Emily Lascelles to wed

Started by fawbert, April 10, 2008, 01:01:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fawbert

The law governing the descent of peerages demands that a child - a heir - be born within marriage. The fact that his parents married afterwards is of no help. So, sadly, Ben's younger brother, Alexander, born in 1980, is destined to be the 9th Earl of Harewood.   

Fawbert

Trudie

That is grossly unfair an totally outdated. But i understand it.

BTW Thank you for the fast response :flower:

fawbert

Bceause he was born illegitimately in September 1978.
Fawbert

Trudie

I understand that his parents weren't married at the time of his birth and that is grossly unfair and outdated in light of the fact that his parents later married.

fawbert

But rules are rules, and chaos could reign if the situation was to change. Imagine the scenario.

The Earl of Blankshire has an affair with an actress, Mavis Smith. The affair results in a
pregnancy and Mavis is delivered of the earl's illegitimate  son, Billy Smith. The
affair ends and several years later the duke marries Lady Euphemia Bray,
daughter of the Marquess of Blotland and several healthy legitimate sons follow.
The eldest lad, Peregrine, is heir apparent. Sadly, the countess is knocked down by
a bus in the Old Kent Road and dies. His Lordship is thrown
into a frenzy of grief, and is comforted in his loss by the love of
his youth, Mavis Smith. In time he marries Mavis, thereby legitimating his first born son,
Billy Smith. Under the terms of (let's say)the Peerage Legitimacy Act 2010 - Billy becomes
heir to the Blankshire peerages, 75000 acres of Blankshire and the
Michaelangelo painting of the Blankshire Madonna. Poor Peregrine, the first-born legitimate son
is now disinherited.

The law would make a mockery of marriage, legitimacy, and
bring chaos to the stately homes of England.

===

Fawbert

colinwatkins

I can't say that I'm very interested in your subject, but you really should take up script writing.
You would make a fortune.

Trudie

Fawbs I would really take that suggestion. Your insight really would make you a fortune. :lmao:

heather

" Sadly, the Countess is run down a bus in the Old Kent Road and dies"

ROFL
:teehee:

No wonder we like you so much Fawbs. :flower:

fawbert

Like? Can I possibly hope one day for something more solid, Hezza? :flower:
Fawbert

heather

How about fondness and respect ! :flower:

fawbert

:flowery: :flowery: :flowery:
Fawbert

heather

Jenee

Oh! A forum romance!! :wub2:
"It does not do to dwell on dreams, and forget to live" -Dumbledore

heather

YOu were quick on the "uptake" Jenee! 

Only 3 or 4 days behind! :teehee:

Fawbs and I disagree on many things, but we can agree to disagree without nastiness, as you can see! :thumbsup: