The Greek Royal Family news, current events and general discussion

Started by Jennifer, August 30, 2015, 11:25:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Curryong

The BRF sometimes don?t send senior representatives to the funeral of other royals (witness the absence of anyone British and royal at the very recent funeral of the Margrave of Baden, a close descendant of PP?s sister) imo Anne should have gone to that one. Nor gdoes it seem that Charles will be there at Constantine?s funeral, though he was close to him, and William was his godson.

It?s definitely one of the things that I dislike about the BRF, and it?s long been a bugbear of mine that the late Queen and Prince Charles never bothered turning up to other monarchs? birthdays, anniversaries, or indeed funerals. The fact that the Queen ONCE broke her holiday at Balmoral to attend King Badouin?s funeral after his unexpected death was a matter of note in newspapers at the time.

They?ve always kept themselves apart in that way since the war really, and that shows no signs of changing. It?s not a way for younger generations of British royals to get to know their contemporaries.

sara8150

Quote from: Curryong on January 13, 2023, 11:32:28 PM
The BRF sometimes don?t send senior representatives to the funeral of other royals (witness the absence of anyone British and royal at the very recent funeral of the Margrave of Baden, a close descendant of PP?s sister) imo Anne should have gone to that one. Nor gdoes it seem that Charles will be there at Constantine?s funeral, though he was close to him, and William was his godson.

It?s definitely one of the things that I dislike about the BRF, and it?s long been a bugbear of mine that the late Queen and Prince Charles never bothered turning up to other monarchs? birthdays, anniversaries, or indeed funerals. The fact that the Queen ONCE broke her holiday at Balmoral to attend King Badouin?s funeral after his unexpected death was a matter of note in newspapers at the time.

They?ve always kept themselves apart in that way since the war really, and that shows no signs of changing. It?s not a way for younger generations of British royals to get to know their contemporaries.

Gert?s Royals not mentions about BRF will attend ex-king Constantine?s funeral

I didn?t know late Queen Elizabeth broke her holidays for attend funeral to King Badouin?s funeral in 1993 30 years ago

Curryong

Quote from: sara8150 on January 14, 2023, 12:57:54 AM
Gert?s Royals not mentions about BRF will attend ex-king Constantine?s funeral

I didn?t know late Queen Elizabeth broke her holidays for attend funeral to King Badouin?s funeral in 1993 30 years ago

It was said by some at the time that it would have seemed extremely churlish if the Queen had kept to her usual habit, in other words she was advised of the bad PR, if she had stayed away while enjoying holidays, given that practically every royal house in Europe had sent representatives, including fellow monarchs.

TLLK

I've been checking some of the guest lists for  relatively recent European  royal funerals for reigning and non-reigning houses and here's what I have found. These are from 2003 forward.
Prince Claus-UK representative-Prince of Wales (Charles)
Princess Juliana-UK representative-Duke of Edinburgh.
Prince Bernhard-UK representative-Duke of Edinburgh
Prince Rainer-UK representative-Duke of York.
King Michael-UK representative-Prince of Wales (Charles)

Prince Henrik of Denmark did not wish for any foreign royals to be present. Prince Friso's funeral only had King Harald as he was the Godfather.

Curryong

Quote from: TLLK on January 14, 2023, 01:38:29 AM
I've been checking some of the guest lists for  relatively recent European  royal funerals for reigning and non-reigning houses and here's what I have found. These are from 2003 forward.
Prince Claus-UK representative-Prince of Wales (Charles)
Princess Juliana-UK representative-Duke of Edinburgh.
Prince Bernhard-UK representative-Duke of Edinburgh
Prince Rainer-UK representative-Duke of York.
King Michael-UK representative-Prince of Wales (Charles)

Prince Henrik of Denmark did not wish for any foreign royals to be present. Prince Friso's funeral only had King Harald as he was the Godfather.

I did mention other occasions (such as other royals birthdays) as well. Why wasn?t Prince George with the other heirs to European/Scandi thrones at that famous photoshoot for Prss I-A?s birthday? King Harald of Norway?s 80th birthday could have seen Charles and Camilla present but again no. Though Harald and Sonja have visited Sandringham and CH often.

The truth is that for decades whenever even informal Royal get-togethers are organised the very senior members of the BRF are almost always absent. ?Let?s send the Wessexes, they?ll do it,? has been the motto. And yes they were fine. However monarchs and heirs are more important in the scheme of things.

Unfortunately for the BRF their absences have been noted.  Did the late Queen ever attend any of Princess Beatrix?s birthdays or anniversaries when she was Queen? Queen Daisy has just celebrated her Jubilee. Have any members of the BRF been to Denmark (which isn?t exactly a million miles from Britain) to help her celebrate that? Not that I?ve read.

As for royal funerals, yes PP was utilised as he knew most of the royal families. What happens from now on? Send Camilla? And my point about funerals still stands. What happened at the Baden funeral was nasty. And has been commented on in royal forums and elsewhere. And if any senior members of the BRF are going to attend they?ve left it mighty late. If it is Anne that eventually turns up, then all well and good, though I feel that William should make an effort to attend his godfather?s funeral.

sara8150

Quote from: Curryong on January 14, 2023, 02:11:17 AM
I did mention other occasions (such as other royals birthdays) as well. Why wasn?t Prince George with the other heirs to European/Scandi thrones at that famous photoshoot for Prss I-A?s birthday? King Harald of Norway?s 80th birthday could have seen Charles and Camilla present but again no. Though Harald and Sonja have visited Sandringham and CH often.

The truth is that for decades whenever even informal Royal get-togethers are organised the very senior members of the BRF are almost always absent. ?Let?s send the Wessexes, they?ll do it,? has been the motto. And yes they were fine. However monarchs and heirs are more important in the scheme of things.

Unfortunately for the BRF their absences have been noted.  Did the late Queen ever attend any of Princess Beatrix?s birthdays or anniversaries when she was Queen? Queen Daisy has just celebrated her Jubilee. Have any members of the BRF been to Denmark (which isn?t exactly a million miles from Britain) to help her celebrate that? Not that I?ve read.

As for royal funerals, yes PP was utilised as he knew most of the royal families. What happens from now on? Send Camilla? And my point about funerals still stands. What happened at the Baden funeral was nasty. And has been commented on in royal forums and elsewhere. And if any senior members of the BRF are going to attend they?ve left it mighty late. If it is Anne that eventually turns up, then all well and good, though I feel that William should make an effort to attend his godfather?s funeral.

BRF didn?t attend Queen Marthage?s jubilee due death of Queen Elizabeth last September 2022

I don?t think Norway Royals household invited BRF for Princess Ingrid?s 18th birthday and included Prince George

Curryong

Quote from: sara8150 on January 14, 2023, 04:25:10 AM
BRF didn?t attend Queen Marthage?s jubilee due death of Queen Elizabeth last September 2022

I don?t think Norway Royals household invited BRF for Princess Ingrid?s 18th birthday and included Prince George

Daisy has had birthdays and other Jubilees and neither the Queen nor Prince Charles attended any of those. And 10 years old Princess Estelle, the daughter of Sweden?s Crown Prss Victoria was in I-A of Norway?s photoshoot. And so was the toddler son of Gui and Stephanie of Luxembourg. Gui is heir to Grand Duke Henri, so Charles, like George, is heir to the heir. And so is Estelle.

wannable

Princess Anne will represent the British Royals.

The rumor since last week was Anne, William and Kate, but the latter two security and media attention is a no no.

Confirmed by Richard Palmer

PrincessOfPeace

Curryong

Well Anne is a worthy representative of course, but it?s always odd that the BRF never bother to  send a contingent of four or five from the Royal House, as Europeans and Scandis often do, especially as Constantine had strong links to both Charles and William.

A hectic cleanup at the Tatoi cemetery to make it reasonable for the ceremony.

????? ???????? ??????????. ??? ??? ??????? ????????? ??? ???? ???? ???????? ??????? ????. - YouTube

TLLK

Quote from: wannable on January 14, 2023, 12:20:22 PM
Princess Anne will represent the British Royals.

The rumor since last week was Anne, William and Kate, but the latter two security and media attention is a no no.

Confirmed by Richard Palmer

Anne is an excellent choice. Like her siblings she is a descendant of the Greek Royal Family through her late father the DoE. Also she has the ties to the Olympics as did the late King Constantine who win Greece's first gold medal at the 1960 Games in Rome.

wannable

I wouldn't rule out the PPOW's, just not yet.  Greeks as I type (media) still think the couple (especially William) will be there, like a low key no announcement. I guess we have to wait and see, but I am also glad The Princess Royal is the official announced representation of the British Royals.

TLLK

Here's more information on TV coverage of the funeral as well as a photo with an interior view of the Cathedral where the funeral will take place on Monday. I've read that the Cathedral is not very large and seats only about 250 seated guests in total.

Andreas Megos on Instagram: "TELEVISION COVERAGE OF KING CONSTANTINE'S FUNERAL: Inside the Cathedral of Athens and in the chapel of St. Eleftherios

sara8150

Quote from: wannable on January 14, 2023, 01:17:50 PM
I wouldn't rule out the PPOW's, just not yet.  Greeks as I type (media) still think the couple (especially William) will be there, like a low key no announcement. I guess we have to wait and see, but I am also glad The Princess Royal is the official announced representation of the British Royals.

We have wait and see if BRF will send or NOT!! But have no confirmation from Buckingham or Kensington Palace members of the British royal family have scheduled busy but King Charles and Prince William will fly to Greece or NOT so they send someone Princess Anne or members of Royal family in their behalf of King Charles im sure Gert?s Royals have no confirmation of BRF will fly to Greece but Prince William is godfather of King Constantine

LouisFerdinand

Would it not be wonderful if Princess Anne could be accompanied by The Prince and Princess of Wales?

sara8150

Gert?s Royals Twitter says

QuoteI'm not at all surprised that William is not attending. William & Kate don't really attend big foreign royal events yet. And I think a big part of that is not wanting to pull focus from the event and allow the media attention to be on the person being honored, not William & Kate.

QuoteA lot of people were expecting Prince William to attend as King Constantine was his godfather.

I would like to point out that other Grandchildren like Prince Constantijn of the Netherlands are also not attending the funeral.
We have wait and see till confirmed from Buckingham Palace and Kensington Palace or NOT!!

QuoteThere had been varying reports, but it seems that Princess Anne will be one representing the UK Royals at King Constantine of Greece's Funeral on Monday.
But not mention about Prince William due his busy schedule

Buckingham Palace and Kensington Palace not mentioned about Prince William and Princess Catherine to Greece due schedule busy upcoming and no confirmation

Nightowl

I do not think it would be very wise of BP/KP or anyone else to publish or say whether William and Catherine are going anywhere these days. It is to darn risky for them and those traveling with them.    If William goes then do it under the cover of darkness when leaving or however royals travel somewhere that is best to be kept secret.

TLLK

Quote from: Curryong on January 14, 2023, 12:27:03 PM
Well Anne is a worthy representative of course, but it?s always odd that the BRF never bother to  send a contingent of four or five from the Royal House, as Europeans and Scandis often do, especially as Constantine had strong links to both Charles and William.

A hectic cleanup at the Tatoi cemetery to make it reasonable for the ceremony.

????? ???????? ??????????. ??? ??? ??????? ????????? ??? ???? ???? ???????? ??????? ????. - YouTube

I hadn't realized that the Greek Government had paid the Greek Royal Family for Tatoi and that they no longer own it and therefore it is not maintained. There have been proposals to revamp the property into a cultural center, but there doesn't appear to be the funding or the inclination to do anything at this point in time especially as the region is recovering from the wildfires and pandemic.

TATOI PALACE

QuoteIn 1994 a new regulation brought back the expropriation of 1973 and the whole estate became public again. After this regulation, the former owners have recoursed to the law and the case was closed in 2002 after a relevant decision of the European Court of Human Rights. By this decision, the former kings received 4,000,000,000 drachmas and Tatoi became Public Property permanently.

palace outbuildingThe Tatoi palace complex includes numerous outbuildings, such as personnel quarters, outposts, storehouses, mews, apiaries, stock farms etc., which are now derelict.

The long-lasting non-solving of the ownership issue of the Tatoi estate resulted to its neglect for years and consequently, to severe damage. The palace and several buildings can still be preserved and become excellent places for historical museums, environmental education centers, natural history museum, recreation grounds, etc. They are not far from Athens and the natural environment is ideal.

TLLK

It appears that the Spanish royals: Felipe, Letizia, JC, Sofia, Elena and her children have arrived.

Denmark's Margrethe and Benedikte are there too. Have not seen Frederik, Mary or Joachim yet.

Curryong

I did read about a couple of years ago that the Greek Govt intended to make the main house at Tatoi into some sort of culture centre. Even at that time I can remember thinking that the place had been allowed to tumble into such dilapidation that it would take an absolute fortune to fix.

I had also read years ago that while the King and his family were living in London that Constantine intended to use the international courts in Geneva to ask for proper restitution, that the Greeks had offered such a trifling amount for royal properties seized that he had refused outright to consider it. I suppose some kind of negotiated compromise was reached later as he never went to court over it as far as I know. However I did read that the compensation package was much smaller than he had wanted and the King and his supporters were disappointed.

TLLK

Update on royal guests: Sweden's CG and Silvia, Norway's Haakon and Mette -Marit, Serbia's Alexander and Katherine.  Reportedly Lady Gabriella Kingston will also be attending as KC was her Godfather. The Kent's had a GRF through Princess Marina.

TLLK

Quote from: Curryong on January 15, 2023, 09:36:46 PM
I did read about a couple of years ago that the Greek Govt intended to make the main house at Tatoi into some sort of culture centre. Even at that time I can remember thinking that the place had been allowed to tumble into such dilapidation that it would take an absolute fortune to fix.

I had also read years ago that while the King and his family were living in London that Constantine intended to use the international courts in Geneva to ask for proper restitution, that the Greeks had offered such a trifling amount for royal properties seized that he had refused outright to consider it. I suppose some kind of negotiated compromise was reached later as he never went to court over it as far as I know. However I did read that the compensation package was much smaller than he had wanted and the King and his supporters were disappointed.

Yes. I have read similar articles about the Tatoi dispute.

wannable

The Princess Royal, accompanied by Vice Admiral Sir Tim Laurence, will represent the British royal family at the funeral of King Constantine in Athens on Monday.

Anne was among the bridesmaids at his wedding to Princess Anne-Marie of Denmark in the Greek capital in 1964.
Joe Little

sara8150

Gert?s Royals Twitter says

QuotePrince Joachim of Denmark & Princess Martha Louise of Norway are confirmed to attend King Constantine's Funeral tomorrow, joining other family members already confirmed to attend.

QuoteKing Charles of UK is not attending King Constantine?s funeral.

Princess Anne is reportedly representing the UK royal family.