The 1995 Panorama Interview and the Investigation into the BBC

Started by Mike, August 31, 2018, 02:07:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

Mark Twain:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it."
and
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please."

TLLK

Quote from: Mike on August 31, 2018, 02:07:56 PM
Princess Diana regretted shocking interview about royal love triangle, was 'reckless' at times with security, author claims | Fox News

Although Diana and Patrick ultimately could not see eye to eye, it was nice to read these compliments that he paid to her.

Quote?She was a professional to her fingertips,? he explained. ?She made everything look easy and she was wonderfully spontaneous, a very astute observer of people and very emotionally empathetic, yet at the flick of a switch, she could out-royal the royals. She had an amazing aristocratic, regal quality, which set her apart from other princesses.

amabel

Oh come, he was not at all nice about her when he wrote his first book, he's just waffling on now, trying to drag out his career as "Diana's aidie" for another 10 years

amabel

Quote from: sandy on September 11, 2018, 06:29:03 PM
Jephson was not kind to Charles in his book as well.
what has that got to do with Diana?  Jephson worked for Diana... he was not at all friendly to her in his book, and she was the one he was wrokign for so one would presume that he initially liked her...

sandy

It has everything to do with it. I read the book and I have a right to give my opinion.

I don't think he "disliked" Diana. He worked for her he was not a personal friend or enemy.

TLLK

Princess Diana's private secretary Patrick Jephson on how his resignation shook their friendship

The last time I spoke to Princess Diana was 21 years ago, and we were both having a pretty awful day. I was hand-delivering my letter of resignation as her private secretary, and she was adjusting to the news that her beleaguered support organisation was about to have a tedious vacancy at the top.

Not only was this highly inconvenient, it also broke a cardinal rule of royal employment: such vacancies should only occur with the prior approval of the royal employer. Instead, I had had the temerity to resign, without her consent, and she hadn?t even had the fun of firing me first.

No wonder I felt a death ray being aimed at me from the famous blue eyes. Even as I tried to meet it head on, I reflected on the stupidity (or was it arrogance?) of those who forgot the ice and steel programmed deep into the aristocratic DNA of Lady Diana Spencer.

Curryong

Is Patrick Jephson still banging on about Diana? I realise he has a new edition of his memoirs of his time as Diana's Private Secretary to promote, but he's becoming nearly as irritating as the revolting Burrell.

Yes, Diana had a core of steel within. Just like the former Elizabeth Bowes Lyon, another Earl's daughter. She was feeling beleaguered at that particular time and no doubt regarded his departure as a betrayal of sorts.

(Incidentally I think he was right to resign. Diana had kept the Panorama story from her Private Sec which was a betrayal of him by her. We know why, though. Because he would have had told her not to do something she was determined on.)

amabel

Quote from: sandy on September 12, 2018, 06:26:35 PM
It has everything to do with it. I read the book and I have a right to give my opinion.

I don't think he "disliked" Diana. He worked for her he was not a personal friend or enemy.
I think he certainly did dislike her.  He wrote a book that he should not have written, and was hihglty critical of her.. He knew perfectly well that it was a betrayal of their relationship as employer and employee to write about her..but he did ti because he wanted money and because he was peeved at the ending of the relationship.  Now he is less critical because he still wants to make money out of writing abouth her, and he knows it would look bad, if he continued to complain about her...

sandy

He made money off of her though. So he must have liked that about her.

So he betrayed her by writing the tell all.

dianab

his book was a 'hate letter' to his boss. NO DOUBT about that

sandy

I read the book and I would not use the word "hate." She did become his  meal ticket and the royalties coming in from the tell all probably made him happy

TLLK

Quote from: dianab on September 13, 2018, 04:04:07 PM
his book was a 'hate letter' to his boss. NO DOUBT about that
Sadly I have to agree. :eyes: :no:

amabel

Quote from: sandy on September 13, 2018, 03:10:32 PM
He made money off of her though. So he must have liked that about her.

So he betrayed her by writing the tell all.
how would that be liking her  if he just used her to make money.. which IMO he certainly did and alos to take a revenge on her for tehir difficult relationship.. where she went against him and did not tell him she was going to do the Bashir interview...

Double post auto-merged: September 13, 2018, 08:21:14 PM

Quote from: TLLK on September 13, 2018, 08:09:10 PM
Sadly I have to agree. :eyes: :no:
I'd say hate is a bit strong. I think he disliked her and was angry with her when he wrote his first book.  He was angry that she was keeping things from him, that she did n't trurst him and that she did something that he was against, like the Bashir interview and also of course there was the remark to Tiggy, which I gather was the final nail in the coiffin.  He knew he could not go on working with her and he was annoyed and had a spite against her..

dianab

many employees hate their bosses. to me, it was very obvious in his book that PJ was among those cases

amabel

Quote from: dianab on September 13, 2018, 08:44:01 PM
many employees hate their bosses. to me, it was very obvious in his book that PJ was among those cases
\
I'd hardly say hate.  I think he never thought that much of her - probably always thougth she was not that bright...but it was a good job, until Diana starting causing dramas and making the job dififuclt for him...

sandy

Jephson got money out of it and years of being paid to do interviews on documentaries and news shows.   He should think of Diana when he opens up those royalty checks. He did not do it out of spite, he did it because of the $$$$$.  This opportunist is given a free pass and Diana is slammed. Unreal. He's a shade below Burrell in opportunism IMO.

amabel

Quote from: sandy on September 13, 2018, 11:37:36 PM
Jephson got money out of it and years of being paid to do interviews on documentaries and news shows.   He should think of Diana when he opens up those royalty checks. He did not do it out of spite, he did it because of the $$$$$.  This opportunist is given a free pass and Diana is slammed. Unreal. He's a shade below Burrell in opportunism IMO.
huh?  How is diana beign  "slammed?"  Jephsons' tone about her in his first book was IMO contemptuous.  he was clearly angry about the way things had ended between them.. and from his way of talking about her, he came across as pretty critical. I think he thougth she was not very bright, but the job was a prestigious one and he was trying to manage her lworking life after her separation, to keep her iwthin the RF and doing royal work.. However he claimed that Diana didn't want to stick with projects so ti was hard to keep her working.  HE also had the expeirnece of her going behnd his back with the Panorama interview which was ebound to anger the queen and the RF and drive Diana right out of the Royal fold, while   he was tyring to keep her in it.  Then there was the Tiggy incident..a nd Diana leaving a message on his phone saying something like " the boss knows about your disloyalty"  Clealry he could not go on working for her.. they didn't trust each other and were on bad terms.  So when she died, he could have written a "nice" book bout her but instead he wrote quite a nasty one.. so clearly it wasn't just for the money...

Double post auto-merged: September 14, 2018, 08:34:53 AM

Quote from: TLLK on September 13, 2018, 04:24:08 AM
Princess Diana's private secretary Patrick Jephson on how his resignation shook their friendship

Ha, Friendship!!  I don't think so. I think that it is pretty obvious from that little quote that he did not like her much, and that while he appreciated she was tough (not sure if she really was) he left in a bad spirit, with both of them distrusting and disliking each other...

sandy

He liked her enough to make money from his association with her.

I read the Jephson book and he did express sympathy about Diana's marriage. He even revealed a damning story about how Charles showed contempt for Diana. He was having a briefing with the Waleses about a future trip (another person was with them) and Diana was asked what her plans were during a tour (and she did have plans re: her appearances) and before she could answer Charles sneered "shopping isn't it darling." Diana looked very upset and did not say anything. To me that does not show "contempt" he was confirming what Diana herself said about her relationship with Charles.

amabel

Quote from: sandy on September 14, 2018, 01:02:43 PM
He liked her enough to make money from his association with her.

I .
Sandy you really think tht making money from an association with someone is showing that you LIKE them???

sandy

Maybe he thinks "thank you" re: Diana when he opens another royalty payment.

amabel

Quote from: sandy on September 14, 2018, 01:19:43 PM
Maybe he thinks "thank you" re: Diana when he opens another royalty payment.
If he liked, even if he was decently loyal to her, he would not be writing books about her at all.  I dobut if he thinks "thank you Diana" except in a sarcastic sense....

sandy

Not always the case. Some can have loved someone and still write a tell all book. And made money.

I think without Diana Jephson would be a nobody that nobody would want to listen too. he's not better than Burrell.

He did help Diana by putting in a case of the nasty treatment Charles was giving her.

amabel

well well I never knew  that it was a proof of love to write  a "tell all" book....

TLLK

QuoteHa, Friendship!!  I don't think so. I think that it is pretty obvious from that little quote that he did not like her much, and that while he appreciated she was tough (not sure if she really was) he left in a bad spirit, with both of them distrusting and disliking each other...

IMHO the fallout from the Morton book/her denials about cooperation then later the Panorama interview  shook up Diana's staff and there was mistrust on both sides (Diana vs. staff) afterwards.

After her death and the decades that have followed, it appears that those who tendered their resignations seem to have had the opportunity to reflect upon those turbulent weeks/months/years and perhaps have softened their opinions a bit.

amabel

Quote from: TLLK on September 14, 2018, 04:13:43 PM
IMHO the fallout from the Morton book/her denials about cooperation then later the Panorama interview  shook up Diana's staff and there was mistrust on both sides (Diana vs. staff) afterwards.

After her death and the decades that have followed, it appears that those who tendered their resignations seem to have had the opportunity to reflect upon those turbulent weeks/months/years and perhaps have softened their opinions a bit.
Im cynical about those who abused their positions to write books. I think if they have now softened on their attitude towards Diana, it is because they still want to make money out of her..a nd they figure it would look odd if they were still complaining about her and hteir job losses etc from 20 years back, still.  So they've tweaked their stories a bit and said "Oh now I realise I quite liked her and she wasn't that difficult"....