The Stuarts (Scotland 1371)-(England/Great Britain 1603-1714)

Started by cinrit, December 28, 2011, 01:07:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LouisFerdinand

During the reign of the widowed King William III, the new St. Paul's Cathedral, redesigned by Sir Christopher Wren after the Great Fire of London in 1666, opened in 1697.     
Did King William III see the new cathedral interior?

Curryong

From the online history of St Paul?s.

The cathedral was completed on 20 October 1708, Wren's 76th birthday. On Thursday, 2 December 1697, thirty-two years and three months after a spark from Farryner's bakery had caused the Great Fire of London, St Paul's Cathedral came into use: it proved to be well worth the wait. The widower King William III had been scheduled to appear but, uncomfortable in crowds and public displays, had bowed out at the last minute. The crowd of both the great and the small was so big, and their attitude towards William so indifferent, that he was scarcely missed.

Of course he may have paid a private visit later.

I don?t know about King William but, much as I love the present Cathedral I really wish the old historic one could have been at least partially saved in the Great Fire. I regard the destruction of the old St Paul?s, hodgepodge though the structure was, as second only to the destruction, again by fire in the 1830s, of the old Houses of Parliament. They were an irreplaceable loss to Britain in historical terms.

LouisFerdinand

Robert III (c. 1337/1340-1406) was King of Scotland from 1390 to 1406. He was born with the name John Stewart. In May 1390 parliament granted John permission to change his regnal name to Robert.   

LouisFerdinand

Happy Birthday Mary, Queen of Scots   
December 8, 1542: Happy Birthday Mary, Queen of Scots | Tudor Minute - YouTube   

:flower: :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower:

Curryong

Quote from: LouisFerdinand on December 08, 2022, 08:53:24 PM
Happy Birthday Mary, Queen of Scots   
December 8, 1542: Happy Birthday Mary, Queen of Scots | Tudor Minute - YouTube   

:flower: :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower:

Happy birthday! To a woman who if she were alive today would be walking around with her head detached from her neck!

LouisFerdinand

On August 24, 1682 James, Duke of York gave Delaware to William Penn.   

:xmas14: :xmas14: :xmas14: :xmas14:

LouisFerdinand

During the reign of the House of Stuart a favorite of the Stuarts was the   
Christmas pie. The Christmas pie represented the manger of Jesus.   

:stars: :stars: :stars: :stars: :stars: :stars: :stars: :stars: :stars: :stars:

Curryong

An intriguing thought, what if Bonnie Prince Charlie and his army of Jacobites hadn?t turned back when near Derby in 1745 instead getting to London sweeping the Hanoverians from their throne and bringing back the Stuarts?

What if Bonnie Prince Charlie had WON with his army of Jacobites | Daily Mail Online

The historian they spoke to seems to feel that a new Golden Age would have developed, no Emperor Napoleon, no French or American Revolutions etc etc. Personally I?m extremely sceptical that a return of that ill-starred family would have done anything of the kind. Grievances of the common people in France wouldn?t have been stymied by an alliance with England, however strong. It was the French Revolution that brought First Consul Napoleon to power in the first place, nothing else. And a political alliance wouldn?t have prevented the French from pursuing their own ambitions in North America. And why would American colonists have welcomed the French interference in their affairs? The situation there may well have caused another sort of revolution, not prevented one.

And what about the religious question? The Stuarts were devoutly RC. Britain in 1745 was robustly Protestant. The Old Pretender may well have feigned that he was Protestant if he became King, but so did King James II, and he, rightly, was not believed. Quite frankly I think the return of that family would have been an unmitigated disaster for both Britain and for their dynasty, but thankfully it all remains in the ?what if? basket of history.

LouisFerdinand

LouisFerdinand

LouisFerdinand

The national debt King William III had built up was secured by William Paterson, a Scottish merchant.   
Paterson established the Bank of England in 1694 and the Bank of Scotland in 1695.

LouisFerdinand

LouisFerdinand

Mary of Modena planned to become a nun and join the Salesian order.   
Her father considered marrying her to James, Duke of York.   
The Revolutionary Mary Of Modena - YouTube

LouisFerdinand

King James I had overseen the persecution of witches in Scotland.   
In England he passed the Witchcraft Act of 1604.   
The Witchcraft Act remained on the statute book until 1736.       

:hall14: :hall14: :hall2: :hall2: :hall2: :hall2: :hall14: :hall14: :hall14: :hall14: :hall14: :hall14:

LouisFerdinand

In King David I's reign from 1124 to 1153, David established a central government   
administration in Scotland. He inrroduced royal coinage and imported   
an Anglo-Norman feudal system.

LouisFerdinand

If Arabella Stuart had succeeded Queen Elizabeth I, would the union   
of England and Scotland have taken place?   
This FORGOTTEN Tudor Woman Who Could Have Been Queen... - YouTube

Curryong

Quote from: LouisFerdinand on July 11, 2023, 10:52:36 PM
If Arabella Stuart had succeeded Queen Elizabeth I, would the union   
of England and Scotland have taken place?   
This FORGOTTEN Tudor Woman Who Could Have Been Queen... - YouTube

It would depend whom she married I would guess. As it was Arabella later married for love (presumably) but without permission of King James, who was furious.

I just think that Parliament felt that James was easier all round. He was already a King (even if he was a Scot!) he headed a Scottish army, and all those nuisance skirmishes over the border and anti English foreign alliances would hopefully cease. His claim to the English throne was strong, at least as strong as Arabella?s and he was married with three quite healthy children. Those who hated the thought of a Scot on the throne did look hopefully at Arabella but it just wasn?t enough.

LouisFerdinand

LouisFerdinand

LouisFerdinand

Princess Maria Clementiba Sobieska (1701-1735) was the wife of Prince James Francis Edward Stuart.   
Pin on Portraits