The BRF during COVID 19 lockdown March 2020-2021

Started by wannable, March 19, 2020, 04:08:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandy

Quote from: QueenAlex on March 20, 2020, 11:11:00 PM
If they can't, who can?   

None of them should go running around doing PR. None. Is my answer. and they can all step up using modern technology.

TLLK

Quote from: Princess Cassandra on March 21, 2020, 12:48:40 AM
It's all unprecedented - totally new territory. There are some duties related to the running of government that cannot be avoided, but that's not the same as public engagements, which (AFAIK) have been cancelled or postponed. Many meetings can now be done through technology, and the POW and the D of Cambridge might (only they know for sure) be better able to undertake them than the Queen. From the RF history we know that everything will be done conscientiously and responsibly. In these uncertain times I'm pretty sure it will help keep up the public morale if they know that the Queen, the DofE and their heirs are not in danger.
Agreed @Princess Cassandra. Yes the monarch's duties will continue but perhaps through a different form ie Weekly PM meeting via telephone. For the BRF members who are healthy and under seventy, if an approved visit is deemed necessary then the five remaining members who fit into that category (PR, Cambridges and Wessexes) who undertake the engagement under the current NHS guidelines will do so.

Blue Clover

Windsor castle is probably the safest space for the Queen to self-isolate during this pandemic.

PrincessOfPeace

The Queen is preparing to make a televised address to calm the nation?s nerves during the difficult times ahead,  Downing Street sources said last night.

Queen 'waits for the right moment' to make a major coronavirus TV address | Daily Mail Online

TLLK

PM Johnson announces the three week quarantine act on March 23, 2020.

Boris Johnson's address to the nation in full | UK news | The Guardian

QuoteGood evening,

The coronavirus is the biggest threat this country has faced for decades ? and this country is not alone.

All over the world we are seeing the devastating impact of this invisible killer

And so tonight I want to update you on the latest steps we are taking to fight the disease and what you can do to help.

And I want to begin by reminding you why the UK has been taking the approach that we have.

Without a huge national effort to halt the growth of this virus, there will come a moment when no health service in the world could possibly cope; because there won?t be enough ventilators, enough intensive care beds, enough doctors and nurses.
Guardian Today: the headlines, the analysis, the debate - sent direct to you
Read more

And as we have seen elsewhere, in other countries that also have fantastic health care systems, that is the moment of real danger.

To put it simply, if too many people become seriously unwell at one time, the NHS will be unable to handle it ? meaning more people are likely to die, not just from coronavirus but from other illnesses as well.

So it?s vital to slow the spread of the disease.

Please click on the article to read the Prime Minister's address to the UK in full.

Blue Clover

I listened the PM Boris Johnson. This is going to be hard for Britain but it is a necessary measure. HMQ will stay at the palace for the duration.

Princess Cassandra

Quote from: Blue Clover on March 24, 2020, 12:09:19 AM
I listened the PM Boris Johnson. This is going to be hard for Britain but it is a necessary measure. HMQ will stay at the palace for the duration.
Right. We are told that the worst is yet to come. Very nervous here in New England in isolation.

TLLK

@PrincessOfPeace -Yes our American Surgeon General was very clear that  this was going to be a difficult week for the US. I expect more states to start issuing stay at home orders just like the on PM Johnson issued.

With the PM's announcement, I believe that for the time being we'll see the BRF making more addresses via public addresses (like William's for the National Emergency Trust) or short videos posted (like Sophie's regarding online resources for families) on their official social media accounts.
Of course the British Government will collaborate with the Queen to determine the time and will probably jointly prepare her address to the nation.  :Jen:

sandy

Everybody must heed the warnings. The royals should not go out on appearances and respect the wishes of the medical profession and "isolate" and use social media. Younger royals are not immune, more and more younger people are testing positive. It also seems to have effects later, with some millennials losing sense of taste and hearing.

TLLK

Yes @sandy using the official social media accounts is a wise decision as we were all able to see that the Duke of Cambridge and the Countess of Wessex did recently release public service announcements via social media. Now the BRF's official social media account is beginning to highlight some of the emergency services in the UK. :Jen: :thumbsup:

William- Kensington Palace on Instagram: ?Whenever and wherever adversity strikes, the people of the UK have a unique ability to pull together. The way that

Sophie- Twitter
The Royal Family on Instagram: ??For parents and carers, it can be a daunting time to help our children and young people through this period of

Today the BRF official social media account is highlighting the work of St. John's Ambulance

The Royal Family on Instagram: ?This week?s Charity Tuesday focus is on @stjohn_ambulance . The Queen is Patron of the organisation which provides

QuoteThis week?s Charity Tuesday focus is on @stjohn_ambulance . The Queen is Patron of the organisation which provides first aid services and training to communities across the UK.
St John Ambulance is supporting the UK?s response to Coronavirus by:
- Fast-tracking volunteers with existing first aid qualifications and clinical skills into the organisation. - Continuing to educate the public about First Aid skills to help alleviate the pressure on the NHS.
- Piloting the deployment of volunteers to hospital emergency departments.

wannable

The three households are in talks with their doctors and government daily.  My previous post is official; Queen/Philip are at WC with a skeleton staff of 8, C&C are at Birkhall since this past weekend, CH has been closed at least and confirmed for 3 months.

There is a backup plan for William and George's evacuation in case of pandemic catastrophe. Hopefully not.  The Cambridge's may be separated temporarily from their children IF the government requires William and Kate. 

The 1000 year old firm will not take risks nor act against their own public health officials.  BUT if the DOC's are required for any national unity, the Queen has already stated that her family is prepared to do what needs to be done.

This is not WWII, but Elizabeth 14 (with her sister) during the war was shifted from Buckingham Palace to Balmoral without her parents to Sandringham without her parents to Windsor Castle.  The parents were being shifted here and there too. They had their secret plans approved by the UK Gov.

Of course she saw her parents but they did not travel together 'most' of the times, and the couple were required to do war duties.

TLLK

Quote from: wannable on March 24, 2020, 08:13:07 PM
The three households are in talks with their doctors and government daily.  My previous post is official; Queen/Philip are at WC with a skeleton staff of 8, C&C are at Birkhall since this past weekend, CH has been closed at least and confirmed for 3 months.

There is a backup plan for William and George's evacuation in case of pandemic catastrophe. Hopefully not.  The Cambridge's may be separated temporarily from their children IF the government requires William and Kate. 

The 1000 year old firm will not take risks nor act against their own public health officials.  BUT if the DOC's are required for any national unity, the Queen has already stated that her family is prepared to do what needs to be done.

This is not WWII, but Elizabeth 14 (with her sister) during the war was shifted from Buckingham Palace to Balmoral without her parents to Sandringham without her parents to Windsor Castle.  The parents were being shifted here and there too. They had their secret plans approved by the UK Gov.

Of course she saw her parents but they did not travel together 'most' of the times, and the couple were required to do war duties.

Quite likely the BRF along with the other hereditary monarchies have multiple plans for a number of scenarios due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Princess Cassandra

Quote from: sandy on March 25, 2020, 04:49:00 PM
I still am not getting the evacuation of just William and George. What if something happens to them and the next in line are not protected? I see it as a bad idea. Elizabeth and George VI were never evacuated leaving Margaret and Elizabeth, the Queen. It would also get hugely criticized. George is still a child and maybe it would be upsetting if he is separated from his mother and siblings. I think it would be too much of a burden on a young child.
Since we don't really know what the details of the plans are, it's useless to question or judge them. I'm sure all of the plans follow protocol and make sense, but just as sure that we know little or nothing about them.

TLLK

Also I would imagine that  throughout the Cold War, the "Troubles" and other scenarios involving the disruption to the government/monarchy of the UK that the BRF/government have had plans for the Prime Minister/Cabinet and the monarch and direct heir which likely are considered to be secret and would not be revealed anytime soon.

TLLK

Also posted in COVID 19 thread. How to thank the NHS with tonight's Clap for Carers  

QuoteThe Clap for our Carers campaign will bring together the nation tonight to thank NHS workers who are tirelessly battling the coronavirus pandemic.

On Thursday March 26, at 8pm, everyone is invited to applaud those looking after our loved ones from their windows, doorsteps or balconies.

The message is circulating widely on social media and hundreds of thousands of people across the UK are expected to participate.
:consoling1: :notworthy: :thumbsup:

Princess Cassandra

Quote from: sara8150 on March 25, 2020, 10:53:43 PM
Coronavirus UK: Queen thanks 405,000 NHS 'army' volunteers | Daily Mail Online

Queen is 'in good health' Buckingham Palace says amid coronavirus fears | Daily Mail Online

The Queen ?remains in good health? ? Royal Central
Every day we hear that she remains healthy is a good day. I can imagine her sitting on that lovely balcony overlooking the upper ward.  Things are escalating here in New England. Big jump in confirmed cases since Tuesday, because test kits have arrived and more confirmations are recorded.  Looks like we are confined for a while.

QueenAlex

Quote from: Princess Cassandra on March 26, 2020, 03:40:25 PM
Every day we hear that she remains healthy is a good day. I can imagine her sitting on that lovely balcony overlooking the upper ward.  Things are escalating here in New England. Big jump in confirmed cases since Tuesday, because test kits have arrived and more confirmations are recorded.  Looks like we are confined for a while.
I hope ou keep Safe... it is awful being stuck at home but Its better to be bored and isolated than to catch an illness.

TLLK

From Royal Family Twitter

Twitter

QuoteThe Royal Family
@royalfamily
#ClapForOurCarers is an opportunity to show our thanks and appreciation for @NHS
workers, volunteers and all those working on the frontline.

Join in at 8pm tonight!

Selection of photos from past visits to hospitals by QEII.

Twitter

Quote?We are enormously thankful for the expertise and commitment of our scientists, medical practitioners and emergency and public services.?

We thank you all

wannable

Video people at Windsor Castle clapping with their pots and pans, a very loud clamor for the NHS  :lol:

Go ER go.

Twitter

TLLK

From the BBC-Coverage of the response from throughout the UK.

Clap for Carers: UK in 'emotional' tribute to NHS and care workers - BBC News

The PM outside Number 10.

Twitter

QuoteOn behalf of the whole country, I want to thank all the incredible nurses, doctors, NHS support staff & carers who are working flat out to fight coronavirus
👏
#ClapForOurCarers #ClapForNHS

To help them, and protect the NHS, we need everyone to stay at home #StayHomeSaveLives

Double post auto-merged: March 27, 2020, 12:16:21 AM

Sussex Royal responded to the Clap for Carers (Not on their own Instagram, but replying)

Twitter

Double post auto-merged: March 27, 2020, 12:17:04 AM

QuoteThe Sussexes have joined in #clapforourcarers.

Double post auto-merged: March 27, 2020, 12:19:23 PM

Posted this in the COVID-19 thread, but PM Boris Johnson has tested positive and has described mild symptoms of fever and cough.

TLLK

https://honey.nine.com.au/royals/coronavirus-british-royal-family-response-victoria-arbiter/8b1e956e-83e0-4c80-904e-e4b4fc948274

QuoteVictoria Arbiter: The power of seeing royals 'on the frontlines' in times of trouble

In an opinion piece, Ms. Arbiter discusses the various times in which members of the BRF have been seen out during  difficult times and the impact that their personal visits have on the people that they meet with on those occasions. From the AIDS crisis, to the Afghanistan campaign to COVID-19 she writes about the visits that have been made over the years and the sometimes mixed reaction that they've generated.

Sadly she also writes that healthcare workers are currently facing problems with transportation (bikes stolen, cars vandalized), housing-evictions from fearful landlords and food shortages. :no:

QuoteLife couldn't be grimmer for those working on the medical frontlines, which is why it's more important than ever to give thanks, offer recognition and shell out praise however we can, whether it's by clapping from balconies, sewing masks, tweeting messages of gratitude or ? under the strictest of government sanctioned protocols ? dispatching our royals by whatever medium deemed appropriate.

Arbiter also writes about Diana's historic handshake with AIDS patients and the trips to Afghanistan undertaken by Charles, William and Anne along with Harry's tours of duty there. More recently the mixed response to the Cambridges' visit to the emergency call center. Events that had critics claiming that the actions where "foolish" and "irresponsible."

She finishes her article with the following:

QuoteToday we find ourselves living in unprecedented times with no viable blueprint on how to proceed. Families are separated, people are dying alone in isolation, and doctors in some corners of the world are being forced to choose which patient is worthy of the last ventilator ? it's a decision no human should ever be faced with.

As we strive to keep perspective and focus on what really matters perhaps we could, even for a minute, hold off on the armchair criticism regardless of the royal in question. We're all stressed, scared and uncertain of what the future holds in store. The same could be said for members of the royal family ? especially with one of their own now ailing. They, much like everyone else, are simply trying to do their best.
:thumbsup:

oak_and_cedar

I think it's wise that HM is isolating, of course.

But I also think that PW and family, and the younger royals should lay low for a week or two at least.

However, it is good for morale to have the RF visible during this time. They can also be 'active' on social media. Prince Edward and family, and the Cambridge's clapping for the NHS via instagram is a good example.

QueenAlex

Quote from: oak_and_cedar on March 28, 2020, 10:37:42 AM
I think it's wise that HM is isolating, of course.

But I also think that PW and family, and the younger royals should lay low for a week or two at least.

However, it is good for morale to have the RF visible during this time. They can also be 'active' on social media. Prince Edward and family, and the Cambridge's clapping for the NHS via instagram is a good example.

they are all lying low.  Will and Kate did one appearance to support NHS workers, which I think was a wise gesture as it brought attention to their work and was a support for people who have no choice but to go out and to mix with people who are sick... Charles is keeping busy by computer though he is isolated at Birkhall...