Harry and Megan Relationship

Started by SophieChloe, January 09, 2017, 06:24:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Curryong

From what I know of the BRF I would think that Meghan would almost certainly be required to become a British citizen. Harry will never get to the throne but he is still a senior Royal and a King's son when Charles succeeds. I don't think TPTB would allow a foreign national to marry in at that level without her at least having dual citizenship. It would be bad PR, and when on tour the formula is always that the Royal has been asked to go on behalf of HM Government. The British Foreign/Commonwealth Office can't direct foreigners to act on their behalf, even Harry's wife.

I would be absolutely astounded if Meghan were to be allowed to keep acting. It would be unprecedented and I don't believe it would be allowed for all sorts of reasons. I also don't think that any property would be bought by Harry/Meghan either in California or in the US in general.

Harry is wealthy but not that wealthy. The BRF has investment property all over the world including North America, in the shape of apartments mostly, and one of these could be used. However, members of the family never have any trouble getting people to lend them property when they want to visit a locale for a while and that is probably what would happen here. Meghan might keep her Toronto pad as well.

The trouble with any senior Royal spending huge lengths of time abroad is security expenses. Harry's time in Africa with RPOs could be explained away by his doing conservation work. Holidays in LA catching up with Meghan's mother couldn't be justified in the same way. British media and government would soon start complaining about security expenses and time spent holidaying away from the UK. If Rania went to England to visit her daughter and stay with the couple that wouldn't draw the same objections and would be considered OK.

No member of the BRF can afford to ignore the British media for long.

A case in point is the rate of engagements this year in comparison to last year. The fact that the Cambridges and Harry have already performed a lot of engagements this year is partly because the Queen and PP are now very elderly and they are now stepping up to the plate. However, I also believe that a lot more have been pencilled in because of a sustained Press campaign last year about the Cambridges in particular not working enough, and Harry taking time off in Africa also came in for criticism.

The point is that Harry certainly won't take advice from the British public and Press as to who he is to marry.

However, the rest of his life is pretty well circumscribed and restricted. The BRF is a juggernaut as well as a gilded cage and members have to fit in and behave in a certain way or be crushed, as Diana and Fergie found to their cost. Members certainly can't do what they want, go swanning off to wherever they want when they want. Meghan will have to conform or she will be out, it will be as simple as that. It's just the way the family operates.

TLLK

Quote from: Yale on March 12, 2017, 06:55:04 PM
What a romantic thing do do if true which I hope it's not in fact I hope it's not.  Harry has to catch Meghan off guard to surprise her and this article if it were true would ruin that for them.  That is why I hope there is no truth in it. 

Prince Harry plans to ?turn Diana?s tiara into engagement ring? | Royal | News | Express.co.uk
From what I have read that photo shows  a piece that was loaned to that Diana from the Queen for the Australian tour and would have been returned upon her divorce. Now it is possible that there is another similar one that Charles gifted to Diana and was part of her personal property. Upon her death it was inherited by her sons.

If Harry wishes to create a ring for his future bride from some of his mother's jewelry then I'm sure that he has some options to use.

Double post auto-merged: March 12, 2017, 11:58:43 PM

QuoteFrom what I know of the BRF I would think that Meghan would almost certainly be required to become a British citizen. Harry will never get to the throne but he is still a senior Royal and a King's son when Charles succeeds. I don't think TPTB would allow a foreign national to marry in at that level without her at least having dual citizenship. It would be bad PR, and when on tour the formula is always that the Royal has been asked to go on behalf of HM Government. The British Foreign/Commonwealth Office can't direct foreigners to act on their behalf, even Harry's wife.

Good points @Curryong. Among the foreign nationals that have married into the family most have been Commonwealth citizens ie: Canada or New Zealand.  Would you happen to know if Brigitte (Denmark) and Marie Christine (Austria) have relinquished their original citizenship?

Curryong

^ The records are quiet about the citizenship of the Duchess of Gloucester and Princess Marie-Christine, TLLK. Not a sausage about it anywhere.

However, Marina of Kent certainly received British citizenship when she married a King's son and I believe it would be the same for Meghan. Brigitte has been on many trips overseas representing the Queen. It would be inconceivable in my view for her to do that without having at least dual citizenship.

I don't know when Marie-Christine (Princess Michael of Kent) went to Australia but I believe it was when she was very small. Her mother and brother had/have Australian citizenship. Her brother worked in the Australiian public service in Canberra, impossible to do if you aren't an Australian citizen, so it may be that Marie-Christine herself obtained Australian Residency when she was younger and received British citizenship later. She's referred to as British in everything I've read.

Yale

Quote from: sandy on March 12, 2017, 10:43:28 PM
Quote from: Tiddles88 on March 12, 2017, 05:16:04 PM
^ I see. Well, in that case, assuming they get married:

- I think they will buy a house in the US, but not spend very much time there.

- Meghan will have to give up acting.

- The kids will call her mama (which I believe is what William and Harry called Diana when they were very little)

- Meghan will take elocution lessons and her accent will gradually become mid-atlantic, then tend towards RP, but still with an American flavour.

Personally, I hope they don't get married, because Meghan seems to be a really bad fit with the BRF (she's not bland and boring like Kate) and I honestly think she can do better in every way than Harry. 

Why must a royal wife be "bland"? There were very vivacious women who married into the royal family including Lady Elizabeth Bowes Lyon and Princess Marina for instance. I don't see her as a bad fit if she and Harry are in love and want to get married. I think she will adapt well.

Adapting is one but changing her is something else entirely.   Meghan is a strong woman so I highly doubt she will allow Harry's family to do that. In fact, I doubt he would allow it himself.  The fact that she is different and not a British woman is partly what attracts Harry to Meghan as a person, a girlfriend and a wife is what I believe.

Curryong

I like Harry very much and favour him marrying Meghan if he's in love. However, Meghan will become the wife of a senior member of the BRF if they marry, whether she is foreign, 'different' or not. Therefore she will have to fit in to the BRF lifestyle, give up her acting career, and realise that as a working member of the BRF she (and Harry) won't be able to make frequent visits to the US or fly off to exotic locations for holidays whenever she feels like it and has the spare time.

Meghan  will have to more or less conform to a standard of behaviour and a lifestyle that may seem very alien to her. You can't be a rebel (as Diana tried to be) or a constant traveller (the Yorks) in the BRF without paying for it in some way, both in public support and in other ways.

Harry is a very easygoing bloke, but he is still a Royal. He participates, and seemingly enjoys, shoots at Sandringham, fishing at Birkhall, Ascot at Windsor, Remembrance Days and Sandringham Christmases with his family. Even if the couple divide their Christmases as the Cambridges do, that still means formal Sandringham Xmases every other year.

Yale

Quote from: Curryong on March 13, 2017, 01:38:37 AM
I like Harry very much and favour him marrying Meghan if he's in love. However, Meghan will become the wife of a senior member of the BRF if they marry, whether she is foreign, 'different' or not. Therefore she will have to fit in to the BRF lifestyle, give up her acting career, and realise that as a working member of the BRF she (and Harry) won't be able to make frequent visits to the US or fly off to exotic locations for holidays whenever she feels like it and has the spare time.

Meghan  will have to more or less conform to a standard of behaviour and a lifestyle that may seem very alien to her. You can't be a rebel (as Diana tried to be) or a constant traveller (the Yorks) in the BRF without paying for it in some way, both in public support and in other ways.

Harry is a very easygoing bloke, but he is still a Royal. He participates, and seemingly enjoys, shoots at Sandringham, fishing at Birkhall, Ascot at Windsor, Remembrance Days and Sandringham Christmases with his family. Even if the couple divide their Christmases as the Cambridges do, that still means formal Sandringham Xmases every other year.

Now suppose you're wrong and she doesn't have to stop acting 100%? Have you ever thought about that?  Harry is no longer 2nd and 3rd in line for the throne.  Harry himself doesn't want to be a full time royal.  And I sick of reading that she'll have to conform to stuff as if she has to stop being an American, who she is and loose herself in the process.  No!

Curryong

^ If Meghan continues to act after marriage  she will be stepping into a minefield.

Sophie got criticised during her time running a PR firm with allegations of favouritism shown to some of her clients. The Wessexes were further away from the throne than Harry is now but the critics were still voracious.

In show business it will be even worse. If Meghan gets a large part in a major film there will be allegations that she only got it because of who she is. There will be the jealousy of fellow actors.

If she's involved in a love scene or even kissing someone on screen it will be all over the tabloids. If she becomes friendly, just friendly, with a fellow male actor and is seen laughing with him, hugging him, having a drink with him, the tabloids will have a field day!

British tabloid reporters (who are capable of anything)  will hang around the movie or TV set where Meghan is, trolling for any gossip. If fellow actors don't like her, another story for them!  If she goes out in a group of fellow actors to a bar in her off time, another potential scandal.

Royals are not supposed to promote commercial products which is what a film is. How will Meghan be able to promote anything she appears in, under those rules?

The wife of a senior member of the BRF just has to work at being a Royal, at engagements, because that's just what they do.

Harry may not like it too much. I doubt that William does. They perform charitable engagements and take part in ceremonial because, as members of the BRF that is their duty. It's 'paying' in a way, for living where they do, and for the perks of the position that they enjoy. That goes for their wives also.

And believe me, because he is William's only sibling and Charles's only other son, Harry will be a full time Royal until George at least is able to take on royal duties and probably after that as well.

There's a reason why no female spouse in the BRF has never been able to work in female employment after marriage. I've stated some possible scenarios above.

Grace Kelly had to give up a career 10000 times greater than anything Meghan has ever had simply because her future job was being a Princess of Monaco and being a film star was incompatible with that.

Lady Deb

^^ I agree, Meghan would have to give up acting. She is only his girlfriend and look how immature the press have behaved already reporting some of the roles or scenes Meghan has acted in, with so many rubbish 'look away Harry' headlines. IMO, Meghan seems like she is ready to move on from acting anyway. In the more recent years, she has expanded her activism and charity work and can develop these areas further.

Tiddles88

Quote from: sandy on March 12, 2017, 10:43:28 PM
Quote from: Tiddles88 on March 12, 2017, 05:16:04 PM
^ I see. Well, in that case, assuming they get married:

- I think they will buy a house in the US, but not spend very much time there.

- Meghan will have to give up acting.

- The kids will call her mama (which I believe is what William and Harry called Diana when they were very little)

- Meghan will take elocution lessons and her accent will gradually become mid-atlantic, then tend towards RP, but still with an American flavour.

Personally, I hope they don't get married, because Meghan seems to be a really bad fit with the BRF (she's not bland and boring like Kate) and I honestly think she can do better in every way than Harry. 

Why must a royal wife be "bland"? There were very vivacious women who married into the royal family including Lady Elizabeth Bowes Lyon and Princess Marina for instance. I don't see her as a bad fit if she and Harry are in love and want to get married. I think she will adapt well.

I think blandness is preferred now because the monarchy is on shaky ground. Who knows what will happen once HM has passed? A fair amount of people are pushing for a republic. And a prince or princess who divides public opinion is a potential danger. Kate is as bland and inoffensive as unflavoured rice (now, if only she'd pull her socks up and do some work...), but Meghan, now she is just so very different. An actress, which is not a respectable profession for the old guard monarchists; American, which  is not the most popular nationality in the world (it's not personal, rather a result of US foreign policy); working class (clutch your pearls, ladies, but sadly class matters in the UK); part of celebrity culture ( :unsure:)... She's like a firework on a dark night to Kate's daisy flower*.

*Daisies = Pretty, inoffensive, but utterly forgettable

ETA: @Yale - presumably, if they're already at the "designing an engagement ring" stage, she probably knows and has maybe even had a hand in the design. I'd love it if they used emeralds - I have a bee in my bonnet about how good emeralds would look on Meghan.

sandy

They already let Camilla in. And would look like darn fools if they did not let an "actress in." Ronald Reagan was a Hollywood actor and became President. So acting should be no obstacle

Eri

Like no way this woman is cut to be a Royal ... no way ... Kate is a British girl who fought 11 years for the Tiara and  we all know is facing difficulties and runs to mommy every chance she gets ... Megan wouldn't survive 1 Month in that environment ...

Yale

Quote from: Curryong on March 12, 2017, 10:57:48 PM
From what I know of the BRF I would think that Meghan would almost certainly be required to become a British citizen. Harry will never get to the throne but he is still a senior Royal and a King's son when Charles succeeds. I don't think TPTB would allow a foreign national to marry in at that level without her at least having dual citizenship. It would be bad PR, and when on tour the formula is always that the Royal has been asked to go on behalf of HM Government. The British Foreign/Commonwealth Office can't direct foreigners to act on their behalf, even Harry's wife.

I would be absolutely astounded if Meghan were to be allowed to keep acting. It would be unprecedented and I don't believe it would be allowed for all sorts of reasons. I also don't think that any property would be bought by Harry/Meghan either in California or in the US in general.

Harry is wealthy but not that wealthy. The BRF has investment property all over the world including North America, in the shape of apartments mostly, and one of these could be used. However, members of the family never have any trouble getting people to lend them property when they want to visit a locale for a while and that is probably what would happen here. Meghan might keep her Toronto pad as well.

The trouble with any senior Royal spending huge lengths of time abroad is security expenses. Harry's time in Africa with RPOs could be explained away by his doing conservation work. Holidays in LA catching up with Meghan's mother couldn't be justified in the same way. British media and government would soon start complaining about security expenses and time spent holidaying away from the UK. If Rania went to England to visit her daughter and stay with the couple that wouldn't draw the same objections and would be considered OK.

No member of the BRF can afford to ignore the British media for long.

A case in point is the rate of engagements this year in comparison to last year. The fact that the Cambridges and Harry have already performed a lot of engagements this year is partly because the Queen and PP are now very elderly and they are now stepping up to the plate. However, I also believe that a lot more have been pencilled in because of a sustained Press campaign last year about the Cambridges in particular not working enough, and Harry taking time off in Africa also came in for criticism.

The point is that Harry certainly won't take advice from the British public and Press as to who he is to marry.

However, the rest of his life is pretty well circumscribed and restricted. The BRF is a juggernaut as well as a gilded cage and members have to fit in and behave in a certain way or be crushed, as Diana and Fergie found to their cost. Members certainly can't do what they want, go swanning off to wherever they want when they want. Meghan will have to conform or she will be out, it will be as simple as that. It's just the way the family operates.

My information tells me that Meghan would be given British citizenship automatically upon marriage to Harry but she would be allowed to retain her US citizenship and I got that from the British Embassy and a friend who is a Brit.

Curryong

^ Yes, third  line down in my post I said 'without her at least having dual citizenship'. There may be some controversy over such a thing being fast-tracked over thousands of other applications for citizenship, but Meghan would certainly have to have British citizenship in order to play a part in overseas tours etc.

TLLK

QuoteNow suppose you're wrong and she doesn't have to stop acting 100%? Have you ever thought about that?  Harry is no longer 2nd and 3rd in line for the throne.  Harry himself doesn't want to be a full time royal.  And I sick of reading that she'll have to conform to stuff as if she has to stop being an American, who she is and loose herself in the process.  No!

Sorry I have to agree with @Curryong. If he proposes and she accepts then her acting career will come to an end.

Harry will very likely become a full time royal when his father ascends to the throne or as his grandmother's cousins begin to cut back on their engagements. When Charles becomes king  his aunt and uncles will probably be scaling back on their activities.

Harry and spouse will be needed to support the King/Queen and the Prince/Princess of Wales until George and Charlotte are finished with their education and reach adulthood.

Meghan could always retain part of her American heritage. There is nothing to stop her and her family from celebrating Thanksgiving in November or  even Independence Day. She can introduce her children to American literature, history, traditions and more. The Kent family certainly knows about its Greek heritage brought to the UK by Princess Marina.

Eri

^ Let's not jump the shark here ... he has only been dating her for a couple of Months and can't bare her presence for more than three Days ... if he has children it won't be by Megan ...

sandy

I would not make that definite statement. It's your opinion.How do you know how he feels about her?

Yale

Quote from: Eri on March 14, 2017, 12:11:49 AM
^ Let's not jump the shark here ... he has only been dating her for a couple of Months and can't bare her presence for more than three Days ... if he has children it won't be by Megan ...
@Eri Harry has been dating her for almost a year! Give it a rest please! Everybody gets that you don't like her!!  And I not even going to bother to address the other two comments because you don't have a clue! So, it pointless.

Curryong

^ I don't know about 'a couple of months,' considering that the KP statement about the romance  came out in early November last year and in it Harry stated that they had been dating for 'several months'. Most observers believe they started dating in May/June 2016, which makes the dating period considerably longer than two months however you cut it.

Yale

Quote from: sandy on March 14, 2017, 12:28:39 AM
I would not make that definite statement. It's your opinion.How do you know how he feels about her?

You are a lot nicer than I.  Thank you.

Eri

Quote from: Yale on March 14, 2017, 12:28:52 AM
@Eri Harry has been dating her for almost a year! Give it a rest please! Everybody gets that you don't like her!!  And I not even going to bother to address the other two comments because you don't have a clue! So, it pointless.
A Year ago she was still with the cook so careful there ... seems to me we are both speculating and expressing our opinion on things we know nothing about which is what we are here to do ... history will tell who is right ...

Yale

Quote from: Eri on March 14, 2017, 01:48:16 AM
A Year ago she was still with the cook so careful there ... seems to me we are both speculating and expressing our opinion on things we know nothing about which is what we are here to do ... history will tell who is right ...

This coming from someone who said this relationship would be over in December 2016. It's now the middle of March.  I understand that he took to his best friend's wedding and just a few days ago were caught making out in Jamiaca and she has stayed with in at KP for a little over two months.  How does that constitute your so called 3 day comment?

Curryong

^^  Yes, except that it has been clearly more than two months since Harry and Meghan started seeing each other. That would mean a January start to the romance, and considering photos and the statement were published in November and December, estimating a mere two months of dating is wildly inaccurate.

Double post auto-merged: March 14, 2017, 02:04:32 AM

^ Yes, except that it has been clearly more than two months since Harry and Meghan started seeing each other. That would mean a January start to the romance, and considering photos and the statement were published in November and December, two months of dating is wildly inaccurate.

Eri

Quote from: Yale on March 14, 2017, 02:01:45 AM
Quote from: Eri on March 14, 2017, 01:48:16 AM

This coming from someone who said this relationship would be over in December 2016. It's now the middle of March.  I understand that he took to his best friend's wedding and just a few days ago were caught making out in Jamiaca and she has stayed with in at KP for a little over two months.  How does that constitute your so called 3 day comment?
They spend like three Days together in one of which Prince Dim was photographed with his friends and she was no where to be found ... she was send back on her merry way in Toronto ... Harry looking happy to be a free agent ...

vlaxym

https://68.media.tumblr.com/3b1bdeb042d5be32d013c42f5a9a3ea8/tumblr_omt57pXuBF1w3j4rdo2_1280.jpg

Double post auto-merged: March 14, 2017, 10:18:19 PM

Double post auto-merged: March 14, 2017, 10:19:05 PM

https://68.media.tumblr.com/bda8cd462a36c7bdbb07e32c1027393e/tumblr_omt57pXuBF1w3j4rdo3_1280.jpg

Double post auto-merged: March 14, 2017, 10:20:44 PM

^new pics from Jamaica

Curryong

Great! New photos that an Italian? magazine has acquired. Lovely to see, I wonder whether there are more photos inside?   :blowkiss: