The King and Queen Official Engagements, CC entries Part 3 December 28, 2023 to

Started by TLLK, December 28, 2023, 09:34:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TLLK

Welcome to Part 3 of the King and Queen's Official Engagements,
Cout Circular Entries thread.

wannable

Congratulations to all those awarded in the 2024 New Year Honours list. View the full list here:

Page N1 | Supplement 64269, 30 December 2023 | London Gazette | The Gazette

#NYHonours #NewYearHonours #KingsHonours

The list is quite lengthy
It will be distributed between Charles William and Anne

wannable

The 2024 Commonwealth New Year Honours have also been announced in The Gazette.

View the following Commonwealth New Year Honours lists:

Bahamas
Grenada
Papua New Guinea
Solomon Islands
Antigua and Barbuda

Commonwealth New Year Honours 2024 | The Gazette

Curryong

I?m sure that the people of Granada and the Solomons etc are dancing in the streets with excitement, ha ha! I can predict what happens in these places as happens in Aus when our Honours lists are printed. We are a Commonwealth realm, and a big one.

It?s on the news for a couple of minutes, most people don?t read physical newspapers any more but those that do will read the names. If there?s a well known writer, artist or movie or TV star on the list there?s a flicker of interest at the time. Then it?s back to normal. There?s certainly no excitement anywhere about it, except perhaps among participants like State politicians, community leaders and those who know them personally. And that?s it.

PrincessOfPeace

The King presented The Queen Elizabeth Prize for Academic Excellence at Springwood High School, King's Lynn, to Simona Pilmane, Fatima Massawi and Zara Bek (the last of whom was unable to attend), who were introduced into His Majesty's presence by Mr Andrew Johnson, the Headmaster.

Mrs Jane Gardener (Headteacher of Sandringham and West Newton Church of England Primary Academy and Flitcham Church of England Primary Academy) was received by The King when His Majesty presented Bibles to Finlay Herbert and Zaid Shaikh for proficiency in Religious Instruction.

His Majesty presented The King's Gold Medal for Academic Excellence at King Edward VII Academy, King's Lynn, to Alina Ahsan and Thomas Lawlor (the latter of whom was unable to attend), who was introduced into His Majesty's presence by Ms Barbara Backham, the Vice Principal.

- Court Circular || 7 January 2024

PrincessOfPeace

Portrait of The King released for use in public buildings, shows him in Windsor Castle's Grand Corridor, wearing Admiral of the Fleet's uniform, with insignia from Orders of the Garter, Thistle, Bath, Merit & sash of Royal Victorian Order:

https://x.com/AlastairBruce_/status/1747027838148956589?s=20

Curryong

New portrait of King in naval uniform will hang in schools ?to strengthen civic pride?

Yes, and according to this article it is part of an 8 million pounds campaign to ?encourage civic pride?. That portrait will sure capture the imagination of schoolchildren and indeed everyone under 30, NOT! I remember some of these portraits hanging in public buildings in my own childhood.

However we aren?t living in 1953 any more. This is a complete and useless waste of money iMO, meant by conservative operatives of this Tory Govt to bolster up the image of a man whose latest YouGov poll numbers are nothing short of disastrous for a reigning monarch. How many genuine enterprises are going up in smoke while this rollout is occurring? And the comments below this article from ordinary British citizens are absolutely priceless!

Nightowl

Why believe any article that states how much money is being spent before it is spent?  And why is it such a drama issue to change any picture of a king or queen, why dislike any country that does that?  Some people follow traditions because that is how they accept change in life and some fuss and yell and screamover changes that they feel are not needed?  Why so much negativity over what King Charles does or doesn't do.......he can't please all the people now can he?

Curryong

Quote from: Nightowl on January 16, 2024, 06:10:27 AM
Why believe any article that states how much money is being spent before it is spent?  And why is it such a drama issue to change any picture of a king or queen, why dislike any country that does that?  Some people follow traditions because that is how they accept change in life and some fuss and yell and screamover changes that they feel are not needed?  Why so much negativity over what King Charles does or doesn't do.......he can't please all the people now can he?

Who said it was a drama of any sort? Just a waste of money!

And Well, according to the latest YouGov polls Charles hasn?t exactly ?pleased? many Britons of under 40 years old, no. The 8 million pounds is there, as I pointed out, to encourage civic pride according to the announcement. I believe that the portion used to transport this portrait to educational institutions and other public buildings in the UK could have been spent on other things.

And the portrait will be transported to those institutions that want such a portrait and not to those who don?t. It will be interesting to say the least to see what proportion of which organisations decide to take up the offer, and whether such information will be available to the media.

It?s been interesting and enlightening during my lifetime to see how such symbols have been dissolving over seventy years. As a child and a very young teen there was hardly a school, University, city hospital, council building, magistrate?s court etc that did not possess a portrait of the King, then the Queen, prominently displayed in all their finery.

When I went back to GB in the 1980s and 1990s they were slowly but surely disappearing from many public places. Same with Aus, in 1970 when I migrated such portraits of the Queen were quite prolific. Then they became not so  prominent.

In the last twenty years they have slowly but surely disappeared from view. The last portrait I saw in any prominent building here in Victoria was at a ceremony at Victoria?s Government House about four years ago, in the reception room. Our council doesn?t have one displayed, the universities my children and grandchildren attended didnt and don?t, and it would be very surprising to find very many British universities still have such portraits. They didn?t in the late 1960s when I attended University to get a further degree. And I don?t think that position is going to change, somehow.

PrincessOfPeace

The Queen, Patron, SafeLives, this morning opened the Safe Space at Aberdeen Art Gallery, Schoolhill, Aberdeen, and was received by His Majesty's Lord-Lieutenant of the City of Aberdeen (Councillor David Cameron, the Lord Provost).

- Court Circular || 18 January 2024

sara8150

King Charles missed events and duties due his upcoming prostate cancer surgery next week
18-19th January:  Meetings and events at Dumfries House with foreign dignitaries and Cabinet members

25th January: Burns Night

27th January: Holocaust Memorial Day

PrincessOfPeace

The Queen this morning visited Swindon Domestic Abuse Support Service, Swindon, to mark its Fiftieth Anniversary, officially named the charity's refuge, "Jenni's House", and was received by His Majesty's Lord-Lieutenant of Wiltshire (Mrs Peter Troughton).

Her Majesty today visited Deacon and Son (Swindon) Limited, 11-15 Wood Street, Old Town, Swindon, to mark its One Hundred and Seventy Fifth Anniversary of trading.

- Court Circular || 22 January 2024

PrincessOfPeace

The Queen this morning visited Refuge's Gaia Centre in Lambeth, London, and was received by Mrs Lynn Cooper (Deputy Lieutenant of Greater London).

- Court Circular || 23 January 2024

PrincessOfPeace

Dame Veronica Anne (Polly) Courtice (Emeritus Director and Senior Ambassador, University of Cambridge Institute for Sustainability Leadership) and Professor Robert Miller (Director, the Whittle Laboratory) were received by The King this morning.

- Court Circular || 25 January 2024

PrincessOfPeace

PrincessOfPeace

The Queen this morning attended a Reception at Windsor Castle for contributors to the new Miniature Library Collection displayed alongside Queen Mary's Dolls' House to mark the Dolls' House's Centenary.

- Court Circular || 30 January 2024

TLLK

This was such a delightful engagement.  The Doll House is celebrating its 100th anniversary and it is wonderful to see the new handwritten books in the collection.

PrincessOfPeace

The Queen, President, the Maggie Keswick Jencks Cancer Caring Centres Trust, this morning opened Maggie's Centre at the Royal Free Hospital, Pond Street, London NW3, and was received by Colonel Jane Davis (Vice Lord-Lieutenant of Greater London).

- Court Circular || 31 January 2023

PrincessOfPeace

Queen Camilla attended the celebrations of the 850th anniversary of the St John's Foundation in Bath today:

Bilder und Fotos - Getty Images

PrincessOfPeace

The Queen, Patron, St John's Foundation, this morning visited the Almshouses, Chapel of St Michael's Within, 4-5 Chapel Court, Bath, and was received by His Majesty's Lord-Lieutenant of Somerset (Mr Mohammed Saddiq).

Her Majesty, Patron, afterwards attended a Service of Celebration in Bath Abbey to mark the Eight Hundred and Fiftieth Anniversary of St John's Foundation.

- Court Circular || 1 February 2024

TLLK

Incredible to think that this  organization is nearly 900 years  old and still assisting people in need.