"Show Unread Posts since last visit"

Started by Jenee, August 14, 2010, 05:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jenee

Quote from: drezzle on August 14, 2010, 04:52:50 AM
It is quite bothersome how the posts in this section never show up under "Show unread posts since last visit".  Isn't there someway that could be fixed?  It is misleading  to have that as a search topic because it suggests that all unread posts are displayed from the search, but it's only from the first/main section.

Its an SMF issue - might be fixed when they release 2.0. Not sure when that will be :shrug:
"It does not do to dwell on dreams, and forget to live" -Dumbledore

Hale

Ursula

Is that the estimate that the people spent on flowers?  I'm not sure where the $10 million was spent otherwise? 

It is quite bothersome how the posts in this section never show up under "Show unread posts since last visit".  Isn't there someway that could be fixed?  It is misleading  to have that as a search topic because it suggests that all unread posts are displayed from the search, but it's only from the first/main section.

Drezzle, I have the same problem and at times it seems to include ALL the threads.  :( 

Jenee

^^ Original question

Jenee

I moved this to forum support because I wanted to continue the conversation.

The unread posts button has to do with the cookie placed on your computer by the forum when you visit. If you clear your cache, delete all your cookies, or if someone else visits the forum from your PC, you will experience "missing" posts.

Regarding the Princess Diana forum not showing up in the results - personally, I do not experience this problem. I just clicked the link for show unread posts since last visit, and a thread fro Princess Diana is in my results (see attachment).  I also checked the other link "show unread posts since your last visit" and there is a thread from Princess Diana on that list too, so the child-forums are being included in the search results.

[attachment deleted by admin]

sillyjobug

Is there any chance that some of these things are showing up in "Show new replies to your posts"? Perhaps threads you've posted in recently show up there instead of "Unread posts"?
Harryite #0094   

Ursula

SJB, that isn't my experience.  

For example, I may not be on the site at all for two days and when get back on and click on "unread posts since last visit", NOTHING comes up and under new replies it's literally just new replies.  It's definitely some sort of glitch.   :(    

Jenee

Really, nothing at all? That's very odd, I have never had that happen, although I don't click those links very often (I get too confused seeing the posts all out of context!! :laugh:)

sillyjobug

Very odd. I don't generally use that function either, but I just tried it and "Unread posts" came up blank on mine as well. Perhaps there's a glitch with the website actually recognizing that you've left the forum at all, if you have it set you stay logged in "forever" as I do? Other than that, I've know idea what it could possibly be. Must be a software error of some variety. In which case there's not much we can do to fix it, really, as we're not the ones who developed the software.
Harryite #0094   

Jenee

So weird. I'm going to check the SMF website to see if other owners are complaining of issues. It just worked fine for me (and I stay logged in "forever" too)

These are replies I've found on the SMF support site:

QuoteIt's not unusual to have the "Show unread post since last visit" show none and then the "Click here to try all..." show some.  If during a previous visit a member doesn't read all new post, then next time they visit the first link will only include unread post since the last visit.  That is the reason the other option is there.  That is quite normal.

QuoteYou can try replacing ./Sources/Recent.php and ./Themes/default/Recent.template.php and see if that helps.  The fact that it works sometimes as you expect it and at others it doesn't leads me to think that this is host related.  If you had to edit some of the code due to the load balancer, it's possible that is what is causing the problems.

Unfortunately you may have to find another host to fix the issue.

Considering I've heard complaints about this for many years, and we switch hosts rather frequently, I don't think it is a host issue.

Sandra Dee

I don't think it could depend on the browser and the way it stores cookies(it is highly improbable that cookies are stored differently in browsers). Even if you use 2 separate browsers from the same computer, the cookies will get updated. It depends on your user id. So even when someone else uses your computer, your account won't get affected.
I use Chrome, and I'm logged in forever. New replies to my posts also generally turn up in the Ăšnread posts since last visit' for me. Although, I haven't been regular recently. Is this a new problem or has this always existed?

sillyjobug

If I recall correctly, drezzle has had this problem for some time. I haven't heard complaint from anyone else about it, and I only just noticed it when I checked for myself.
Harryite #0094