Giving up the title HRH

Started by LouisFerdinand, October 14, 2019, 11:45:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amabel

Quote from: TLLK on January 05, 2020, 02:42:25 PM
As I understand it, when a hereditary titled couple divorce, the protocol/tradition dictates that the spouse loses the style/title that they obtained upon being married. QEII chose to follow the tradition with her sister and daughters-in-law.

By the time that the Wales divorced, Princess Margaret and Earl Snowdon were divorced and she was no longer considered "The Countess Snowdon."
Snowdon's new wife was THE Countess of Snowdon but Marg could stll call herself Margaret Countess of Snowdon.. but as a Princess she had a higher title.. and I don't think sh wanted any reminders of her marriage.  Diana was Diana princess of Wales but she lost the HRH...Fergie was Sarah Duchess of York but again lost the HRH.

Double post auto-merged: January 05, 2020, 05:50:18 PM

Quote from: TLLK on January 05, 2020, 02:42:25 PM
As I understand it, when a hereditary titled couple divorce, the protocol/tradition dictates that the spouse loses the style/title that they obtained upon being married. Not surprisingly QEII chose to follow the tradition with her sister and daughters-in-law then.

By the time that the Wales divorced, both the Snowdons and the Yorks were divorced. Princess Margaret was no longer "The Countess of Snowdon" and likewise Sarah was no longer considered to be " HRH The Duchess of York."

Now since then, their European counterparts have either kept to the tradition or made a slight alteration to it. When Denmark's Joachim and Alexandra divorced, she went through a gradual step down in style and title. IMO Denmark's Margrethe knew that what had happened to Diana in the UK was unpopular at the time so she slowly phased out Alexandra's style/title  based upon her post divorce marital status. She went from HRH Princess Alexandra to HH Princess Alexandra and ultimately HE The Countess of Frederiksburg upon her remarriage.

Now I seriously doubt that Diana's grandchildren are going to care about a style/title that she once held in relation to any feelings they'll have  for her. When they're older they'll be able to understand that there were issues in the Wales' marriage that led to their divorce and read about everyone's behavior during that time.
I think that now, some people in Denmark are a bit peeved that Alexandra has a title and an income, now that she has had a second divorce.  I don't know if Q Marg was likely to have been influenced by what had happened with Diana...who wuodl have gone to Lady Diana whatever if she had remarried.  But honestly are the grandchildren really going to care if their grandmother was Lady Diana or Di Princess of wales or HRH?  They will only know her through their parents and the boys will see her as their mother, not as a Princess...

sandy

DIana may well have kept her Princess title. I would not have ruled it out. I don't think she would have reverted to Lady Diana since she would be the mother of the future King.

TLLK

QuoteI think that now, some people in Denmark are a bit peeved that Alexandra has a title and an income, now that she has had a second divorce.  I don't know if Q Marg was likely to have been influenced by what had happened with Diana...who wuodl have gone to Lady Diana whatever if she had remarried.  But honestly are the grandchildren really going to care if their grandmother was Lady Diana or Di Princess of wales or HRH?  They will only know her through their parents and the boys will see her as their mother, not as a Princess...

Alexandra will be giving up her income from the state with Felix turns 18 this year so that will be coming to an end.

QuoteDIana may well have kept her Princess title

Yes she'd be known as Diana, Princess of Wales because she was the former spouse of the Princess of Wales.

Those women married to the PoW are known by the  royal style/title as HRH The Princess of Wales :Jen:. Since Camilla has opted not to use the Princess of Wales title, most likely then next one to use it will be Catherine who is currently known as HRH the Duchess of Cambridge. 

amabel

But she had lost the HRH..and if she remarried she would go by her husbands surname and title.  So odds are if she remarried she wuld have been Lady Diana Surname...
True Kate is probably the next HRH THe Princess of Wales...

sandy

It would depend. The royals can change "tradition" at the stroke of a pen. As history as proven. Diana may have had the Princess title had she remarried when William was king, all hypothetical.

Camilla is the Princess of Wales now but uses Style Duchess of Cornwall. She has a long list of titles, when she married Charles she had the option to use all of them.

TLLK

Quote from: amabel on January 07, 2020, 09:00:45 PM
But she had lost the HRH..and if she remarried she would go by her husbands surname and title.  So odds are if she remarried she wuld have been Lady Diana Surname...
True Kate is probably the next HRH THe Princess of Wales...
I agree that had Diana remarried that she'd have returned to the title that she had prior to marrying Charles and would likely be known as Lady Diana (surname).