuck will be King in all but name ...
that does not make him King. Of course she is doing less, she is 91.  and she wants to spend more time iwht Phil who is now obviously too frail to do many engagments.  I don't know what point you are making...

Windsor

She will be Queen until the end.

This does not mean that she cannot pass certain duties over to Prince Charles - this, already is happening and will continue.

However, to suggest she will abdicate is truly inaccurate.

TLLK

QuoteShe will be Queen until the end.

This does not mean that she cannot pass certain duties over to Prince Charles - this, already is happening and will continue

I agree @Windsor. If it becomes necessary due to a deterioration of  QEII's mental/physical health, then a regency will be declared.