Jordanian Monarchy: Articles from 2013

Started by Blue Clover, December 21, 2012, 07:43:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Windsor

Documentary looking at Saudi Arabia. I found this documentary fascinating, the Saudi Prince and his family seem quite lovely. Though, I do find them to be rather out of touch with the reality of the ordinary people in the Kingdom

Macrobug

I watched a couple of minutes and will watch the rest later.  Thanks for posting this!  I worked in Saudi (Riyahd) back in 1997/8 and the scenes in the city at the begining took me right back.  :happy15:   Fascinating place.  Never want to work there again but would love to visit again.
GNU Terry Pratchett

Windsor

Ohh do further expand on your Saudi experiences.  :notworthy:

marine2109

QuotePrincess Of Bruni New Years Eve Party in Mayfair
London, England - 31.12.12

WENN Photo Library - Search Results

cinrit

QuoteAmman, Jan. 6 (Petra) -- Her Majesty Queen Rania Al Abdullah chaired today the annual meeting of the Board of Trustees of Al Aman Fund for the Future of Orphans.

The meeting included presentations by the fund Director, Maha Al Saqqa, about the fund's strategies and goals, including increasing the number of vocational training beneficiaries from 12% to 20%, as well as improving cohesion with labor market requirements.

Al Saqqa also spoke about the fund's achievements in the past years such as increasing the number of beneficiaries by 15% in the year 2012 and by 16% in the previous year.

Jordan News Agency (Petra) |Queen Rania chairs Al Aman Fund Board of Trustees meeting 

Cindy
Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

Jenee

?Drunk? prince is cleared of jet rage - Crime - News - London Evening Standard

A billionaire Arab prince thrown off an airline on suspicion of being drunk walked free from court today — after prosecutors said the plane never actually took off.
"It does not do to dwell on dreams, and forget to live" -Dumbledore

Windsor

Meh, these Arab Princes need to be taught a lesson in good behavior.

Blue Clover

American Royal Fan

cinrit

QuoteSaudi Arabia's King Abdullah has appointed 30 women to the previously all-male consultative Shura Council.

Two decrees reconstituted the council, which advises the government on new legislation, for a new four-year term - and stated that women should always hold at least a fifth of its 150 seats.

The king took the decisions following consultations with religious leaders.

The council has had female "advisers", but women still have little role in public life in the conservative state.

BBC News - Saudi Arabia's king appoints women to Shura Council 

Cindy

cinrit

QuoteHer Majesty Queen Rania Al Abdullah of Jordan will deliver a keynote speech during the launch of the inaugural Abu Dhabi Sustainability Week (ADSW) at the opening ceremony of the sixth annual World Future Energy Summit and first International Water Summit on January 15, Masdar, Abu Dhabi's renewable energy company, announced.

Queen Rania will join French President Francois Hollande as a keynote speaker at the inauguration of the Abu Dhabi Sustainability Week during the opening ceremony of the World Future Energy Summit and the International Water Summit on January 15.

Among the attendees are King Juan Carlos of Spain, the President of Iceland Olafur Ragnar Grimsson, Prime Minister of Serbia Ivica Dacic, Prime Minister of Montenegro Milo Djukanovic, and President of Mauritania Mohamed Ould Abdel Aziz, Masdar said in a press release.

http://www.7daysindubai.com/Queen-Rania-speak-opening-ceremony-Abu-Dhabi/story-17818810-detail/story.html 

Cindy

Blue Clover

chavita

Queen Rania meets with beneficiaries of scholarships offered by international universities in Her name
QuoteAmman, Jan 21 (Petra)--Her Majesty Queen Rania Al Abdullah met today with beneficiaries of scholarships offered by various international universities. These scholarships are offered to Jordanian youth in recognition of Queen Rania's efforts in the education field, locally and internationally. In the meeting, Her Majesty listened to the group talk about their experiences, and the positive effect these programs had on their lives.
Harryite #0009

chavita

Queen Rania: UAE is a pioneer in renewables
QuoteThe monarch praised the country's leadership for implementing initiatives such as Masdar and the Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum Solar Park.
She was speaking on the sidelines of Abu Dhabi Sustainability Week, which ran from January 13 to 17, and where she gave a speech on Tuesday.

Queen Rania's message to the Arab youth
QuoteHow important is youth leadership and entrepreneurship to growing the Middle East economy?
If you look at the region, about a third of the population are youth, aged between 15 and 29. That's over 100 million people. We've been saying for years that this enormous youth bulge is an "economic blessing", a "demographic dividend", and a "window of opportunity" but there hasn't been sufficient action.
Harryite #0009

chavita

Queen Rania meets with female academics from the University of Jordan
QuoteAMMAN (Petra) -- In recognition of the leading educational role played by the University of Jordan and its academics as the country's first higher education institution, Her Majesty Queen Rania Al Abdullah met on Sunday with a group of female professors, lecturers and teachers from various faculties at the university.
Harryite #0009

cinrit

QuoteJordanians voted Wednesday in parliamentary elections that will see the king hand over considerable powers to the newly elected legislature, including choosing a new prime minster.

The new legislature is one of a series of reforms King Abdullah II has undertaken over the past two years to control rising anger at home as political turmoil sweeps across the Middle East. The reforms also make the elected legislature responsible for much of the nation's day-to-day affairs, and allow for greater freedom of opinion and assembly. Foreign policy and security matters, however, remain in the hands of the king.

The 2011 Arab Spring uprisings in the region set off a wave of demonstrations in Jordan, although not on the scale of the protests that toppled autocratic leaders in Egypt, Libya, Yemen and Tunisia. Abdullah has introduced the reforms at home in a measured manner, trying to manage the pace of change.

Jordanian monarchy cedes powers in parliamentary election - World - CBC News 

Cindy

Windsor

A very good move to appease the masses in Jordan. :nod:

DaFluffs

I have a lot of respect for King Abdullah & Queen Rania and the manner in which they are defining their reign.  I liked King Hussein & Queen Noor too.

I see them as set apart from other arab monarchies although I have to admit I'm not an expert in Saudi Arabia, UAE, royalties etc.  I think I've come to this conclusion based upon how the Queens have outwardly & vocally supported various causes and achievements in Jordan.  Despite being an arab country it appears that they allow women to do this.

I pray the best for them and worry about Arab Spring uprisings in their country.

I'm sure there is much I do not know; I wish I could read arabic.  Didn't Saddam Hussein's [Iraq] daughters seek refuge in this country?  I believe they are still there...?