Campaign against royal secrecy

Started by snokitty, November 05, 2014, 08:13:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snokitty

Campaign against royal secrecy | Republic
The monarchy is one of Britain's most secretive public bodies.  It isn't covered by freedom of information laws, while governments of both parties have colluded to allow the royals to operate behind closed doors.

Republic's royal secrecy campaign aims to change this - to get the Freedom of Information Act to include the monarchy, to open up their accounts to proper scrutiny, to reveal the extent of royal lobbying, privilege and influence.

We know that the royals use their secrecy for their own personal advantage, whether that's demanding the use of public money or pushing their own political agenda.

Republic also believes that the secrecy is key to their survival - popular support for the monarchy would rapidly decline if voters knew what was going on behind closed doors.
"Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too"      Voltaire

I can see humor in most things & I would rather laugh than cry.    Snokitty

cate1949

I do not buy this modern monarchy stuff - monarchy is not modern - lots of things in our society that are necessary are not modern but I do think the monarchy needs to embrace some modern principles such as transparency - it would be in their best interest really because I suspect - except where confidential matters of state are involved that are classified - they probably do not have that much to hide

snokitty

"Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too"      Voltaire

I can see humor in most things & I would rather laugh than cry.    Snokitty