The Sussexes' relationship with the press, tabloids, and social media.

Started by Nightowl, January 25, 2023, 07:26:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amabel2

really I cant understand these cryptic posts, so I think I'll stop reading them.

changemhysoul

IPSO released a statement about investigating the compliments made about Jeremy Clarkson

Complaints investigated over Jeremy Clarkson?s article on the Duchess of Sussex

I don't expect it to anywhere

TLLK

Quote from: changemhysoul on February 09, 2023, 07:05:01 PM
IPSO released a statement about investigating the compliments made about Jeremy Clarkson

Complaints investigated over Jeremy Clarkson?s article on the Duchess of Sussex

I don't expect it to anywhere

I believe at some point that the results of the investigation will be made public. IPSO has a duty to investigate the complaints. Now as to the consequences that might be given to Mr. Clarkson and The Sun, that will remain to be seen.

IPSO ? the Independent Press Standards Organisation ? has launched an investigation into an article published by The Sun on 17 December 2022, headlined ?One day, Harold the glove puppet will tell the truth about A Woman Talking B*****ks?. 

The column, by Jeremy Clarkson, was also published online on thesun.co.uk and later removed. 

We are taking forward complaints from two groups, The Fawcett Society and The Wilde Foundation, who said they were affected by breaches of Clause 1 (Accuracy), Clause 3 (Harassment) and Clause 12 (Discrimination) in the article. You can find out more about representative group complaints here: Representative group complaints (ipso.co.uk). 

We will make public the outcome of this investigation through our website and on our social media channels when it is concluded.

In total, IPSO received more than 25,100 complaints from members of the public about this article.

PrincessOfPeace

As bad as it was, IPSO will probably considered it fair comment.

Worth remembering, lPSO, is an industry regulator. Press regulating the Press. 

There's been a press free from government regulation since the 1600s

changemhysoul

A random thought but funny that thought that I saw and agree with, there have been more articles about the imaginary South Park lawsuit and a trademark renewal, Harry's lawsuit against the Mail, for lying about his offer to pay for security.

Esp, from their favorite fans the DM. One would think with the breaking news of Harry coming to the uk not for the coronation but to speak as witness in-person, one would think they'd have 17 articles up about it now.

wannable

The Daily Mail has the largest readership, top 3 worldwide, that is 10 million enter digitally every day.  The usual digital news medium and high are between 1 to 3 million entries daily. To have 10 million people clicking in means  that company tabloid is a large operation.

I'll give this tabloid a 65/35 based on breaking news that turned out to be true. The other 35% in between a true that the 'subject' decided a no go or a full false.  When I say a true that the subject decided a no go because of the breaking news disclosure, it means the subject was discovered by the tabloid, but decided not to do whatever he/she/they were planning to do.  i.e. Harry reinforced this in his Spare book. 

Edit to add Daily Mail: this past 72 hours, in the 65%, there will/may be some sentences or full paragraphs that are ''off'', but the basic info is good.  i.e. the latest tennis and F1 news in sports has this sort of basis is true with a few fan fiction stuff i.e. Novak and Lewis Hamilton. They reported 24 to 36 hours ago, today it has been confirmed by the subjects; Djokovic for Tennis, Lewis Hamilton for F1/Mercedes.

wannable

In a separate comment, in reference to a possible The Tig trademark renewal, it's originator is the New York Post, a USA tabloid.

The New York Post cites a document filed with the US Patent and Trademark Office, seen by the daily newspaper. It reportedly indicates that a prospective relaunched version of the website could encompass articles and interviews on 'food, cooking, recipes, travel, relationships, fashion, style, interior design, lifestyle, the arts, culture, design, conscious living, health and wellness.   

^The NYPost sold its breaking news copyrights to whomever wanted to ''republish'' it.  My friend Google tells me the first ''international'' that purchased NYPost copyright breaking news was UK TATLER Magazine. The above quote.

IF IF we want to go further, with why the media who purchase the copyright goes ''deeper'', my friend Google tells me the likes of the Daily Mail, Fox News and CNN which are 'large operations' have the means to do so, the tools, the know who, the ''contact book'' so they add their stuff in the i.e. NYPost breaking news like saying that their contacts in California suggests it to be true and that Archewell or Meghan is searching for a team to work with her for the relaunch of The Tig.  So every breaking news when purchased by a large corp, it WILL have a dozen of articles divided into fact finding to opinion pieces to what he/she/they wore/looked like if there is a picture or video included.

Curryong

Ref the Daily Fail, people (in Britain anyway, and I suspect elsewhere) don?t read that rag to get serious news from it, but to peruse stuff about celebs, crime, odd occurrences etc, for entertainment purposes. People in Britain who want commentary on political or national crises still turn to the BBC, which, for all its faults still has the stamp of authority. Same with serious topics of conversation.

Nobody with half a brain cell would read the Fail as its first port of call in those circumstances. It?s not regarded as anything other than entertainment. YouGov once did a survey on tabloids and whether their readership believed they printed the truth in their stories. Respondents believed that these rags told the truth in about 13% of their articles as a rule. That was years ago, but I would say that still holds.

changemhysoul

RE: The Tig, this happens every year. She's keeping her trade-mark or whatever so people don't get used to it. It's just funny that they're running imagery stories about this and had so much to say about South Park but nothing to say about the fact that Harry will be speaking against them in court.

Quote from: Curryong on March 18, 2023, 01:25:11 AM
Ref the Daily Fail, people (in Britain anyway, and I suspect elsewhere) don?t read that rag to get serious news from it, but to peruse stuff about celebs, crime, odd occurrences etc, for entertainment purposes. People in Britain who want commentary on political or national crises still turn to the BBC, which, for all its faults still has the stamp of authority. Same with serious topics of conversation.

Nobody with half a brain cell would read the Fail as its first port of call in those circumstances. It?s not regarded as anything other than entertainment. YouGov once did a survey on tabloids and whether their readership believed they printed the truth in their stories. Respondents believed that these rags told the truth in about 13% of their articles as a rule. That was years ago, but I would say that still holds.

I agree overall but there is a reason the Daily Mail and other tabs are said to pick the politicians. They still do have power, I THINK the Daily Mail is still the most read print paper. People trust it, they pump out propaganda.

The owner of the BBC was replaced with a Johnson man and we know about it. 

I don't dismiss the daily maiil because it's one of the main papers that would lie and ramp up hate against a woman of color (well, people of color in general).

I think there is a fine line to walk with them, It's true to say that the average person understand it's tabloid drama and etc but it's also true that they have a lot of sway with the general public.

changemhysoul

TLLK