The Wales': Joint Mental Health Patronages ie- Heads Together

Started by TLLK, March 06, 2016, 01:37:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TLLK

A place to discuss the Wales' joint mental health work ie: Heads Together which includes Prince Harry's involvement as well.

THE Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are joining forces with Prince Harry to launch a year-long campaign on mental health.

Each of the three will focus on particular areas of mental health in which they have an interest.

Prince Harrywill concentrate on the "invisible injuries" of servicemen and women, including post-traumatic stress disorder, depression and anxiety disorders.

The Ministry of Defence said last week that 7,434 armed forces personnel had been assessed as having a mental health condition between April 2014 and September 2015.

The duchess will highlight mental health problems suffered by children and the importance of early intervention. The duke will focus on the difficulties affecting young men, from teenagers to men of his own age.

The three will launch their campaign at the end of April. Royal sources said they were working with charities and "creatives" on a name for the campaign.

By working together on a joint campaign, the duke and duchess and Prince Harry believe they can send a powerful message across society on the importance of these issues ...... Focusing on veterans, children and young men shows how broad the issues are and how many different people mental health affects.
Summary from the Times. Royals in three-pronged bid to boost mental health | The Sunday Times

michelle0187

It's great that they are lending their support to mental health charities and chose a certain group to focus on so their efforts comes across natural. It must be challenging for them to be a voice for issues that doesn't necessarily affect their private lives.

TLLK

Quote from: michelle0187 on March 06, 2016, 06:20:22 AM
It's great that they are lending their support to mental health charities and chose a certain group to focus on so their efforts comes across natural. It must be challenging for them to be a voice for issues that doesn't necessarily affect their private lives.
However I do believe they know people among their friends and family who are currently dealing with these issues or have experienced them in the past.

TLLK

Quote from: amabel on March 06, 2016, 07:36:20 PM
I don't really see hwy they need to know people with mental disorders, to raise money and awareness for these charities..
I do believe though that they've likely met people with them throughout their years in school, while he was in the military, or just family and friends who have some of the conditions.

michelle0187

I don't really see hwy they need to know people with mental disorders, to raise money and awareness for these charities..
well spreading awareness for issues that don't hit close to home makes their efforts look not very personal. It's like not expecting a royal patron of a cancer awareness charity, to have anyone close that has battled cancer. Where was the inspiration for change coming from if it didn't personally affect their lives. I guess royals should just show up for the fund raising ribbon cutting and hugs as long as the media is documenting it. And they get the public's stamp of approval for partaking in non gap year like activities.

amabel

Quote from: TLLK on March 06, 2016, 09:57:10 PM
I do believe though that they've likely met people with them throughout their years in school, while he was in the military, or just family and friends who have some of the conditions.
Probably, but it is not a prerequisite for raising money... and naturally whatever personal knowledge they have of people with such problems, should be kept private

michelle0187

^ so why is will meeting up with a man who contemplated suicide and the man who helped talk him out if it ? It's possible to mention their personal experiences with the people who the charities are created to help, without naming names and being very specific.

TLLK

^^^ While I do agree with @michelle0187 that it is possible to keep such information confidential, I'm going to guess that the men decided it was worth sharing this personal information in order to put a "face and name" to the issue.

michelle0187

I just think if he is comfortable with using those two men's experience with suicide prevention then it's fair to say they do find using the private stories of those struggling with mental health to be acceptable, if the person gives their consent. But I don't think putting out specific  private info on the person's life (a close friend or acquaintance of the royal patrons),necessary to let the public know they too can relate. It doesn't always have to be about raising money to fund treatment centers. Raising awareness can be very beneficial in shedding the ignorance, that contributes negatively on the treatment process of the mentally ill.

TLLK

Will and Kate meet man who attempted suicide and his rescuer - YouTube

So it appears that the man who attempted suicide started his own campaign to find his rescuer. IMHO then if he chose to go public with his information it was his choice to share the reasons that motivated him to start the search.

TLLK

:goodpost:@Nightowl.

I'd like to point out that the Cambridges are not the only royal couple who find their coverage being more about fashion and hairstyles than about the actual engagement or charity. I'm sure that the CPs of Denmark and Norway have found themselves relegated to the sidelines by the press on more than one occasion as the tabloids choose to focus on their wives outfits.  :wacko: (Fortunately for Mary and Mette-Marit their husbands appear to handle this with more grace than Charles did with Diana decades ago.)

TLLK

angelasamata ‏@Angelasamata 7h7 hours ago
Today it really felt like those bereaved by suicide had a voice!So good to see how closely William & Kate listened to our experiences ��

angelasamata ‏@Angelasamata 8h8 hours ago
It was such an incredible meeting with the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge. They asked some great questions and couldn't have been nicer!

TLLK

Quote from: TLLK on March 11, 2016, 04:55:45 AM
angelasamata ‏@Angelasamata 7h7 hours ago
Today it really felt like those bereaved by suicide had a voice!So good to see how closely William & Kate listened to our experiences ��

angelasamata ‏@Angelasamata 8h8 hours ago
It was such an incredible meeting with the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge. They asked some great questions and couldn't have been nicer!
@Nightowl- A little information about the woman who met with the Cambridges and her work with Survivors of Bereavement. 

Angela Samata named Merseyside Woman of the Year 2015

TLLK

Duke of Cambridge speech at Guild of Health Writers with Heads Together - YouTube

William's speech to the Guild of Mental Healthcare Writers on 2/6/17. He addresses the suicide rate for men under 40 in the UK along with what the mental health charities' wish that the dialogue on the issue become normalized.

sara8150

TLLK

Prince William: Let's lose our stiff upper lips | Daily Mail Online

Double post auto-merged: April 18, 2017, 12:58:40 AM

Link to the original interview with William and Harry.
https://www.thecalmzone.net/get-involved/calmzine/

sara8150

Brits should lose the 'stiff upper lip', says Prince William
Brits should lose the 'stiff upper lip', says Prince William

Double post auto-merged: April 18, 2017, 07:47:46 AM

Prince William says keeping a stiff upper lip can damage health
Prince William says keeping a stiff upper lip can damage health - BBC News

Double post auto-merged: April 18, 2017, 07:49:57 AM

Prince William: No more stiff upper lip over mental health
Prince William: No more stiff upper lip over mental health

Double post auto-merged: April 18, 2017, 07:53:18 AM

George and Charlotte should be able to talk about feelings, says Prince William
Prince William wants George and Charlotte to talk about their feelings | Royal | News | Express.co.uk

Double post auto-merged: April 18, 2017, 07:54:40 AM

Prince William Says Brits Should Lose the 'Stiff Upper Lip' When It Comes to Mental Health
Prince William Says Brits Should Drop the Stiff Upper Lip

TLLK

Lothwen

I hope more people realize that talking about your feelings doesn't make you "weak", and that no matter what your situation in life, you are allowed to feel whatever you're feeling.

I always hate it when people are told to deny their feelings,  simply because  another person could be struggling more. It's not a competition.
You may think you're cool, but do you have a smiley named after you?
Harryite 12-005

Okay, fine.  Macrobug is now as cool as I am

psm

I applaud these initiatives, however what is needed is more funding and because that is a political issue, they cannot speak about that.

Yes, good for them for trying to break the stigma, but through their privileged positions both Harry and William had access to the best healthcare. Many in the UK and the world don't. Here in Canada, it is not easy to get a referral to see a therapist, I have friend who has been waiting to see one. It is so frustrating that it is treated like a nonissue health problem when it can be paralyzing for the person and his/her family and friends.

sara8150

Prince William on Diana's death: 'I still feel shock 20 years on. You never get over it'
Prince William on Diana's death: 'I still feel shock 20 years on. You never get over it'

Double post auto-merged: April 19, 2017, 06:03:27 AM

'You never get over it' Prince William still in shock 20 years after Diana's death
Prince William admits he's still in shock 20 years after Diana's death | Royal | News | Express.co.uk

Double post auto-merged: April 19, 2017, 06:08:54 AM

Prince William Shares His Heartbreak on the 'Shock' of Losing His Mom, Princess Diana: 'You Never Get Over It'
Prince William Talks About Princess Diana's Death

Double post auto-merged: April 19, 2017, 08:01:35 AM

'The shock never leaves you': Prince William speaks of the moment he was told his mother had died in emotional conversation with wife who lost her son and husband
Prince William speaks of when he found out Diana had died | Daily Mail Online

Double post auto-merged: April 19, 2017, 04:11:00 PM

Prince William recalls 'shock' of Princess Diana's death: 'You never get over it'
Prince William recalls 'shock' of Princess Diana's death: 'You never get over it'

[mod]Edited to correct title.[/mod]

sara8150

Kate hosts London Marathon runners at Kensington Palace
Kate Middleton meets London Marathon runners

Double post auto-merged: April 19, 2017, 04:20:02 PM

Why Is Princess Kate Putting a Headband on Her Mailbox?
Kate Middleton Hosts Team Heads Together Ahead of London Marathon

Double post auto-merged: April 19, 2017, 04:28:19 PM

Duchess of Cambridge joins London Marathon runners in support of Heads Together campaign
Duchess of Cambridge shows her support for Heads Together campaign | Royal | News | Express.co.uk

Double post auto-merged: April 19, 2017, 04:33:38 PM

Heads Together on Twitter: "#TeamHeadsTogether at Kensington Palace! https://t.co/rWyFSC1qjj"

Double post auto-merged: April 19, 2017, 04:35:04 PM

Chris Jackson on Twitter: "On a lovely spring afternoon in Kensington Palace the Duchess of Cambridge met @LondonMarathon runners from team

Double post auto-merged: April 19, 2017, 04:36:16 PM

Kate's show of support: A dressed-down Duchess of Cambridge hosts a reception for Heads Together Marathon runners at Kensington Palace
Kate hosts a reception for Heads Together Marathon runners | Daily Mail Online