The Late QEII and the late DoE birthdays, anniversaries and personal milestones

Started by PrincessOfPeace, April 18, 2020, 11:33:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nightowl

YES, Harry BROKE the TRUST with his family totally yet some fans just do not get that it seems like to me.  Why suffer being someplace where you know your not wanted, people is it about time to let Harry make his own life in CA as long as he does not start his rampage against the royal family.  Time he acts like a decent man with all that he has it would really be devastating if he lost it all because of his revenge against his dad and brother.

sara8150

Quote from: Nightowl on August 09, 2023, 04:04:14 AM
YES, Harry BROKE the TRUST with his family totally yet some fans just do not get that it seems like to me.  Why suffer being someplace where you know your not wanted, people is it about time to let Harry make his own life in CA as long as he does not start his rampage against the royal family.  Time he acts like a decent man with all that he has it would really be devastating if he lost it all because of his revenge against his dad and brother.

Yes Harry lost everything all it!!

wannable

RegalFille
@RegalFille

On September 08, The #Prince and #PrincessofWales will visit St. David's Cathedral in South Wales to mark the first death anniversary of #QueenElizabeth II

The King has Graciously requested that the Prince & Princess of Wales visit Wales at St. David's Cathedral to lead Tributes to our late great Queen Elizabeth II

wannable

The Queen had a unique connection with St David's Cathedral.

Since the early 1500s, one of the Quire Stalls has been in the possession of the Crown - named the Sovereign's Stall. And as Sovereign, the late Queen held the First Canon Cursal Stall in the Quire among the Cathedral Chapter, and she took her place there on some of her four visits to the Cathedral.

She was also the first monarch to visit the Cathedral since the Reformation.

Curryong

It?s good that a memorial service will be held to mark the late Queen?s passing. However, I?m genuinely puzzled as to why St David?s Cathedral in Wales should be chosen for this event.

The Queen of course was never Princess of Wales though that title was briefly considered for her in her late teens and rejected.

The Queen and PP didn?t visit Wales to any great extent any more than other parts of GB other than Scotland, and certainly didn?t for rest and relaxation purposes. Indeed if that was any criteria, then Scotland would win hands down. And if the late Queen had any special links with St David?s other than visiting it four times in 70 years, then I don?t know of them.

If it perhaps to push the Pr and Prss of Wales?s link to Wales (and they haven?t really got one) then it?s rather odd that this occasion should be chosen to do so.

wannable

The last two yougov polls about the POW's/Wales is favorable, the first was conducted in September 2022 requested by the University of Cardiff, the second by several media outlets. Both requests were done by Yougov.  70% want the POW's to be POW, title, but with no investiture. Catherine out of all the royals is the most popular.

ETA: The methodology was done only for citizens of Wales in both surveys.

Curryong

Quote from: wannable on August 24, 2023, 01:21:48 PM
The last two yougov polls about the POW's/Wales is favorable, the first was conducted in September 2022 requested by the University of Cardiff, the second by several media outlets. Both requests were done by Yougov.  70% want the POW's to be POW, title, but with no investiture. Catherine out of all the royals is the most popular.

ETA: The methodology was done only for citizens of Wales in both surveys.

Yes, but my last post was about my puzzlement that a visit on the day of the anniversary of the Queen?s death should be held in a cathedral she rarely visited in a principality Elizabeth had no real links with, not whether William and Kate are popular or not. It wasn?t even that her father George VI had once been POW so there was that link. I?m sure Elizabeth thought well of Wales, but her heart imo was in Scotland where she had many good and relaxing times and happy memories.

Anyway, I?ve got the answer to why this visit will include St David?s. Kate and William have some outings/engagements in the Principality and therefore the Cathedral has been tagged on to those, or the other way round. I suspect the duties had been pencilled in and the Cathedral was an afterthought.

Charles on the other hand is in the land both he and his mother felt at home in on an estate they love(d). In September and in future years he and some of the late Queen?s family will be at Balmoral. I doubt Wales will be in the picture next year.

TLLK

Quote from: wannable on August 23, 2023, 11:55:47 PM
RegalFille
@RegalFille

On September 08, The #Prince and #PrincessofWales will visit St. David's Cathedral in South Wales to mark the first death anniversary of #QueenElizabeth II

The King has Graciously requested that the Prince & Princess of Wales visit Wales at St. David's Cathedral to lead Tributes to our late great Queen Elizabeth II

I'm glad that the Wales will be present at this service for HLM QEII. I wonder if there are plans for the Edinburghs, the Princess Royal/V-A Timothy Laurence, Gloucesters and the Duke of Kent/Princess Alexandra of Kent to be at different services that day? We already know that the King and Queen will be observing the day quietly.

wannable

During HMQEII lifetime, she made more than 300 visits to Wales.

The POW's will be visiting Wales to all corners and many times over.

History of Wales Cathedrals

There are only 6 medieval cathedrals in Wales, and of the 6, one occupies an undisputable pre-eminent status; St. David's, with its links to David, patron saint of Wales, is the Welsh "Westminster Abbey"

Curryong

Quote from: wannable on August 24, 2023, 02:37:24 PM
During HMQEII lifetime, she made more than 300 visits to Wales.

The POW's will be visiting Wales to all corners and many times over.

History of Wales Cathedrals

There are only 6 medieval cathedrals in Wales, and of the 6, one occupies an undisputable pre-eminent status; St. David's, with its links to David, patron saint of Wales, is the Welsh "Westminster Abbey"

The late Queen lived to be 97, so it?s hardly surprising that she paid some visits over the border. I didn?t say that the Queen never visited Wales. I wrote that she did not have strong links to it as she did to Scotland. She didn?t have a house there for instance. Nowhere she spent loads of time. And in fact, now Charles has got rid of his modest home there the RF have no homes in the Principality that they spend time in.

And I know about St David?s history. I?ve visited the cathedral actually and it?s charming, though hardly a WA. Have William and Kate ever visited? After all, William was a son of the POW until he was nearly 40.

wannable

Wales is part of the United Kingdom, of course the Queen visited it 300+ times.

The POW's Duchy of Cornwall has Restormel, it's for let all year round because the new incumbent, William has decided that every time he/they go - to help the economy - he/team will stay at hotels all over the country up and down Wales, which was taken by their citizens very happily, all 100% from hotel to food and beverage, forget the supermarket, forget the cook, forget staying at Restormel.  The couple are and will be visiting Wales a lot of times to earn the trust of it's citizens. Source: Prince William

Other sources, Historians:  Prince William will not visit any of the realms until the King does for the first time as King (include here the possibility of W going this past days to AU, the historians - all of them - said no, impossible and explained away), the non realms but commonwealth are being prepared - there is a 5 to 10 year plan, 74 years old to 84 years old.  All international visits will be by order of importance tied to HM Foreign and Trade offices.

Curryong

Do you seriously think I don?t know that Wales is part of the UK? Even though I visited there as a child, teen and as an adult? !!!! Lol !!! Lol, !!!  Or that the FO arranges trips overseas for the RF? Er Hallo! It?s been that way since about 1945!

And people can visit a country and stay in hotels hundreds and indeed thousands of times in their lifetime, and still not be part of it in their hearts. Wales is part of the family business, not a place the royals all gravitate to of their own accord. Does William speak Welsh? Does Kate? And Charles regards the Welsh language of such importance that he?s forgotten what he knew of it in University, and now only remembers a sentence or two (of greeting.) That?s how important he regards it, and the Gaelic of Scotland as well!

As for Charles and or the Waleses visiting the realms it doesn?t really matter whether they do or don?t, or how many five or ten year plans the King and his advisers formulate. This is the 21st century. Those realms that are large enough to break away will do so by the will of their leaders, politicians and citizens, not because of what the royal family wish and don?t wish, want and don?t want to happen.

Those realms that are not specks on the map are all independent countries. They will decide their own destiny. Not Charles, not William, not the British FO, not the British Dept of Trade, not the Commonwealth Secretariat. And the temper of all these realms is towards having their own HOS not towards clinging to the monarchy for ten, twenty, forty, fifty, the next hundred years. And whether William wants to visit then before his father or after him or not at all, won?t matter a scrap then.

As for the importance of the Commonwealth to Charles it?s notable that his first overseas visit will be to France (and a State visit at that) not to any of the Realms that are supposed to be at the centre of his thoughts for the future.

wannable

I like investigating, I like explaining when I see a possible let down, I like to make my own mind - hence some of my comments are facts tied to IMO and POV's.

Curryong

Quote from: wannable on August 24, 2023, 10:36:00 PM
I like investigating, I like explaining when I see a possible let down, I like to make my own mind - hence some of my comments are facts tied to IMO and POV's.

Well, I guess that you will continue to believe that Wales is of the utmost and vital importance to Charles and William and the late Queen then, and has always been first in their thoughts. Even though none of them can speak colloquially in that country?s language. And I?ll make up my own mind on it. And I post enough links full of facts (historical and otherwise) on this forum and always have. As well as having lived in and visited many of the countries of which I post.

TLLK

TLLK

A comment was removed by a moderator because it didn't abide by our community standards:

wannable

More history about St. David's Cathedral and the connection to HMQEII

St David's Cathedral, unlike others, has the sovereign as a member of its Cathedral Chapter, or governing body. This also means that since the Reformation, they have had a personal stall in the Quire of the building - and the late Queen took her place in her special seat on her several visits to the church.

In fact, one of her most memorable visits to St David's Cathedral came at Easter in 1982, when she visited to distribute the annual Maundy Money - marking the first time that the monarch had travelled outside of England to carry out the service. She also made a special trip to St David's in 1995, when she conferred city status - and to this day it is still Britain's smallest city. Elizabeth II was also the first monarch to visit the cathedral since the Reformation.

TLLK

There's been a Christian place of worship since the mid 900's on the site, so it's one of the oldest churches in that region. I'm looking forward to this visit and the memorial service. So much has happened since September 8, 2022 that it's hard to believe that it's been nearly a year since her passing.

Nightowl

Thanks for all the information on this church, from the outside it seems so beautiful with lots of history behind it. I am looking forward to the Wales visit with some pictures of the inside hopefully.  It just isn't how many times the royals visit the church as Wales and England have a strong bond that seems to go on forever. They are both connected by time and history.

Curryong

Quote from: Nightowl on August 26, 2023, 10:04:44 PM
Thanks for all the information on this church, from the outside it seems so beautiful with lots of history behind it. I am looking forward to the Wales visit with some pictures of the inside hopefully.  It just isn't how many times the royals visit the church as Wales and England have a strong bond that seems to go on forever. They are both connected by time and history.

The conquest of Wales by the Normans and by an English King.

The Conquest of Wales by Edward I

wannable

^ That's a great video.

@Nightowl The POW's will also be touring the Cathedral (confirmed, it is there first time there), not sure if the entire visit will be live, but surely their social media head will be making a youtube video.

Nightowl

Thanks, I also have a number of books on the history of Wales and England that I have enjoyed. Wales seems to me to be a very fascinating country with a rich heritage. I am really looking forward to this visit by William and Catherine. 

Just my opinion yet this so called whatever slimmed down monarchy is a bad idea, to be seen and heard there needs to be more royals out promoting the country and it's people.

Nightowl

Quote from: LouisFerdinand on August 26, 2023, 10:31:07 PM
Guided Tour of St. David's Cathedral   
Guided Tour of St. Davids Cathedral - YouTube

Thanks for the video LouisF, I really appreciate you finding it for us, I love that high altar cloth as I wonder  who made it as it reminds me of QM of Denmark did one for a church she goes to, she is a fabulous embroider of needlework.  I love ole churches and when traveling often found some to visit. Venice Italy has some really old worn churches.