Diana's Fashion, Jewelry and accessories- All Years

Started by LouisFerdinand, December 14, 2015, 10:21:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amabel2

Quote from: PrincessOfPeace on September 10, 2021, 02:56:44 AM
I'm not sure and maybe I'm completely off base but I thought I read somewhere William could alter Diana's estate when he turned 30.
Cant see how that would be legally possible.  He wasn't an executor..

Amabel2

The will left Dianas property to be divided between her sons.. so one would assume that the jewellery like her money was to go in equal shares to the 2 boys.  so they would presumably have them valued  and divided up equally.  Possibly if William has gotten the bigger pieces he has compensated Harry with money... I can't see how else it could be divided fairly.

TLLK

Quote from: Nightowl on September 10, 2021, 02:57:44 AM
Why is the monetary value so important?  Did the *will* say that each had to have the same amount of value in each piece of jewelry and that the boys had to just have an *equal* share of jewels?   Should William pay Harry money for it seems like Harry got the less share of jewels compared to William because Meghan is only seen wearing minimal pieces of  Diana's jewelry.

I would like to think that William discussed with Harry that their mother's engagement ring was meant for the next future queen consort as Diana never got that in her life. And with Catherine going to be at future queen consort wearing that engagement ring just might in their minds bring Diana closer to that position.   

And I am only talking about Diana's Personal Jewelry. The boys split it I would like to think, William will be king someday and had Catherine in his life, Harry was a single gut at the time........so maybe things worked out the way they wanted at *that time*, today is a very different time.

When the boys first went to KP to select a personal memento from Diana's personal jewelry collection after her death, I believe that monetary value was not at the forefront of their minds. I believe that they selected the engagement ring and the watch because these were familiar pieces that they'd seen her wear for much of their lifetimes. It's a possibility that at some point the remaining ones were appraised for their value at a later date though to insure them and to keep them protected. I wouldn't be surprised if everything remained at BP in the vaults until "needed." After that only the brothers, their wives and the court jeweler would truly know who has inherited what pieces and what has become of the rest. I wouldn't be surprised if Catherine and Meghan only have a few items that would be worn more frequently for daytime/evening events in their personal jewelry boxes. In addition to their engagement rings, I suspect for Catherine it's the sapphire earrings and for Meghan the Cartier Tank watch.   It's possible that  other items ie: Collingwood pearl earrings, South Sea Pearl earrings (interchangeable) aquamarine ring and others more suited to  formal daytime/evening/gala events likely live in the vaults with the intention that both would have access when needed.

Curryong

I think that Meghan has all her pieces of jewellery from Diana?s collection with her in California. I don?t believe that she left anything in the vaults to be ?looked after? for her by BP or ?custodian? Angela Kelly. Meghan and Harry are perfectly capable of hiring a safety deposit box or the equivalent at a bank near their home, and keeping any precious or valuable objects there. Meghan also has a Cartier. Watch of her own, bought years ago, that she has worn frequently.

Amabel2

Then presumably she and H have their share of the jewellery...

Curryong

Quote from: Amabel2 on September 10, 2021, 03:24:05 PM
Then presumably she and H have their share of the jewellery...

Meghan I would say has the share that Harry received. What that was we don?t know. All we?ve got to go on is what we?ve seen her wear, which, with the exception of the aquamarine ring and the Cartier watch,  doesn?t appear to be very much that is of great monetary value. We can?t judge what we haven?t seen. Perhaps one day there will be an accurate account written of the division of Diana?s personal jewellery.

TLLK

Quote from: Curryong on September 10, 2021, 02:16:50 PM
I think that Meghan has all her pieces of jewellery from Diana?s collection with her in California. I don?t believe that she left anything in the vaults to be ?looked after? for her by BP or ?custodian? Angela Kelly. Meghan and Harry are perfectly capable of hiring a safety deposit box or the equivalent at a bank near their home, and keeping any precious or valuable objects there. Meghan also has a Cartier. Watch of her own, bought years ago, that she has worn frequently.

I definitely agree that the casual pieces that Meghan has in her possession are likely with her in CA, but if some of the items require more care than CA jewelers are accustomed to working with  (ie if the emeralds from Charles, the Saudi suite if it remained in Diana's possession) then it would make sense to me for them to be in a safe location with professionals who have experience.

I tend to believe that the royal ladies keep these items in BP's secure vaults rather than in their own homes.

Yes it's The Sun but the estimated value in pounds that might be fetched from auction in this article from Oct. 2020 on the items that Meghan likely has in her possession is substantial especially due to their connection with Diana. Of course this is all an estimate but the items definitely have value today.

Aquamarine ring- 100,000

Cartier watch- 500,000

Sapphire and gold bangle-4,000 - 6,000.

Even the little earrings were estimated to fetch 50,000.

How Meghan Markle is rocking over ?650k worth of Princess Diana?s jewellery from a Cartier watch to that Aquamarine Ring

wannable

Perhaps the appropriate time to wear it will be at an USA Awards show (s), Emmy's is coming soon, the MET Gala and that type of events in the USA.

The BRF are famous the world over for having the best of the best in showcasing extraordinary jewelry; tiaras, earrings, necklace, bracelets State banquets, including cheery or solemn yearly events. IF the couple had stayed as senior working royals, I'm sure Meghan would be seen 2022 post pandemic at the Japanese state banquet.

Curryong

Yes, TLLK, but Meghan is an ocean plus half a continent away from BP, and as the relations between the Sussexes and the Pooh-Bahs at BP are not good to say the least I really doubt she would want to leave them there.

It?s different for the royals who live in the Home Counties or around London. All they have to do is inform Angela Kelly  or someone else when a certain item is needed and it will be arranged. Whereas anything of great value like the emeralds you?ve mentioned would have to be transported thousands of miles to LA, with huge insurance costs added. I am sure that there are large banks in LA that would have experience in guarding very expensive and unique jewellery.

I think the Saudi suite was probably regarded as not part of the personal jewellery by BP and so was returned by Charles to the Royal Collection. It?s always a fine line as to what constitutes a personal gift to a person and what was given by other royal families by virtue of the person?s rank as a royal, and in this case Diana wasn?t present to argue her case.

As another example I actually doubt that Meghan still has the very fine necklet of Pacific black pearls she was given as a gift on the 2018 Oceania tour. I hope she still has them but they may very well have gone to the Royal Collection.

As for estimates of worth in Meghan?s clothing and jewellery the very last person I would trust to do so accurately would be a tabloid journalist from the Sun, Fail etc. Of course the Diana provenance pushes up the value but I know from the years of reading what they stated about the value of Meghan?s possessions everything was inflated about 200%!

TLLK

Posts about the Duchess of Cambridge at the State Banquet have been moved to the thread on her fashion. Please remember that this is the thread for the late, Diana, Princess of Wales fashion, jewelry and accessories.

Catherine's fashion jewelry, and style all years

TLLK

Diana at a return dinner for the 1987 State Visit by the King of Morocco. She's wearing the Spencer Tiara, The Queen's Family Order,  her diamond necklace with the Prince of Wales pendant and diamond and pearl earrings.

The Prince and Princess of Wales attending a state banquet held by... News Photo - Getty Images

Curryong

Diana always looked spectacular in blue, a favourite colour, and this dress was especially lovely.

TLLK

Thank you @Curryong. Your post featuring royals looking less than interested inspired me to create a new thread for when royals show their human side.   :Jen: :royalsneeze: :windsor1: :wacko: :cry: :fuming: :happy17:

You can find this in the Modern Monarchies forum.

Royal Moments

Curryong

Diana here but in March 1982, pregnant with William and 20 years old, she attended her first State Banquet, for the Sultan of Oman. Diana always looked beautiful and everyone was enchanted with her.

Princess diana state banquet 1982 ? Princess Diana News Blog "All Things Princess Diana"

TLLK

@Curryong-Thank you for sharing the blog post about Diana at the State Banquet in 1982. She was absolutely blooming in the video footage and glittering in the Spencer tiara and the her sapphire bracelet. I'm having some trouble identifying her earrings though so if anyone knows which pair they were, please let me know.

Amabel2

i have a question about the story of the keepsakes, for the boys.  where does this story come from? Is it Paul Burrell or anyone else in Di's household or did the boys make some kind of statement?  the story seems to be that soon after D's death the 2 boys were invited to pick some item from Di's jewellery to have and remember her by.. and Harry picked her ring and William her watch.  but like I siad, Im curious as to who put the story out there? 

wannable

Paul Burrell explained why Harry chose her ring during the 2017 Amazon Prime documentary The Diana Story.

"I remember when I held mummy's hand when I was a small boy and that ring always hurt me because it was so big," Harry said according to Burrell.

Harry later passed the ring to his older brother Prince William when he proposed to Kate Middleton in October 2010.

According to Burrell, Harry said to William, "One day that ring will be sat on the throne of England".

Amabel2

Im sure it has been mentioned before 2017.  but if you are saying that Burrell put the story out there, frankly i would be very very sceptical about it. I've always been a  bit sceptical because of the stuff about Harry having the ring first and then giving it to William, but if it was from the fertile imagination of Burrell, I think i would disbelieve it completely...
its possible that the boys did get keepsakes but i can't quite see them delving into the jewel collection and pikcing out rings etc at the ages of 15 and 13.  why not a favourite pen or photographs or even an item of clothing?

wannable

I don't really follow Burrell, but I've read and heard (in a scale) more bad things (and behaviour) of him than good. The most bad things summed up in a word was/is fantasist. He made up or exaggerated a lot of stuff surrounding Diana.?!

Maybe when William is old and grey he will tell the story of the ring. Honestly, He is the only person in reference to this question of keepsake I will believe.  I can't take any Harry story since Megxit, Oprah, running to Gayle (and at every opportunity to trash talk his fam)

^Thanks for the question, I find it interesting too and now I'm very curious about the ''original'' source! (Hence my William comment of when he's old and grey)

Curryong

I followed Harry specifically on behalf of a younger relative who was a fan, from the time he was 19. That story of the young Harry picking out Diana?s ring as a memento and William picking the watch was around then. And TRF was discussing it as early as 2004. So that story has been around for a very long time.

The source was Burrell. I think it was around the time after his trial when he was in the US talking on innumerable TV shows and flogging the book that he had written about Diana, that Burrell stated that (and I?m relying on my memory here) he was in charge of packing up Diana?s possessions at the KP apartment shortly after her death and the two boys came in (having been told to pick out a piece of jewellery for themselves to remember Mummy by) and Harry picked her engagement ring because (according to Burrell) he said could remember the feel of it on her hand when she held his hand (possibly it felt too big at times when she had her eating disorder) and William picked the Cartier watch.

I can?t remember what year Burrell?s aborted trial was (I?ll look it up later) but after the Queen suddenly remembered the conversation with him about packing up Diana?s clothing and objects de art etc, and he was cleared he went off to the US for some years, wrote his book about Diana there and filled in a whole lot of detail about her life in that and on US tv while he was living there.

I?ve always said Burrell was and is an obsessive who was probably in love with his employer, lol, and in many ways is a rather pathetic character but there?s no reason to doubt that he remembers every single thing about Diana?s life, her sons, and her death, in microscopic detail including the incident of her sons and her jewellery, which would have occurred when the apartment was being cleared and he was in charge.

Later: the Burrell trial was in 2002. He left royal service and left for the US after that. So what I?ve written above fits in with that. Burrell was a trusted servant who had begun in BP serving the Queen. And the apartment would have been cleared within months in 1997. The internet has no current newspaper reports on that procedure though. Too early.

Curryong

Quote from: Amabel2 on August 31, 2022, 05:54:43 PM
Im sure it has been mentioned before 2017.  but if you are saying that Burrell put the story out there, frankly i would be very very sceptical about it. I've always been a  bit sceptical because of the stuff about Harry having the ring first and then giving it to William, but if it was from the fertile imagination of Burrell, I think i would disbelieve it completely...
its possible that the boys did get keepsakes but i can't quite see them delving into the jewel collection and pikcing out rings etc at the ages of 15 and 13.  why not a favourite pen or photographs or even an item of clothing?

They did get pens etc. Harry got her wedding dress in Diana?s will. A lot of her furniture from KP and other belongings left at the apartment ended up in Charles Spencer?s care at Althorp until both sons turned thirty.

As for Diana?s jewellery, what the boys chose on the occasion Burrell wrote about wouldn?t have encompassed Diana?s whole collection, which officials from BP would have separated into her private jewellery, pieces she was given as gifts and those she had as Pss of Wales, which went back in the Royal Collection.

What Burrell was talking about, I believe, were the pieces of jewellery she had with her in Paris which he travelled there to collect (by permission of Charles and BP) along with her clothing. They would have included bracelets, rings, watches, necklaces etc. in her private collection and including the Cartier watch and her engagement ring. He bought them back to KP for her boys, though she may well have been buried with her wedding ring and other keepsakes that were put into her coffin by her loved ones.

Amabel2

but it is very far from definite proof that Burrell was in charge of  letting them choose keepsakes nor that they chose the watch and ring. Burrell has genuine feelings for Diana in his way but he's a fantasist, he makes up stuff to make it seem like he was much closer to Diana than he really was.. that she saw him as her closest friend and a brother rather than as she probably really did which was a servant she was fond of but ambivalent about.