The Coronation

Started by LouisFerdinand, September 17, 2022, 10:29:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LouisFerdinand

What will the Coronation of King Charles III look like?     
What Will Charles's Coronation Look Like? - YouTube

LouisFerdinand

In King George V's Coronation procession to Westminster Abbey in 1911, representatives of foreign royal families and governments travelled in fourteen carriages.   
Do you think in King Charles III's Coronation that carriages will be used to transport representatives of foreign royal families and governments?

Blue Clover

I wondered the same thing: what the coronation of Charles III would look like and when it would occur.

Macrobug67

I think it will be much smaller.  I doubt that the public will have the appetite for that much money spent.  It?s a totally different world from 1911, 37 and 53. 

I suspect it will be the cars, pared down ceremony and I doubt we will see the peers with ermine cloaks and cornets. 

It will likely look more like the Spanish and Netherland coronations/proclamations of the last few years. Maybe a little more fancy than the Spanish. 

Blue Clover

I agree that the public is not in the mood for anything opulent, so a smaller-scale event would be the right thing to do now. The world has changed so much since 1953, the last coronation.

LouisFerdinand

For the Coronation of King George V, his children Edward, The Prince of Wales and Princess Mary and Princes Albert, Henry, and George were in the procession to Westminster Abbey and were all in attendance at the Coronation.   
Do you think Prince George, Princess Charlotte, and Prince Louis will attend King Charles III's Coronation?

sara8150

King Charles will crowned about spring or summer 2023 after Queen Elizabeth II?s death but im not sure when date will announced from Buckingham Palace but still mourning since Queen Elizabeth II?s passed away September 8 about May or summertime if weather in UK will be perfect for coronation forecast

You remember when young Queen Elizabeth II had wait crowned in years 1953 because of her grandmother Queen Mary died in march 24,1953 before her coronation June 2,1953

sara8150

Quote from: LouisFerdinand on September 19, 2022, 10:53:42 PM
For the Coronation of King George V, his children Edward, The Prince of Wales and Princess Mary and Princes Albert, Henry, and George were in the procession to Westminster Abbey and were all in attendance at the Coronation.   
Do you think Prince George, Princess Charlotte, and Prince Louis will attend King Charles III's Coronation?

We have wait and see till confirm from Kensington Palace to announced but William and Kate will bring George and Charlotte if Louis turned 5 next year on April not idea bring Louis to coronation

sara8150

Quote from: Blue Clover on September 18, 2022, 11:54:17 PM
I agree that the public is not in the mood for anything opulent, so a smaller-scale event would be the right thing to do now. The world has changed so much since 1953, the last coronation.

You?re right about that

sara8150

Quote from: Macrobug67 on September 18, 2022, 11:41:22 PM
I think it will be much smaller.  I doubt that the public will have the appetite for that much money spent.  It?s a totally different world from 1911, 37 and 53. 

I suspect it will be the cars, pared down ceremony and I doubt we will see the peers with ermine cloaks and cornets. 

It will likely look more like the Spanish and Netherland coronations/proclamations of the last few years. Maybe a little more fancy than the Spanish. 

We have wait till coronation announced if seriously will have big include European royals to attend and also security

TLLK

I believe that George and Charlotte will be there for some parts of it. I'm not sure about Louis.

Curryong

I can certainly see George and Charlotte attending the Coronation and being in the procession. I believe Princess Margaret was nearly seven when she and her sister the late Queen, wore coronets and did just that in 1937. Whether the Wales children stay for the whole ceremony (which even if foreshortened as the next one probably will be) is another matter. Though necessary such lengthy ceremonial is pretty boring for children.

We may see a short appearance by Louis that is similar to Charles in 1953 but IMO by temperament and age he won?t be considered able to be there longer than half an hour at the most.

Curryong

I think we all realised, I know I did, that the Coronation wouldn?t be taking place in the depths of winter (attracting tourism had to be considered.) And it was hardly likely to be held in 2024 but next year for obvious reasons. Apart from that it?s all guesswork by the media at the moment. For it to be held as early as June 2023, with it already nearly October now, the arrangements would have to be pretty far advanced, and perhaps they are. That?s all I?m saying.

Macrobug67

I merged several threads as they were all about the coronation.   The date is speculative at present so please put all coronation articles and discussion here.  Please dont start a bunch of new threads. 

sara8150

Quote from: Macrobug67 on September 21, 2022, 05:19:56 AM
I merged several threads as they were all about the coronation.   The date is speculative at present so please put all coronation articles and discussion here.  Please dont start a bunch of new threads. 

Yes

sara8150

Quote from: Curryong on September 21, 2022, 04:36:49 AM
I think we all realised, I know I did, that the Coronation wouldn?t be taking place in the depths of winter (attracting tourism had to be considered.) And it was hardly likely to be held in 2024 but next year for obvious reasons. Apart from that it?s all guesswork by the media at the moment. For it to be held as early as June 2023, with it already nearly October now, the arrangements would have to be pretty far advanced, and perhaps they are. That?s all I?m saying.

Coronation will crowned June 2023 after Queen Elizabeth II death and late Queen Elizabeth II?s coronation June 2,1953 one years after her dad?s death anniversary

Curryong

Quote from: sara8150 on September 21, 2022, 01:12:56 PM
Coronation will crowned June 2023 after Queen Elizabeth II death and late Queen Elizabeth II?s coronation June 2,1953 one years after her dad?s death anniversary

That?s what some media outlets are speculating certainly, especially the tabloids. We shall see.

TLLK

Quote from: sara8150 on September 21, 2022, 01:12:56 PM

While I believe that might be possible, we'll have to wait until there's official confirmation from the Palace and the British Government.

LouisFerdinand

Here is a Coronation Souvenir Book 1937:   
http://cdn0.rubylane.com/shops/robbinsroost/1968.4L.jpg?1953     
Will there be Coronation Souvenir Books for King Charles III's Coronation?

sara8150

QuoteCharles could opt for 2 June ? which would also mark the 70th anniversary of the Queen's coronation.

Britain has not celebrated a coronation for 69 years. When King George VI passed away on 6 February, 1952, his daughter's coronation at Westminster Abbey was not held for another 17 months, on 2 June, 1953.

The ceremony will be held at the Abbey ? as it has for the past 1,000 years. Every sovereign since William the Conqueror in 1066 has had their coronation at the historic venue.

During the ceremony, Charles will take the coronation oath where he will be anointed with oils and be given the orb and sceptre.

He will then receive St Edward's Crown, which was made in 1661 and once belonged to Edward the Confessor. It is remarkably heavy, made of solid gold, and currently resides in the Crown Jewels collection at the Tower of London. The Archbishop of Canterbury will be given the honour of placing the crown on the King's head.
King Charles III to pick this VERY poignant date for his coronation? | HELLO!
Wait confirmed from Buckingham Palace and UK British government to announced but King Charles says will June 2

Curryong

Quote from: LouisFerdinand on September 21, 2022, 10:41:59 PM
Here is a Coronation Souvenir Book 1937:   
http://cdn0.rubylane.com/shops/robbinsroost/1968.4L.jpg?1953     
Will there be Coronation Souvenir Books for King Charles III's Coronation?

There will be all sorts of memorabilia produced for the Coronation, I?m sure, including books. When I was a child I remember my grandmother had a book of the Coronation of King George VI, heavy, with a gold cover. It contained the story of the run up to the Coronation as well, with the Abdication crisis and photos of Edward VIII and Mrs Simpson. I loved looking at it when I was younger.

TLLK

@Curryong-What a treasured family memento to have enjoyed over the decades.

Curryong

Quote from: TLLK on September 22, 2022, 02:15:51 AM
@Curryong-What a treasured family memento to have enjoyed over the decades.

Yes, it was lovely. I can see myself now looking through it as a child, in Grandma?s bedroom. When she died I was only a teenager. Her house was lived in by other relatives at the time and my uncle got it. I was in Australia then when he died. He had no children and I don?t know what happened to it after that. Shame!

LouisFerdinand

The Gold State Coach has been used at the coronation of every monarch since George IV.     
The gold state coach