Isabella MacDuff, Countess of Buchan crowned Robert the Bruce at Scone in 1306

Started by snokitty, June 09, 2015, 03:18:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snokitty

Carolyn Harris ‏@royalhistorian

QuoteIsabella MacDuff was the daughter of Duncan III, Earl of Fife&Johanna de Clare (a great-granddaughter of a baron who supported Magna Carta).
Isabella MacDuff married JohnComyn, Earl ofBuchan.During the Scottish Wars of Independence,John supported Edward I&English-Isabella did not!
According to tradition,a Scottish monarch was crowned by a MacDuff-Isabella's brother was in English custody so she crowned Robert the Bruce
Unfortunately for Isabella MacDuff, she was captured by the English later in 1306 along with Robert the Bruce's female relatives.
While Edward I imprisoned Robert the Bruce's wife&daughter in convent,he decreed that Isabella MacDuff would be confined in an outdoor cage.
"Let her[cage]be hung up out of doors in the open air at Berwick..[Isabella] may be a spectacle and eternal reproach to travellers"-Edward I
Isabella MacDuff was not among the noblewomen returned to Scotland after the Battle of Bannockburn in 1314-last mentioned in records in 1313
Here's a modern tableau at Edinburgh Castle depicting Isabella MacDuff crowning Robert the Bruce at Scone in 1306.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CHEUcTuXAAAzWDS.jpg
"Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too"      Voltaire

I can see humor in most things & I would rather laugh than cry.    Snokitty

LouisFerdinand

When Isabella MacDuff was hung from the cage, she was given 4 pence a month for her needs and had two women to help her.