A uniform promotion for Edward

Started by Wombat, November 08, 2007, 06:05:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wombat

Richard Kay....A uniform promotion for Edward
QuoteFOR most of his adult life, he has watched from a nearby balcony as his parents, uncles, brothers and sister have taken key roles in one of the most poignant ceremonies of the royal calendar. But for Prince Edward the laying of wreaths in Whitehall on Remembrance Sunday has served as an uncomfortable reminder of his own shortcomings as a military man, thanks to that youthful decision to abandon the Royal Marines. Now, I can reveal, that for the first time the Earl of Wessex is to don uniform and join the rest of the Royal Family in laying a wreath at the Cenotaph this Sunday. He will be dressed as a royal honorary colonel of the Royal Wessex Yeomanry. By at last gaining promotion from the Foreign Office balcony — whence he has previously watched the ceremony with more junior members of the Royal Family — the 43-year-old Prince will be hoping to set to rest one of the least distinguished episodes of his adult life. It is more than 20 years since Edward shocked his family and other traditionalists by resigning his Royal Marines commission just ten weeks into a 35-week training course. So distraught was his sister Princess Anne that, when she heard the news on her car radio, she almost crashed. Edward's father Prince Philip, Captain General of the Marines, was sympathetic, but his former colleagues were less impressed. At that year's Royal Tournament, 100 members of Yankee Company 45 Commando wore T-shirts which bore on the front the message 'You can turn a frog into a Prince' — and on the back — 'But you can't turn a Prince into a Marine.' A Buckingham Palace spokeswoman confirmed Edward's role at the weekend, adding: 'He did lay a wreath in the North of England last year and he also participated in a wreath laying on the Falklands.' Edward will not be the only novice at the Cenotaph. As I revealed, Prince William will also be participating in the ceremony for the first time, as will Gordon Brown.Sadly Edward's debut will be missed by his wife Sophie, 42, who is expecting their second baby next month.

Lila the Flirt

Flirt's the name, flirtin's my game :lila:

heather

Edward should not wear a uniform, it is quite ludicrous and in very poor taste to those who gave the ultimate sacrifice for their King and country.... including members of my own family.

I like Edward, but this is going too far IMO.

Diedera

I agree.  He did not earn the uniform.  This is the type of thing that gives the general people a good and honest reason to raise their eyebrows at the RF.   :brainwashed:
:snowflake: