Duchess of Cambridge set to resume Royal duties

Started by Limabeany, September 28, 2014, 12:23:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Limabeany

Quote from: sandy on October 06, 2014, 03:28:24 PM
Quote from: cinrit on October 06, 2014, 12:21:37 PM
Alternately, Kate could have read everything she could find about Fabregé eggs and either sounded off about them to the Queen like a know-it-all, or just kept mute and not encouraged discussion with the Queen.

Cindy

Why would she be a know it all if she took an interest in preparing for a royal appearance.
Apparently, showing she knows anything at all would be showing off to the Queen, she presents herself as though she knows nothing and we are supposed to assume she knows a lot and is only acting as if she knows nothing to not show off on front of the Queen, who, apparently, expects her to know nothing.
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

HistoryGirl

Quote from: TLLK on October 06, 2014, 03:42:41 PM
I'd say that she had prepared for the visit as she knew that Faberge eggs were still being produced by Carl's descendents. However I can see why she would be uncomfortable in contradicting HM. Perhaps Kate assumed that HM knew that new and original versions were being created?

I see some truth in this. Kate seems very calm and quite passive. She doesn't seem a strong enough character to contradict anyone much less the Queen.

Limabeany

She does seem quite passive. But, she didn't have to contradict the Queen, just ask something that would show she knew something, why ask if they are still being made if she had researched Faberge? If she had researched her engagement that day, she would know what she was viewing, the era it came from and what was being produced today under the same name, she would not have had to ask IF it was still produced. That question says she knew nothing at all.
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

TLLK

Quote from: HistoryGirl on October 06, 2014, 05:58:47 PM
I'd say that she had prepared for the visit as she knew that Faberge eggs were still being produced by Carl's descendents. However I can see why she would be uncomfortable in contradicting HM. Perhaps Kate assumed that HM knew that new and original versions were being created?

I see some truth in this. Kate seems very calm and quite passive. She doesn't seem a strong enough character to contradict anyone much less the Queen.
Well I believe that as the newest member of the BRF she might have felt uncomfortable doing this in front of a camera knowing that it was going to be shown on the news soon after. A few years of being a part of the BRF and spending more time with HM might give her the confidence to gently inform HM about the facts about the Faberge family's newest creations.

HistoryGirl

I can see how she can come off as dumb at times. But I think it mostly comes out of lack of confidence in situations with important people. She seems to have more confidence with children for obvious reasons. Maybe it'll get better as time goes on. That's why I was looking forward to seeing her more on her own so she could develop confidence in her public persona. She seems to like that William is more confident and seems to carry himself as such; some shy people rely on more dominant partners to make them feel more comfortable.

TLLK

^^^Good observations HistoryGirl. She does seem to lack confidence at times and I believe it was more apparent soon after the wedding.

Limabeany

Quote from: TLLK on October 06, 2014, 06:12:48 PM
Quote from: HistoryGirl on October 06, 2014, 05:58:47 PM

Well I believe that as the newest member of the BRF she might have felt uncomfortable doing this in front of a camera knowing that it was going to be shown on the news soon after. A few years of being a part of the BRF and spending more time with HM might give her the confidence to gently inform HM about the facts about the Faberge family's newest creations.
Lord, she didn't need to correct HM, HM was right the IMPERIAL collection is no longer being produced because there is no longer a Russian Empire. Kate would have known this and would have known that although the House of Faberge continues to produce items, they are not the IMPERIAL collection items that were under glass as viewed by Kate and HM, because everyone involved, including Mr. Faberge is dead. That does not take confidence to know just a willingness to use Google. She wouldn't have asked something as basic and blatantly uninformed as that if she had bothered to prepare beforehand, she could have asked or commented about the technique instead, not something she should have known as someone who knew she would be viewing those items.

Canuck

Quote from: Limabeany on October 06, 2014, 07:22:56 PM
Lord, she didn't need to correct HM, HM was right the IMPERIAL collection is no longer being produced because there is no longer a Russian Empire. Kate would have known this and would have known that although the House of Faberge continues to produce items, they are not the IMPERIAL collection items that were under glass as viewed by Kate and HM, because everyone involved, including Mr. Faberge is dead.

Well, exactly.  It is obvious, even without google research, that the person making items for the Russian imperial court is no longer making them, since that court doesn't exist anymore and anyone who had done that back then would be long dead.  So one can choose to believe that Kate is so profoundly stupid that she (a) didn't know the original Faberge made things for the Russian Royals or (b) thought that items made 100 years ago were still being produced by the same person.  Or one can believe, as did the people she was actually talking to, that she was instead asking whether the HOUSE of Faberge was still making these types of items -- which they are, per the aide's answer to her question. 

Of course, you're free to believe the former.  But even if you think she's kind of dumb, IMO it's quite a stretch for her to be quite so unbelievably stupid as the first interpretation of her question would require and yet still have done well at school and be able to do things like walk and talk at the same time.   :orchid:

Limabeany

Why would she ask something so obvious as to whether they were still made if she did know, then it was a nonsensical question to ask, so she was either uninformed or nonsensical, she could have asked, commented on so many things that would have given anyone a reason to believe she had done her homework instead of assuming that because she is not dumb she must have known something, there is no evidence she knew anything at all based on her question.

wannable

House

Maybe she'll feel better for Halloween event.

Limabeany

They haven't come up with any other event canceled because she is sick.

wannable

i read a unreliable article about a New York event around November.

So far she's still sick.

Canuck

She may have known that the House of Faberge was still making things, and wondered if they made the particular types of items in that case. 

I'm not trying to argue it was the pinnacle of all possible questions that reflected hundreds of hours of study and question-formation practice.  I'm just saying it's not a blindingly stupid question to which the answer is so obviously "no" that even asking it reveals she doesn't have any interest in art in general.  Since the aide with them in fact said "yes" to the question, that doesn't seem like a controversial proposition to me.   :shrug:

wannable

Q&A session filmed, a guide for dummies! 😉. I honestly believe there are lots of people who don't know the house of faberge exists and one can make an order.

Just ask Princess Anne! Dummy questions.

Limabeany

If he interpreted the general question as "does the House of Faberge still makes stuff" then he was right to say yes, but the Queen interpreted the question as "do they still make these precious historic items" and she was correct. I am saying the question wouldn't have been asked by someone who KNEW that those items were made during a specific period in history, for a specific family and also knew that items were still manufactured under the brand, why would she ask that question if she had known that? That makes no sense.

Limabeany

Quote from: wannable on October 06, 2014, 09:49:10 PM
i read a unreliable article about a New York event around November.

So far she's still sick.
I think so too, but I am surprised the Palace has stopped with the release of all sorts of events she was supposed to attend.

Canuck

Quote from: Limabeany on October 06, 2014, 09:54:00 PM
If he interpreted the general question as "does the House of Faberge still makes stuff" then he was right to say yes, but the Queen interpreted the question as "do they still make these precious historic items" and she was correct. I am saying the question wouldn't have been asked by someone who KNEW that those items were made during a specific period in history, for a specific family and also knew that items were still manufactured under the brand, why would she ask that question if she had known that? That makes no sense.

I don't see why it wouldn't make sense for someone who knows that the items in the Queen's collection were made a hundred years ago and also knows that the House of Faberge still exists and sells things to ask whether they currently make the types of items in the Queen's collection. 

You're quite right that both the aide and the Queen gave valid but different answers based on their interpretation.  That doesn't mean the question was stupid -- if anything, I would say the opposite (since if there was a single clear answer, then the question wouldn't have been as necessary).

But beyond that:  this is a whole lot of interpretation of a single four-word question.  We went down this tangent because someone said that Kate isn't knowledgeable about art because she thought the Faberge eggs were still being made.  Even if this wasn't the single best researched question ever asked, I don't think it demonstrates any such thing (since she wasn't talking about the eggs at all, and the aide actually said yes to her question).

wannable

I think the question was great, I bet many people got educated with the fact that the house of faberge exists.

I didn't know! At that time.

Canuck

Me too, wannable!  If the goal was education, then I'd say the question did its job.   :flower:

Limabeany

The question denotes she didn't know the specific items she was looking at were no longer produced and/or didn't know the history of Faberge. It makes no sense that she would know and ask that question.

KaTerina Montague

I miss the Russian Imperial family, that was true beauty and elegance that pretty much died with them all. I dont 5hink Kate is stupid maybe more in the realm of not intellectualy curious.

Curryong

The BRF have a large collection of Faberge objects of all kinds. The Queen Mother collected them and so did Queen Mary. Alexandra and her sister the Empress Marie would give each other Faberge items every Christmas and every birthday, and that went for the immediate family as well. Lucky, lucky people!

TLLK

Quote from: wannable on October 06, 2014, 10:06:40 PM
I think the question was great, I bet many people got educated with the fact that the house of faberge exists.

I didn't know! At that time.

I have to agree and I also did not know that the design house still existed and was producing new pieces.

Limabeany

:goodpost: Agree completely on all counts!

Quote from: KaTerina Montague on October 06, 2014, 11:00:36 PM
I miss the Russian Imperial family, that was true beauty and elegance that pretty much died with them all. I dont 5hink Kate is stupid maybe more in the realm of not intellectualy curious.

wannable

My point is, the thing is I've observed videos of royals followed with a mic, they DO dummy Q&A, kate isn't the first!

As I said why would Princess Anne ask a camper showcasing a Barbecue, "do you do barbecues, do you always do barbecues". Hello!  Perhaps she's in the right to ask, the barb looked glistening and perhaps a used look would have made it look more natural, hence the Q&A.  The guy didn't win the picnic contest, rather two ladies who had the simple natural look.

There is that possibility of Kates question, my line of thought with all due respect to posters and bloggers here and there, is what I previously said before, I didn't know, and the majority didn't know, the usual blasted, the usual defended, but until one poster linked the house of faberge site and a small article of its inauguration 2009, the aftermath posts were predictable.