King Edward VII and Queen Alexandra and Family Discussion

Started by snokitty, February 21, 2015, 10:26:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amabel2

well I dont suppose Edward wanted to die at that awkward time.

Curryong

Quote from: Amabel2 on March 20, 2023, 03:29:54 PM
well I dont suppose Edward wanted to die at that awkward time.

No, I don?t suppose he did, lol! However, if he had looked after his weight and not smoked cigars to excess he might have rivalled or even passed his mother?s age. He was warned several times by his doctors about both health hazards from his thirties onwards, and if most people wheezed so badly they could scarcely breathe in what was then regarded as old age (their sixties) I think the majority would have made a serious attempt to refrain from smoking. However, we are on the wrong threads to discuss this. I?m always running off on tangents! Sorry mods!

TLLK

No worries @Curryong. This is all fits into the discussion for Edward VII and Alexandra.

Here's a post from Unofficial Royalty aptly titled "Guts and Glory" that discusses Edward's postponed coronation. At least this postponement later led to the coronation being held successfully at a later date. We all know that one Edward's postponed coronation resulted in a very different outcome. Edward V never had his moment in Westminster Abbey.

Guts and Glory: Edward VII?s Appendix and the Coronation that Never Was | Unofficial Royalty

LouisFerdinand

LouisFerdinand

It was not until 1886, when his friend Roseberry became Foreign Secretary that Albert Edward, Prince of Wales received copies of various secret Foreign Office dispatches.

Curryong

Quote from: LouisFerdinand on June 04, 2023, 10:26:03 PM
It was not until 1886, when his friend Roseberry became Foreign Secretary that Albert Edward, Prince of Wales received copies of various secret Foreign Office dispatches.

By that time Victoria?s eyesight was fading and she needed spectacles so I doubt that reading her red boxes was an absolute pleasure for her every day. In the last few years of her life her sight had got so bad that her daughter Beatrice had to read out what had been written, and it?s doubtful that a lot was typed in those days, so much of it it would have been hand-written by clerks.

But really the whole problem through Bertie?s adult life was that, though Victoria loved him she refused to believe that he was serious-minded enough to be trusted with any sort of discreet Govt correspondence. She despaired of his lifestyle which she regarded as totally frivolous and yet didn?t recognise that her want of confidence in his abilities had largely led to it after 1861.

She knew too that Bertie had been a Francophile since boyhood and that he and Willie, the (future) German Emperor didn?t get on at all well, though outwardly they were cordial, so that may have been a worry, as by the last years of her reign Germany was becoming a very serious naval and industrial competitor to Great Britain.

LouisFerdinand

LouisFerdinand

LouisFerdinand

How often do you see Alexandra, Princess of Wales wear an apron?   
Pin on Queen Alexandra

Curryong

That?s a very fancy apron! I have seen a few photos of Princess Alexandra and other royal women wearing aprons when on ?nursery duties though, with their half dressed infants on their laps, presumably after baths. A bit different to floating around wearing apron and long gloves (thorns, not showing bare arms?) while arranging flowers. 

LouisFerdinand

LouisFerdinand

In 1868 Edward and Alexandra made plans to go abroad for several months.   
The Princess was determined to take her three eldest children as far as Copenhagen.   
Queen Victoria was not at all disposed to agree Princess Louise ought to be left behind.   
Alexandra burst into tears. Queen Victoria gave way about Princess Louise   

:hissyfit: :hissyfit: :hissyfit: :hissyfit: :hissyfit: :hissyfit: :hissyfit: :hissyfit: :hissyfit: :hissyfit:

LouisFerdinand

On Christmas Eve, King Edward VII and Queen Alexandra distributed joints of   
beef and other foodstuffs to the laborers, workmen and cottagers on the Sandringham Estate.   
In addition, gifts such as warm garments, toys, and other useful items were sent around to the cottages.

:xmas24: :xmas24: :xmas24: :xmas24: :xmas25: :xmas24: :xmas24: :xmas24: :xmas24:

LouisFerdinand

King Edward VII opened his first Parliament in 1901.   

LouisFerdinand

After Queen Alexandra's Coronation, Her Majesty bowed to her husband King Edward VII.   
http://www.lookandlearn.com/history-images/U192657

LouisFerdinand