The 1995 Panorama Interview and the Investigation into the BBC

Started by Mike, August 31, 2018, 02:07:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TLLK

Princess Diana believed 75% of the profits of her interview with Martin Bashir would be donated  | Daily Mail Online

QuotePrincess Diana believed that 75 per cent of the profits from her Panorama interview with Martin Bashir should go to charity, The Mail on Sunday has learned.

It comes as pressure mounted on the BBC last night to confirm the timing and details of when the profits from the 1995 interview would be donated to a charity chosen by the Royal Family.

The issue of a donation was first raised by Diana and it is understood that negotiations were ongoing just before the interview was shown.

Diana had hoped for a similar agreement to that struck between Prince Charles and ITV the previous year. But, in Diana?s case, the BBC refused to honour her wish.

Yes it's the DM but if this turns out to be true, then IMO it's further proof of the BBC's despicable behavior towards Diana.

PrincessOfPeace

Scotland Yard will not be launching a criminal investigation into BBC journalist Martin Bashir's Panorama interview with Diana, Princess of Wales.

https://twitter.com/GBNEWS/status/1438159340825939970?s=20

PrincessOfPeace

BBC pays compensation to former private secretary of Diana, Princess of Wales, for "harm caused to him" over Martin Bashir's Panorama interview.

BBC pays Princess Diana's private secretary Patrick Jephson 'substantial' damages | Daily Mail Online

TLLK

Glad too see that the level of deception that was calculated and used to obtain this interview continues to be acknowledged.  Even happier to see that Patrick Jephson has donated the amount received to a Welsh children's hospice in Diana's memory.

sara8150

Former secretary for late Diana,Princess of Wales did sold the book called shadow of Princess but Duke of Cambridge told press in 2001 about that and nobody write about his mom?s private personal life..

The brothers William and Harry have rightful reasons to protect their mom?s legacy and memories without permission or consent on his mom?s infamous 1995 interview

https://youtu.be/OlZQK3ogj9k
See Duke of Cambridge?s interview 2000

Curryong

I really don?t see why Jephson would receive ?enormous damages? because of the Bashir interview. Diana didn?t inform him of the proposal by Bashir that she give her side of the story, and so potentially muddied the waters between himself and the Palace old guard. However, apart from the humiliation, Jephson didn?t really suffer any lasting damage. He had decided to resign following the Tiggy incident, which seems to have shocked him deeply, (I have a copy of Shadows of a Princess on my kindle.)

This just speeded up the process, though he did go with her on her trip to Argentina. So did her Press Secretary who also resigned. Jephson seems in fact to have immediately decided to cover his own butt regarding the interview pretty well as soon as he knew that the interview was going ahead, understandable in a man who knew that the Palace held all the aces. For instance he rang the Queen?s PS and explained his position as soon as possible.

wannable

Martin Bashir invented a litany of lies about the ex-Naval officer that Diana no longer trusted her right-hand man and came to doubt his loyalty.

The BBC did the right thing by granting him payment damages for GBP 100K.

Curryong

Of course Bashir?s poisonous barbs didn?t help. Personally though, I think she doubted her PS?s loyalty when he made it clear that in his opinion the Tiggy remarks were uncalled for. However the BBC is entitled to grant Jephson a sum for his ?pain and suffering?. A sum which almost certainly comes from the British taxpayer, let?s not forget.

TLLK

Quote from: Curryong on March 18, 2022, 02:19:31 AM
Of course Bashir?s poisonous barbs didn?t help. Personally though, I think she doubted her PS?s loyalty when he made it clear that in his opinion the Tiggy remarks were uncalled for. However the BBC is entitled to grant Jephson a sum for his ?pain and suffering?. A sum which almost certainly comes from the British taxpayer, let?s not forget.

Regarding the remarks that Diana made to Tiggy  in a public setting regarding the alleged abortion were definitely uncalled for and did land Diana in legal hot water with the Legge-Bourke family. I believe that knowing Diana had left herself open to being sued  is why Jephson made his opinion known to his employer.   However  I'm pleased to see that the entire sum of his payout from the BBC was given to the Welsh children's hospice. Diana's association with the Ty Hafan Children's Hospice ended with her death but Charles has taken it on now.

Here's more information about Ty Hafan Children's Hospice. Find out about T? Hafan and our hospice

TLLK

So as far as I know Tiggy and Patrick have received their compensation for the lies told about them when the BBC was angling for the Panorama Interview. Reportedly Diana was told that her brother-in-law Edward had AIDS which was untrue. Does anyone know if he's going to receive compensation as well?

Amabel2

Quote from: TLLK on March 18, 2022, 02:00:53 PM
Regarding the remarks that Diana made to Tiggy  in a public setting regarding the alleged abortion were definitely uncalled for and did land Diana in legal hot water with the Legge-Bourke family. I believe that knowing Diana had left herself open to being sued  is why Jephson made his opinion known to his employer.   However  I'm pleased to see that the entire sum of his payout from the BBC was given to the Welsh children's hospice. Diana's association with the Ty Hafan Children's Hospice ended with her death but Charles has taken it on now.

Here's more information about Ty Hafan Children's Hospice. Find out about T? Hafan and our hospice
I dont like Jephson but I think that he was increasingly wary of Diana, who was leaving messages on his phone and acting very oddly.. so I think that it was understandable that he would part company with her and tell her that she was going to get herself in hot water, with things like the remarks to Tiggy and the Panorama interview.
William has said that at that time, Diana was paranoid already, and becoming more so thanks to Bashir's disgraceful behaviour.

Amabel2

Quote from: TLLK on March 18, 2022, 08:34:56 PM
So as far as I know Tiggy and Patrick have received their compensation for the lies told about them when the BBC was angling for the Panorama Interview. Reportedly Diana was told that her brother-in-law Edward had AIDS which was untrue. Does anyone know if he's going to receive compensation as well?
I imagine that he's not likely to put any kind of claim forward.  He would of course donate any award he got to charity, but he and hte rest of the RF probalby feel they have enough problems and scandals in the presnet nad dont want to revisit old ones

sara8150

Duke of Cambridge?s 2000 interview

Duke of Cambridge?s 2021 interview about his mother the Diana,Princess of Wales

TLLK

How Princess Diana?s Dance With the Media Impacted William and Harry | Vanity Fair

QuoteTina Brown examines the legacy of the Princess of Wales?s press strategy for her sons, in this exclusive excerpt from The Palace Papers.

wannable

BBC to pay ?substantial? damages to William and Harry?s former nanny
Alexandra Pettifer, previously known as Tiggy Legge-Bourke, appeared at the High Court in London for a public apology from the broadcaster.

BBC to pay ?substantial? damages to William and Harry?s former nanny | Evening Standard

The BBC apology to Tiggy Legge-Bourke in full
'Following publication of the Dyson Report last year we have been working with those who suffered as a result of the deceitful tactics used by the BBC in pursuit of its interview with Diana, Princess of Wales for the Panorama programme in 1995, including the matters that were mentioned in court today in respect of Miss Tiggy Legge-Bourke, now Mrs Alexandra Pettifer.

'The BBC has agreed to pay substantial damages to Mrs Pettifer and I would like to take this opportunity to apologise publicly to her, to the Prince of Wales, and to the Dukes of Cambridge and Sussex, for the way in which Princess Diana was deceived and the subsequent impact on all their lives.

'It is a matter of great regret that the BBC did not get to the facts in the immediate aftermath of the programme when there were warning signs that the interview might have been obtained improperly. Instead, as the Duke of Cambridge himself put it, the BBC failed to ask the tough questions.

'Had we done our job properly Princess Diana would have known the truth during her lifetime. We let her, the royal family and our audiences down.

'Now we know about the shocking way that the interview was obtained I have decided that the BBC will never show the programme again; nor will we licence it in whole or part to other broadcasters.

'It does of course remain part of the historical record and there may be occasions in the future when it will be justified for the BBC to use short extracts for journalistic purposes, but these will be few and far between and will need to be agreed at executive committee level and set in the full context of what we now know about the way the interview was obtained. I would urge others to exercise similar restraint.'

TLLK

Quote from: wannable on July 21, 2022, 01:13:31 PM
BBC to pay ?substantial? damages to William and Harry?s former nanny
Alexandra Pettifer, previously known as Tiggy Legge-Bourke, appeared at the High Court in London for a public apology from the broadcaster.

BBC to pay ?substantial? damages to William and Harry?s former nanny | Evening Standard

The BBC apology to Tiggy Legge-Bourke in full
'Following publication of the Dyson Report last year we have been working with those who suffered as a result of the deceitful tactics used by the BBC in pursuit of its interview with Diana, Princess of Wales for the Panorama programme in 1995, including the matters that were mentioned in court today in respect of Miss Tiggy Legge-Bourke, now Mrs Alexandra Pettifer.

'The BBC has agreed to pay substantial damages to Mrs Pettifer and I would like to take this opportunity to apologise publicly to her, to the Prince of Wales, and to the Dukes of Cambridge and Sussex, for the way in which Princess Diana was deceived and the subsequent impact on all their lives.

'It is a matter of great regret that the BBC did not get to the facts in the immediate aftermath of the programme when there were warning signs that the interview might have been obtained improperly. Instead, as the Duke of Cambridge himself put it, the BBC failed to ask the tough questions.

'Had we done our job properly Princess Diana would have known the truth during her lifetime. We let her, the royal family and our audiences down.

'Now we know about the shocking way that the interview was obtained I have decided that the BBC will never show the programme again; nor will we licence it in whole or part to other broadcasters.

'It does of course remain part of the historical record and there may be occasions in the future when it will be justified for the BBC to use short extracts for journalistic purposes, but these will be few and far between and will need to be agreed at executive committee level and set in the full context of what we now know about the way the interview was obtained. I would urge others to exercise similar restraint.'

I'm very pleased to see that Tiggy will be receiving a substantial payment from the BBC. She didn't deserve to be treated in this manner at all.

I recall that one of Prince William's requests in his statement regarding the Panorama interview that the program never be aired again. I can understand that there will be the occasional excerpt released but with an explanation as to how the interview was obtained.