Diana General Chat #2

Started by LouisFerdinand, July 31, 2017, 01:24:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Curryong

Yes, I think it was probably Diana's wedding ring, and for one reason or another she had just left it off that day.

LouisFerdinand

Amabel2

Why would anyone think that? 

LouisFerdinand

For centuries royal brides had much longer hair that a lot of the hair was arranged in a style that was worn above and in the back of the lady's head.

TLLK

As I recall the problem was her bangs that were flattened by the tiara, but pulling them back wasn't likely to work either as they were too short.

Curryong

Diana wasn't the first Royal bride with short hair. The QM had long hair but you wouldn't have known it and the Duchesses of Kent and Gloucester did have short locks. Somehow though, that sleek, very permed close-to-the-head look suited the tiaras and veils the last two wore. I've never been fond of that shower cap look that was in when the QM married though.

Diana never liked long hair after her childhood and her hair was very thick and bouncy. That was the trouble I think. Had her hair been thinner they might have been able to do something with the top and sides.

Her youth and beauty saved the hairstyle and the very 1980s dress IMO. Everyone had grown used to the bangs (fringe) and it was just considered adorable even if not suited to tiara wearing!

wannable

The dress is horrendous  :happycry: I'd have kept the secret that he did it.  :teehee:

TLLK

Letters from Diana sell for over ?67,900 at auction ? Royal Central

QuoteBefore the auction, a representative from David Lay?s said of Diana?s letters, ?She does come across as an extremely warm, witty, funny, charming and generous-hearted person and I think that is the main motivation for them being sold.?

All the proceeds from the three-day sale will be split between the English National Ballet, Opera Rara, The Young Musicians Symphony Orchestra and the Benesh International Endowment Fund, organisations that meant much to Diana and Bramble.

The English National Ballet released a statement through the auction website saying that the organisation was ?proud to have Diana, Princess of Wales, as our patron from 1989-1997. Diana had a real love of dance, as was evident in her active relationship and support of the company throughout her patronage.?

LouisFerdinand

It is good that the raised money is going to good causes. However, one wonders: Are there certain things of the Princess that cannot be sold?

TLLK

@LouisFerdinand - I would have the same question perhaps her heirs (William and Harry) might raise some objections but if Diana gave the items as a gift they might not have much say in the matter.

LouisFerdinand

@TLLK, You are correct. If Princess Diana declared an item was to be a gift, then so be it: The item is a gift.

wannable

That's cool.

Double post auto-merged: April 02, 2021, 03:14:30 PM

sara8150

TLLK

@sara8150-I just merged the threads and I'll remove mine.

PrincessOfPeace

Princess Dianas wedding dress to go on show at Kensington Palace for the first time in 25 years after Prince William and Prince Harry agree to lend their mother's gown to exhibition.

Princess Diana's wedding dress to go on show at Kensington Palace

TLLK

This is wonderful news for two reasons. 1. There will be an indoor exhibition open to the public at a Historic Royal Palace which after a year plus of these sites being closed is so exciting. The items will on display in the newly restored Orangery.  :happy20:  2. That Diana's wedding dress will be displayed for the first time in 25 years and will be among the other items out for display.

Details from Historic Royal Palaces website. (Scroll down to see a short video with close ups of the wedding dress.)

Royal Style in the Making | Kensington Palace | Historic Royal Palaces

Royal bridal history

See the wedding dress of Diana, Princess of Wales up close, complete with its spectacular sequin encrusted train, which at 25 feet dramatically filled the aisle of St Paul?s Cathedral, and remains the longest in royal history.

The dress, on loan from HRH The Duke of Cambridge and HRH Duke of Sussex, is now among the most famous in bridal history, and features a fitted bodice overlaid at the centre both front and back with panels of antique Carrickmacross lace that had originally belonged to Queen Mary, the groom?s great-grandmother.

Its gently scooped neckline and large puffed sleeves are trimmed with bows and deep ruffles of taffeta, a style popularized by the Princess in the early 1980s, while the full skirt is supported on a mountain of stiff net petticoats to create its famous silhouette.​

Macrobug67

I can?t wait to travel again!!!  My trip to England has been delayed so many times.  THIS I want to see.

TLLK

Hmmm we need the opinion of an expert dressmaker, costumer, seamstress on this thread.

Macrobug67

Hmmmmm  :Lothwen:..and I know just the lady.......

(TLLK and I are trying to talk an old poster into coming back  :teehee:   Someone very, very talented at sewing)

TLLK

IMHO the royal wedding dress that has the closest resemblance to Grace Kelly's was Marie Chantal Miller's gown for her 1996 wedding to Greece's CP Pavlos. It featured these details that I found to be very similar to Grace's : Ballgown skirt, high neckline, long sleeves and over course, lace.

Getting back to Diana's dress. I do agree that the dress needed to be a statement piece inside the cavernous St. Paul's cathedral. The train length was spectacular and I don't believe that anyone has attempted to repeat it, primarily because it would be difficult to maneuver in. No way would a gown and train like Diana's have worked for an Orthodox religious ceremony with three ceremonial walks around the altar.

If you click on the link for the Historic Palace website, there is a marvelous video which highlights details of the lace on the bodice and the hemline which is easily overwhelmed by other aspects of the dress ie: sleeves and the skirt.

@Macrobug would love to read that poster's views on Diana's dress.

LouisFerdinand

Royal Style in The Making will open June 3. June 3 is my birthday!  :bday: :bday: :bday: