Battenberg/Battenburg Cake

Started by LouisFerdinand, November 02, 2015, 12:36:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LouisFerdinand

Battenberg/Battenburg Cake was named in honor of the marriage of Queen Victoria's granddaughter, Princess Victoria of Hesse-Darmstadt to Prince Louis of Battenberg in 1884.       
A two colored chequered sponge cake with four quarters of sponge honored the four Battenberg princes, Louis, Alexander, Henry, and Francis.   
  :bdaycake: :bdaycake: :bdaycake: :bdaycake: :bdaycake: :bdaycake:

Curryong

^ I don't know why the four quarters of sponge would honour four very obscure princes who were scarcely known in Britain in 1884, though Henry (Liko) was to marry Princess Beatrice. Alexander had been elected King of Bulgaria but was more or less hassled from that throne as the Kaiser didn't want him there. He was loved to distraction by Victoria, one of the Kaiser's younger sisters, but he was never really into her.

Food History Jottings: Battenburg Cake - the Truth

LouisFerdinand

The information about the earliest recipes of Battenburg/Battenberg Cake had nine squares and not four squares is appreciated.     
There were four Battenburg princes, not nine.

Curryong

Quote from: LouisFerdinand on November 02, 2015, 11:34:31 PM
The information about the earliest recipes of Battenburg/Battenberg Cake had nine squares and not four squares is appreciated.     
There were four Battenburg princes, not nine.

^ I think there were regional cakes, known as 'pane cakes' that were made in the north of England earlier than the Victoria Hesse/ Battenburg marriage. The squares really do resemble window panes and I believe that's the origin of it. That generation of Battenburg brothers came from a very large family but it's true that only the four brothers mentioned were prominent in any way.