Camilla as Consort Discussion

Started by Curryong, August 14, 2018, 01:54:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Curryong

A thread to discuss Camilla's current and future role as consort to the heir and the future monarch.

Charles and Camilla's PR exercises for 2018 seem to be in full swing! Including for Camilla as Queen.
Apparently Charles Anson, former Royal Press Sec, has been roped in to join in the admiring circle.

Royal expert reveals why Prince Charles and Camilla are perfect match | Daily Mail Online

And the public relations expert who advised the Queen for more than six years before leaving to take up a role with Burger King in 1996, insisted that the Duchess will be known as Queen Consort when Charles, 69, eventually takes the throne. 

'I think she'll be a great consort as queen,' he said.

An interview with a former PR man to HM, talk about lucky timing for him to leave in 96, would have had his hands full the next year!  The body of the article about what Cam the AllKnowing does for Charles, etc. How was Charles expecting a young girl to provide those attributes for him, whoever she was?

Much has been made of Diana's supposed mental state, etc. and incompatibility for the marriage failure, but to me it clearly shows that Charles was going to scotch any matrimonial deal he was likely to have made during those years.

Most girls that age(and boys) are still finding themselves so the amount of resources to baby a man in his 30s would be limited at best. This and im sure the interviewed subject didnt intend this, but it exposes both a huge failure in the RF (including the Queen neglecting to express an opinion as to whether her son should marry Diana or not) and Charles's large dereliction of duty and loyalty to his family and the crown.

Aside from thoughts on how appropriate Mountbatten's teachings on who to marry and how to comport oneself, (circa 1920) clearly Charles threw what he taught away, he got the highlights in marrying a young girl, but Id be willing to bet Mountbatten thought he'd have enough internal resources to not have to rely on a woman to soothe him every time he got agitated. Maybe Mountbatten should have talked to Prince Philip more. It's one of the few times his assessment of Charles was accurate.

The whole purpose of the intended marriage was to produce an heir and have a wife that would be free of scandals prior to marriage, which Diana did admirably. It wasnt her intended job to be his mother and therapist, it wasnt ment to be a cosy, lovey dovey thing on the RF's part, more a working marriage, and Charles blew all that up, and we know the reason why!

Charles should have put on his big boy pants on in 1981 and put himself aside for once, if he was capable of it which I doubt. How about soothing and protecting his new wife instead. Had he done this, he would have probably  felt better, and he could have taken more pride in her popularity as he could in supporting and directing her in her royal life. Instead he took the selfish route, which the Rf taught him to do with QM and Mountbatten, and the Quern has consistently put her head in the sand over it all through the years.

As far as the whole Queen Consort thing, I'd hope it would be a big outcry, but I do worry that time has taken the outrage out of people to a large extent. I do hope people email CH and remind them of the CH website re: the intention for her to be Princess consort. That declaration was there for years. If they are right about her being called PssoW being beyond the pale, it should also be the same for Queen Consort as well, that would be the ultimate stealing of Dianas legacy and all she went through in serving her country as Prss of Wales and marrying him!

I am upset over the whole thing in the way they described what Camilla  does for him and how she's going to be this Golden Consort. Why go through the farce of pretending she's just going to be Princess Consort then, if that's what he intended all along (when the right moment came along.) Charles lied to everyone, in other words.

He clearly had no intention of keeping faith with his subjects from the beginning, and intends to have Cam as Queen Consort by his side. No one Charles married would have made it in his eyes, not just Diana. Charles should have asked APB to divorce camilla and marry her back then and reaped the whirlwind, (even if it meant exile)  if he was going to have her non-negotiable....But no, Charles wanted it all! As usual!

Trudie

The toadying is starting to get into full gear. Charles is in for a rude awakening if he makes Camilla Queen not because she is not fit for the title but people do not take kindly to being outright deceived and lied to.

TLLK

Ah the summer pot stirring is in full swing. Tabloids know that this is will bring in plenty of clicks and they of course have chosen the weeks leading up to the anniversary of Diana's death.  <_<

Double post auto-merged: August 15, 2018, 02:36:34 PM

Here are Dickie Arbiter's reasons on why he believes that Camilla will be a great consort when Charles' reign begins.

Queen?s former spokesman says the Duchess of Cornwall will be a wonderful Queen Consort ? Royal Central

Double post auto-merged: August 15, 2018, 02:38:55 PM

QuoteArbiter said: ?Camilla has supported her husband, Prince Charles, since their marriage in April 2005 and doing a good job of it ever since. She?s a no-nonsense lady and believes that there are things you can change and there are things you can?t and those you can?t don?t waste time trying. As an army wife in her first marriage she became used to dealing with people and their problems. This has helped her enormously in her charitable work and supporting them.?

He went on to compliment the Duchess of Cornwall?s interactions with the general public, a daily part of the royals? lives as they undertake engagements at home and abroad.

?She?s inquisitive so she?ll ask probing questions?She?s interested so she?ll listen and won?t look over shoulders to see if there?s someone more important and interesting, and she?ll talk because she likes meeting people which makes her a good communicator, at ease talking to people from all walks of life whether a head of state or just chatting on walkabouts. She also has a good sense of fun and humour.?

Basically a repeat of her positive qualities that I've read about in the past. Both the late Diana, Princess of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall had/have a gift when it comes to interacting with the public IMHO.

LouisFerdinand

@Curryong, An informative write-up! I just want to point out that Camilla would be a Queen Consort and not a Queen Regnant like her mother-in-law.

Curryong

Quote from: LouisFerdinand on August 16, 2018, 12:58:50 AM
@Curryong, An informative write-up! I just want to point out that Camilla would be a Queen Consort and not a Queen Regnant like her mother-in-law.

Well, I think everybody knows Camilla won't be Queen Regnant. I referred to her as (possibly) being a Queen Consort in my post.

However, when a King is on the throne and his consort is spoken of, people don't say 'Queen Consort Elizabeth' or 'Queen Consort Mary'. They are simply called Queen Mary, Queen Alexandra, Queen Elizabeth' etc. It's taken for granted, or should be, that the wife is a consort when a King is on the throne, of Great Britain or any other European monarchy. The last female in Britain to co-monarch with her husband, William of Orange, was Mary in the 17th century.

wannable

Has Camilla finally become the People's Duchess? How Prince Charles's 'warm, fun and friendly' mistress has won over the crowds 20 years after being presented to a hostile public
It has taken nearly 20 years for the public to warm to the Duchess of Cornwall
Queen once said she would never be in the same room as Charles' second wife
Even today some people believe that the Duchess should not be crowned Queen
But others have said she has 'learned the game' and is 'fun and friendly' 

Has Camilla finally become the People?s Duchess? How the Duchess has won over the crowds | Daily Mail Online

TLLK

sandy

I disagree. Charles PR "says" she is winning over the public. No definitive proof. Charles gets too heavy handed particularly cooperating with Junor's "St. Camilla" book published in 2017. This sort of thing has gone on for years. Camilla does the minimum of work she is required to do.

amabel

I think she has taken up some excellent causes and is enthusiastic about them, though I don't think that royal work is something she really wanted to do.  She promotes literacy, and seems to love reading.. She supports women who have been the vitcims of sexual abuse and cruelty.. all very good causes

sandy

She has to do this work as a senior royal and only began training for charity appearances in 1997.

I don't see her as an ideal for supporting women.

And she had no choice but to take up patronages. She has low number still.

Somehow I have the feeling that she will step back somewhat  from royal work at some point since she appears to have limitations re: tours and has left them early.

amabel

Im sure the women who benefit from her work would disagree....

sandy

She visits these places, the thoughts the women have about her are not known. The women get help from professionals not from a few minutes appearance of a royal. She does not have magic powers. And Camilla was not kind and gentle to Diana.

TLLK

^^^Actually we do know something about their feelings based upon their behavior at these events. It would have been announced previously that Camilla would be attending the event, meeting etc.. The women in the domestic violence and sexual abuse groups that she's visited could have chosen to stay away if they wanted to do so. Instead they chose to attend.  :)

We can't read their thoughts, but we do know that they were interested enough to attend the events in which Camilla was known to be in attendance.

sandy

It's not known if all of them showed up.

TLLK

Not it is not, but a good number did show up which clearly demonstrates that they wanted to be present even if the "ghastly, "odious," "despicable" Camilla was to be present. AFAIK there has not been a report of bread rolls being thrown at one of these events and considering that this is Britain, there would be CCTV coverage in the UK.

Absolutely agree that Camilla or any other royal does not have "magic powers." However they do bring much needed attention to various causes. :happy:

wannable

Nobody booing  :ahhh:

The Royal Reporters seem to enjoy and give the feedback of her interactions with the people of the duty, all seems good so far.

sandy

Quote from: TLLK on January 29, 2019, 12:25:21 AM
Not it is not, but a good number did show up which clearly demonstrates that they wanted to be present even if the "ghastly, "odious," "despicable" Camilla was to be present. AFAIK there has not been a report of bread rolls being thrown at one of these events and considering that this is Britain, there would be CCTV coverage in the UK.

Absolutely agree that Camilla or any other royal does not have "magic powers." However they do bring much needed attention to various causes. :happy:

People can be polite but still not like her. Nobody said bread rolls would be thrown. ANd some may have stayed home if they knew she was showing up.

She is required to do these appearances. And she still does the minimum.

TLLK

^^^And likewise people can be polite and believe that she's doing a very good job in her role as the future consort to the monarch. The seniors at the Jewish center appeared to really enjoy her company last week.  :happy:

Based upon the numbers that I've seen for both of Charles' wives, they appear to be doing about the same number of engagements over  the years.  :) However some years are busier due to tours and jubilee events.

amabel

I think that this sort of work isn't really her thing but she does a decent job. 

royalanthropologist

People's Duchess? What a load of nonsense. Christopher Wilson is a spiteful hack, nothing more nothing less. Camilla does not and has never needed to be a "people's duchess". She is the wife of the prince of wales and undertakes her work with a minimum of fuss to support her husband and the queen. 

Despite all her critics (they are many and quite persistent) Camilla does her work well. A good selection of charities without becoming the story or trying to overshadow other members of the firm. The court circular does not lie. Camilla is doing well. Certainly her husband seems to be a much happier man since her married her and the monarchy is no longer dripping gossip about the state of the POW's marriage. That can only be a good thing.
"In the past, people were born royal. Nowadays, royalty comes from what you do"...Gianni Versace

amabel

I think she' would never have had the glamour and charm of Diana and she's not young and pretty, like Kate - or Meghan.  But Neehter of them is a Diana either.  She undertakes a reasonable number of charities, and seems to be well liked by the people she works with and liked by most of the public who meet her...
I do adimre her for the literacy work, as I was surprised to find that Cam loves reading.  It wasn't quite how I thought of her, as a reader but seems to be a genuine love on her part...

amabel

well I can't imagine why she would pick that particular patronage unless she had an interest in it.. It is not that glamourous or high profile...  So Im thinking she does like reading and is willing oto encourage people to read.
What readng has to do with Diana's marriage, I am puzzled to work out.

amabel

I think she has plenty of hobbies, she likes country life, horses, sports....and it appears she likes to read as well...

royalanthropologist

I very much doubt Camilla is the kind to be lonely, bored or particularly depressed. She strikes me as someone with plenty of interests and a rather contented lifestyle.
"In the past, people were born royal. Nowadays, royalty comes from what you do"...Gianni Versace

royalanthropologist

I always believe that the best way to live is to be happy and contended. If you spend your life worrying about what you don't have, it can become a very miserable experience. You start catching on and the people around you slowly but slowly detach from you. Nobody likes to be near misery. The fact that Camilla has an easy disposition and is apparently very happy with her lot has to be one of the reasons that her relationship with Charles works.

As for the "people's Duchess" nonsense, I do wish the likes of Christopher Wilson did some real reporting instead of presenting these passive aggressive snide articles that have nothing new to say. Camilla danced with some pensioners at an event, everybody that really mattered to that event was there and they seemed happy. It does not mean that Camilla is putting out an application to be a "people's Duchess".