The death of Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Started by Curryong, December 26, 2021, 09:23:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Curryong

A thread dedicated to the death of South African Archbisop Desmond Tutu. Continue all discussion here. This thread will remain open and stickied until after the funeral. Afterwards it will be merged into the British Monarchy and the Commonwealth thread. 

Meghan and Harry?s official tribute today to Archbishop Tutu, whom they, and Archie, met in South Africa while on tour.

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Honor Human Rights Icon Desmond Tutu

RIP Archbishop. You were a role model for people everywhere.

wannable

Remained friends...how bad is the reputation that they have to write Remained.

Once one 👀 it, it's hard not too un-see it.

TudorQueen

Quote from: wannable on December 26, 2021, 10:18:59 PM
Remained friends...how bad is the reputation that they have to write Remained.

Once one 👀 it, it's hard not too un-see it.

No need to unsee anything. The statement has nothing to do with reputation.

Its a pretty common phrase, just means they maintained a relationship with him since meeting him. They are simply voicing their respect.

Royals don't form bonds with everyone they meet.

RIP To Desmund Tutu. He was incredibly inspirational to people all over the world.

wannable

Those that have written a statement is entirely about him. I'm not alone in pointing out, the me me contrast with the him him achievements.

I wonder if they are expecting a formal invitation to the funeral?! Surely the Queen will be represented at whatever preparations in South Africa.

Princess Cassandra

A truly good man who deserves the tributes and whose gentle but solid guidance will be missed going forward. I love those photo's with baby Archie - in them you can actually see his personality and the love from his parents. It is also fun to see how much he looked like Harry at that age. And "The Arch" was clearly enjoying his visit with Archie.

TLLK

Tributes to the late Desmond Tutu from royals around the globe continue to be sent.

Royal condolences pour in for Archbishop Desmond Tutu ? Royal Central

QuoteAnti-apartheid and human rights activist Desmond Tutu has died of cancer at the age of 90, it was announced earlier today. He was the Bishop of Johannesburg from 1985 to 1986 and then the Archbishop of Cape Town from 1986 to 1996.

The Dutch King and Queen and Princess Beatrix were one of the first to pay tribute to him. A message posted to social media stated, ?We cherish our memories of Archbishop Desmond Tutu, and of the invincible good cheer with which he pursued his struggle for justice and peace. He gave a voice to hope. His winning personality and distinctive laugh were a powerful force in winning people over, and helped many find the path to reconciliation.?

Her Majesty The Queen released a statement which said, ?I am joined by the whole Royal Family in being deeply saddened by the news of the death of Archbishop Desmond Tutu, a man who tirelessly championed human rights in South Africa and across the world. I remember with fondness my meetings with him and his great warmth and humour. Archbishop Tutu?s loss will be felt by the people of South Africa, and by so many people in Great Britain, Northern Ireland and across the Commonwealth, where he was held in such high affection and esteem.?

The King of Norway wrote, ?It is with sorrow that we have received the message that Archbishop Desmond Mpilo Tutu has passed away. He was an important figure in the fight against apartheid in South Africa. Our thoughts go to the South African people who have lost an important voice for justice, and to those closest to them who have lost a husband, father and grandfather.?

From the NL's Princess Mabel who had a long association with him. Girls Not Brides mourns the passing of its co-founder and global champion Archbishop Desmond Tutu - Girls Not Brides

QuoteI am heartbroken by the death of my dear friend Archbishop Desmond Tutu. I got to know him, and I had the honour and pleasure of working with him when he was Chair of The Elders and I was their first CEO.

Arch was always willing to stand up for those who were unheard. I remember the day he learned that two out of every five girls in sub-Saharan Africa are married before the age of 18. He was shocked that such abuse was taking place on his continent, and realised it was because these girls had no say in their lives, no voice.

Arch immediately pledged to bring the same determination to ending child marriage that he brought to fighting apartheid. His dedication was crucial in the creation of Girls Not Brides: The Global Partnership to End Child Marriage.

Arch was a committed advocate for gender equality and he did so with his wonderful mixture of profound faith and good humour: ?God isn?t stupid,? he said, ?He created Eve because Adam couldn?t make it on his own.?

He rejected religious restrictions on women and publicly argued that girls need better access to sexual health services so that they can avoid early pregnancy and reach their full potential. He highlighted the benefits for entire communities when girls are educated, and not married.

I watched in awe as Arch charmed every individual, community and world leader we visited in our efforts to advocate for girls. His humility, sense of humour and compassion allowed us to build a truly global network of amazing individuals and organisations working to end child marriage.

From the GD and GDss of Luxembourg. https://mobile.twitter.com/CourGrandDucale/status/1475189102840586241

wannable

Archbishop Desmond Tutu will be laid to rest on Saturday with a funeral at the St George's Cathedral in Cape Town. His body will lie in state at the cathedral on Friday.

The guest will be confirmed, South African media speak heavily about the first 2 who is who:

Dalai Lama
Archbishop of Canterbury Justin Welby

Informer is Thabo Cecil Makgoba, South African Anglican archbishop of Cape Town. They are working hard to have 31st/12 lie in state, 01/01/2022 Funeral. The list of confirmed guest will be released Wed.

TLLK

I hope that those  royals who have had long associations with the late Archbishop will be able to attend ie: Princess Mabel.

wannable

The dates are quite difficult.  A workaholic like Charles will probably be there.

TLLK

The state funeral of Archbishop Desmond Tutu was held on Saturday and as far as I can tell did not have any royal guests present. I would be inclined to believe that there might be a larger memorial service planned for the future though.

South Africa's anti-apartheid hero Archbishop Desmond Tutu praised at state funeral

QuoteThe state funeral for Archbishop Desmond Tutu, a hero of the struggle against apartheid in South Africa, began on Saturday in St George's Cathedral, Cape Town, where for years he preached against racial injustice.