The Hanovers 1714-1901

Started by Windsor, April 15, 2006, 06:10:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Curryong

Quote from: Amabel2 on March 16, 2023, 12:21:45 PM
well to be fair to George, Caroline was a terrible wife.  I dont entirely blame him for trying to divorce her, she had had plenty of affairs herself.

Yes, they were as bad as each other by that time. However, George put no effort into the marriage from the beginning.

Amabel2

Quote from: Curryong on March 16, 2023, 12:30:47 PM
Yes, they were as bad as each other by that time. However, George put no effort into the marriage from the beginning.
nor did Caroline.  She didn't wash, and was silly and vulgar, and once seh had produced a baby, she seems to have flung herself into affairs.

LouisFerdinand

When George IV was Prince Regent he gave orders to John Nash for the creation of Regent's Park in London.

Curryong

Quote from: LouisFerdinand on June 13, 2023, 09:47:17 PM
When George IV was Prince Regent he gave orders to John Nash for the creation of Regent's Park in London.

The Prince Regent had some big plans for that part of London, a large and splendid new Palace for himself, smart town houses within easy reach for his cronies, and lots of parkland! Unfortunately for him the Govt held the purse strings and had other ideas!

LouisFerdinand

The Countess pleaded with King George I for the life of her husband   
James Radclyffe, 3rd Earl of Dertwentwater. James was an English Jacobite.   
The Countess pleading with King George I for the life of her husband James Radclyffe, 3rd Earl of Derwentwater, an English Jacobite, executed for

LouisFerdinand

LouisFerdinand

In 1829 King George IV of England gave the Catholic Emancipation Bill royal assent.

Curryong

Quote from: LouisFerdinand on August 29, 2023, 10:44:44 PM
In 1829 King George IV of England gave the Catholic Emancipation Bill royal assent.

Yes, with great reluctance. Apparently he was drunk (a not unusual occurrence for him) when he signed off on the Act. In his case though, I don?t think it was real anti Catholic prejudice as much as a dislike of the Whig politicians who had been pushing it.

From Wiki
As Robert Peel pointed out to George IV in 1829, every House of Commons elected beginning in 1807 expressed majority support for Catholic emancipation, except that of 1818, which voted only once on the issue, in 1819, and rejected the motion by two votes.[3] Despite this, the votes in the House of Lords were consistently negative, in part because of the king's own opposition. The balance of opinion in the House of Lords shifted abruptly in 1828?29 in response to public opinion, especially reflecting fear of a religious civil war in Ireland.[citation needed] In 1828 the Sacramental Test Act removed the barrier that required certain public officials to be members of the established Church.

?Finally, Tories the Duke of Wellington and Sir Robert Peel changed positions to support the Roman Catholic Relief Act of 1829?. (In other words, The Tory Parliamentary Party were ?persuaded? by their leaders/Party loyalty to vote for it.) ?This act removed many of the remaining substantial restrictions on Roman Catholics throughout the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland.?

LouisFerdinand

On this day, September 22, 1761 ~ The Coronation of King George III and Queen Charlotte of the United Kingdom at Westminster Abbey

LouisFerdinand

Ernest Augustus, Duke of Cumberland (1771-1851) entered the House of Lords as a Tory.
He opposed Catholic emancipation and the Reform Act.

LouisFerdinand

LouisFerdinand

Why is Queen Charlotte's marriage to King George III considered a marriage of madness?
Charlotte Of Mecklenburg Strelitz: A Marriage of Madness - YouTube

Curryong

I feel a bit sorry for Charlotte. She was not unintelligent but she just didn?t seem able to cope at all with George?s insanity and ended up terrified of him. Admittedly mental health conditions were not well understood even in the later 18th century, the so-called ?Age of Enlightenment?. It came down to very odd and unpredictable behaviour that couldn?t be reasoned with.

Charlotte lived at Windsor, near George III but not too close, with her daughters cooped up with her in a sort of nunnery situation. I believe she didn?t want any of them to marry because that would mean being left alone near HIM, ?the Madman in the Attic.? She and they, did escape regularly to London, Bath and seaside resorts and to see her sons and their brothers regularly but I think she regarded it all as chaotic and unpleasant.

This is a reasonably accurate summing-up of the situation, in spite of the stupid and misleading title of the piece. .

?Queen Charlotte: A Bridgerton Story?: The Truth Behind the Real-Life Queen Charlotte and King George III?s Troubled Romance | Vogue,1795%2C%201801%2C%20and%201805.&text=By%201810%2C%20George%20showed%20signs,few%20years%2C%20possibly%20even%20dementia.

LouisFerdinand

If Queen Charlotte had allowed her daughters to marry foreign royals, then she could visit her daughters and sons-in-law and therefore not always be in England.

Curryong

Quote from: LouisFerdinand on October 21, 2023, 10:55:12 PM
If Queen Charlotte had allowed her daughters to marry foreign royals, then she could visit her daughters and sons-in-law and therefore not always be in England.

This article gives the reasons succinctly and well, I think. A couple of them formed romantic attachments to courtiers of various ages. One supposedly had a child. Several did marry later, two in middle age though Amelia, King George?s favourite, died single and quite young. And those that married late remained childless.

?A parcel of old maids? - The daughters of George III - History of Royal Women

The question of the princesses? marriages was something of a taboo subject in the royal household. The King had already stated of his daughters ?I cannot deny that I have never wished to see any of them marry: I am happy in their company, and do not in the least want a separation.? George III had suffered from his first bout of mental illness in 1765, and although he recovered, he suffered several recurrences throughout his reign. Queen Charlotte, in an attempt to keep her husband?s mind calm and undisturbed, discouraged any mention of his daughters marrying. In fact, the Queen herself was opposed to the idea of losing any of her daughters to marriage, particularly as the King?s illness progressed, and she found herself without company except that of the princesses.

?Princess Elizabeth, for example, on meeting her suitor Prince Frederick of Hesse-Homburg when they were both well into middle-age, is said to have stated: ?If he is single, I will marry him?. As Frederick was not considered attractive, nor was his rank equal to hers, it is likely that this was an expression of her (and in all likelihood her sisters?) willingness to accept any suitor as an opportunity to escape the rigidity of lives, which had been restrictive and cloistered, even by the standards of the time.?

LouisFerdinand

Prince George (King George IV) would not even allow his wife Princess Caroline   
to go on a trip without his permission.

Amabel2

Quote from: LouisFerdinand on November 23, 2023, 08:00:43 PM
Prince George (King George IV) would not even allow his wife Princess Caroline   
to go on a trip without his permission.
how would he stop her?  he and Caroline idd not live together after the first few months of their marriage. 

LouisFerdinand

Frederick Louis, Prince of Wales and The Princess Augusta of Saxe-Gotha in 1736   
'Frederick Prince of Wales and the Princess Augusta of Saxe-Gotha', 1736. Artist: Unknown Stock Photo - Alamy   

:xmas21: :xmas21: :xmas21: :xmas21: :xmas21: :xmas21: :xmas21: :xmas21:

LouisFerdinand

The Prince Regent (George) visited the Royal Pavilion at Brighton   
The Prince Regent visits the Royal Pavilion at Brighton stock image | Look and Learn   

:xmas12: :xmas12: :xmas12: :xmas12: :xmas12: :xmas12:

LouisFerdinand

King George II donated the entirety of his royal library to the British Library in 1737.   
He founded the Georg August University in Hanover.     

:epunch: :epunch: :epunch: :epunch: :epunch: :epunch: :epunch:

LouisFerdinand

Caroline of Brunswick was the wife of George, The Prince of Wales (King George IV).   
Whenever Princess Caroline was nice to one of her parents, the other parent would become angry at her.

Curryong

Quote from: LouisFerdinand on January 09, 2024, 08:20:16 PM
Caroline of Brunswick was the wife of George, The Prince of Wales (King George IV).   
Whenever Princess Caroline was nice to one of her parents, the other parent would become angry at her.

I don?t believe a lot of things that are alleged online about historical figures.

I happen to have one of the standard bios on Caroline and that hasn?t come up in my reading of her family background. Her parents were strict with her because (a) it was a cultured court and she was inclined to vulgarities. (B) In her teens she was a bit of a flirt with young officers and being regarded as flirtatious in that way was not considered as applicable to her station and (c) even as a child she was disinclined to bathe regularly or change any underwear or other clothing that had become smelly. No doubt she had many other virtues, she was not pompous or cold for instance, but that doesn?t negate her bad points.

LouisFerdinand

Curryong

Quote from: LouisFerdinand on January 20, 2024, 11:54:09 PM
Why was King George I a most hated sovereign?     
The MOST HATED KING | King George I | History Documentary - YouTube

This ridiculous documentary states that King George I was the ?most hated monarch? in British history. Well, he wasn?t. Not by a long chalk. If English history is included then King John, Richard III and James II would probably come to mind. And George IV was certainly non too popular. At several points during his reign the country was near to revolution (though to be fair this was mainly due to repressive government measures.)

George I was certainly disliked by the Jacobites, whose activities continued in his son?s reign, but Protestant England was greatly satisfied that there were to be no more RC monarchs on the throne.

George I divorced and banished his wife in a cruel manner, preventing their two children from ever seeing her again while he was still Elector of Hanover, had a distant relationship with his son the future George II at least partly because of that,  could scarcely speak a word of English and preferred Hanover.

However the population didn?t really care. The remaining Stuarts were RC and living on the Continent and could stay there. So most hated monarch George I was most certainly not.

LouisFerdinand