UK-Historic and contemporary royal palaces, residences, estates, castles

Started by Blue Clover, January 27, 2019, 02:25:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Princess Cassandra

Yes, I forgot about all the apartments which are temporarily at St. James.  And St. James is another important, historical palace. One wonders about the costs of keeping it up, but it is still utilized in some ways. 

Double post auto-merged: July 16, 2020, 01:01:56 PM

Quote from: sara8150 on July 01, 2020, 04:52:32 PM
Update news

The Queen's annual trip to Balmoral IS going ahead despite earlier fears it may be cancelled | Daily Mail Online
Wonderful!  Will give the Windsor staff a return to normalcy but so important for the Queen and the DofE to be at Balmoral for the later summer and fall. She loves it there and it so healthy.  Of course, the Duke may well be wanting to go back to Sandringham to check on his projects there first. 

TLLK

The Queen opens historic garden at Windsor Castle for the first time in forty years ? Royal Central

QuoteAs of the August 8th 2020 until September, weekend visitors to Windsor Castle will have the pleasure of enjoying the splendour of the East Terrace and Gardens which have been opened to the public for the first time since the 1970?s.

These beautiful gardens have had numerous purposes over the centuries and have been opened to the general public on occasion over the years.

LouisFerdinand

TLLK

LouisFerdinand

Quote from: TLLK on August 10, 2020, 01:26:07 PM
What a treat to see the garden. Thank you for sharing the video @LouisFerdinand.
@TLLK, I am glad that you liked the video.  :) :)

TLLK

The Byward Angel at the Tower of London | Beyond Palace Doors - YouTube

A look at the beautiful 14th century wall paintings in the Byward Tower at the entrance to the Tower of London.

LouisFerdinand

King Edward I gave Leeds Castle to his wife, Queen Eleanor as a present. Eleanor died in 1290.   
When the King remarried, he gave Leeds Castle to his second wife Margaret. This association led to Leeds Castle being nicknamed as the Ladies' Castle.

LouisFerdinand

When Prince Henry Frederick, the eldest son of King James I of England, was created Prince of Wales, St. James's Palace was set apart for his residence with a staff of 426 officials.

LouisFerdinand

PrincessOfPeace

Buckingham Palace will reopen to the public this summer, with visitors able to explore the gardens with self-guided tours for the first time and picnic on palace lawns. The State Rooms will also be open to the public for guided tours from May to September.

Buckingham Palace

TLLK

Excellent news and a little sign that things are slowly getting back to normal in the UK. Wearing a mask, limiting the number of guests/attendees and social distancing is the way forward for museums, zoos, gardens, and amusement parks.

Macrobug67

My very long awaited trip to England has been cancelled so many times.  Even though I wouldn?t be able to travel for at least another year, I really like seeing things open.

I hope they don?t have the surge we have had here in Ontario when things relaxed.  We are heading back into another stay at home order tomorrow. 

sara8150

Quote from: Macrobug67 on April 07, 2021, 04:45:29 PM
My very long awaited trip to England has been cancelled so many times.  Even though I wouldn?t be able to travel for at least another year, I really like seeing things open.

I hope they don?t have the surge we have had here in Ontario when things relaxed.  We are heading back into another stay at home order tomorrow. 

I know that

Princess Cassandra

Quote from: Macrobug67 on April 07, 2021, 04:45:29 PM

So sorry to hear it.  Hopefully vaccinating will help quell the surge in Ontario.  Here in New England there is a slight surge, but there is a huge boost in those who are fully vaccinated, and the kids are going back to school in three weeks. 

Macrobug67

We are so behind.  My over 80 parents and I have had our first shot but the government is stretching out the second to 16 weeks instead of 3.  I am worried about it.

We have maybe 5 % of the population with 1 shot and even less with both.  It is total shambles

I think Britain is doing better after the horrid time that they have had.  It is encouraging seeing things slowly open

LouisFerdinand

The Waterloo Chamber of Windsor Castle contains a carpet made for Queen Victoria in Agro, said to be the largest seamless carpet in Europe.     

:random39: :random39: :random39: :random39:

LouisFerdinand

Calidot Castle is in Monmouthshire, Wales. In 1373 the castle passed to Thomas of Woodstock, Duke of Gloucester. He added the three-storeyed Woodstock Tower. The castle passed to his daughter Anne, who married Edmund Earl of Stratford.

Macrobug67

Ha!  :blowkiss:  I was just reading about this castle last night!

TLLK

Queen set for no-fly zone over Windsor Castle

QuoteThames Valley Police has begun a consultation on a ?Restricted AirSpace Order? that extends within a 1.5 mile radius and up to 2,500ft above Windsor Castle. Aircraft breaching the restrictions would face prosecution, police warned.

The restrictions could also benefit the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, whose official UK residence, Frogmore Cottage, is less than half a mile away.

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle reportedly spent ?50,000 of their own money soundproofing the premises to block out aircraft noise.

Noise from aircraft taking off and landing at Heathrow airport, less than 8 miles from Windsor Castle, is said to have frustrated the Royal family in the past.

PrincessOfPeace

Macrobug67

It is an excellent idea just for safety alone.  911 showed the destruction a plane could do to a building.  Destroying Windsor Castle wouldn't be a devastating blow to government or economy but it would be to British psyche. 

Macrobug67

Curryong

I got seven out of ten. I miscalculated the number of bathrooms and the garden acreage.