Withering verdict of LORD BELL, Lady Thatcher’s favourite ad man

Started by Limabeany, October 01, 2014, 08:57:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandy

That's your take on it. Not surprised.

I think this man name dropping the dead Diana (and trashing her to try to score points) is the lowest of the low. A cranky old man who probably yells at children playing in his neighborhood.

And yet Diana is slammed.

cinrit

It's just his opinion of her.  No one is going to dislike Diana based on someone else's opinion.

Cindy
Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

Eri

^ Exactly !!! Whoever likes Di will like her , whoever doesn't won't what this man says makes 0 difference ...

PaulaB

Quote from: Canuck on October 01, 2014, 12:39:31 PM
Very interesting, he certainly wasn't a fan:

QuoteThe four of us waited downstairs for Diana's car to arrive. Then she made her entrance from above, in big heels and a short skirt. The gentlemen tried to be polite and not look upwards as she tottered down the stairs.

She was very tall — with very long legs — and very vain. I thought she looked like a horse.

As Diana was sitting down, she took one of the cushions from the sofa and held it on her lap, feigning coyness, pretending that she didn't want a Sharon Stone moment. But then, why oh why had she dressed like that in the first place?

That was her way: a kind of provocative false modesty, which I found rather unattractive because it was so choreographed — like the way she tilted her head and looked up through her eyelashes.

I barely spoke all night, which I think she found disagreeable, in the way that women who are almost invariably fawned over react badly when they find it's not happening.

Frankly, I couldn't make myself interested in her banal air-headedness. Most of the evening she just talked about herself and her clothes and things that had little relevance to any of us there.

That was one thing I found irritating the fake modesty and shyness.  Looking back she played the media like idiots and did a lot of damage.  I was a fan at one point but listening to what she said in the Bashier interview and the fake shyness not my favourite, I did Charles a mis service falling for the media hype.

sandy

You don't know if she was fake or not. Nobody here is a mind reader.

I think she was played by Charles and Camilla. And Camilla and Charles did indeed play the media leaking stories via Charles' friends and Camlla herself going to the Sun Editor. I see these two are getting their wings and halos from their fans.

Charles wanted a fertile woman to get heirs. If she were so odious why did your hero choose her? And he knew the family. Why  would "sophisticated" Icough cough) older man court a teenage girl--because she provided the womb and eggs and had no experience like Camilla and came from a blue blooded family. He got what he wanted from her and got the mistress too. Selfish man.

What Charles told Dimbleby was obnoxious yet Diana is trashed.

I find free passes given to C and C very irritating.

Double post auto-merged: October 03, 2014, 05:34:13 PM

Quote from: cinrit on October 03, 2014, 02:02:54 PM
It's just his opinion of her.  No one is going to dislike Diana based on someone else's opinion.

Cindy

Well some here are applauding the old man. It is just a gratuitous slap at Diana to try to get the old fossil's books sold.

Canuck

Quote from: sandy on October 03, 2014, 05:32:57 PM

I think she was played by Charles and Camilla.

PaulaB is just as entitled to her opinion as you are to yours.

sandy

I am disagreeing with her. So I am not allowed now?

I see it as giving C and C free passes. 

It goes both ways I am entitled to my opinion just as much PaulaB is.

cinrit

Quote from: cinrit on October 03, 2014, 02:02:54 PM

Cindy

Well some here are applauding the old man. It is just a gratuitous slap at Diana to try to get the old fossil's books sold.

But if they agree with him, their minds were probably already made up; unlikely that he persuaded them in four or five paragraphs.  Just as it's okay for you to call him an old fossil and a cranky old man because that's your opinion of him, he has a right to state his opinion of others, as well.

Cindy
Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

sandy

Everybody has a right to name drop to try to sell books. Which is what this guy is doing. It shows how little he has done for himself that he has to name drop.

SophieChloe

Quote from: Canuck on October 03, 2014, 05:49:30 PM

I think she was played by Charles and Camilla.

PaulaB is just as entitled to her opinion as you are to yours.
Quote from: sandy on October 03, 2014, 05:57:42 PM
I am disagreeing with her. So I am not allowed now?

I see it as giving C and C free passes. 

It goes both ways I am entitled to my opinion just as much PaulaB is.

[mod]We are all entitled to our opinions! Come on...We are all grown-ups :love6: [/mod]
Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me

amabel

Quote from: Eri on October 03, 2014, 08:40:47 AM
I don't get why some are getting so angry at this guy ... Di was a self obsessed , vain woman with little to no formal education he tolled no lies ...
she did not have "little to no formal education".  She had an average education, albeit I don't think she did very well at school... but its hardly as if she never went to school.  She was not IMO particularly vain, she was a good looking girl and naturally did her best to make the best of her looks because she was a public figure.. She was much more of a dresser up than Camilla ever would be.  But I would not call her particularly self obsessed either. S he was selfish at times as we all are.. she Had problems that made life difficult for her.. and there were times when she was very caught up with them but she was warm hearted and outreaching.

TLLK

I too agree that Diana did have a formal education but didn't perform well. As for her looks, she had good bone structure and a slim figure that she learned to dress to her advantage. The Diana from the early 1980's quickly learned what flattered her shape and coloring. As for the claim that she was vain I'll go with  she was certainly conscious of appearance and knew that it would be commented upon constantly.

amabel

I know she didn't do well at school, but she did have the usual education for a girl of her class, she went to school. She sat for her O levels etc.  as for vanity, yes I think she was conscious of her looks.. after all, she was always being billed as "beautiful but not that clever" so of course she was going to be conscious of the thing that made the photographers love and follow her and take pics that got her into the papers.  She was conscious too that the people hoped to see her looking pretty and well dressed and charming unlike Anne who never made the best of herself.. I think that's a reason why she developed bulimia because she was conscious that she'd be notice ad her looks and slim figure etc would be commented on.. "Is DI a bit chubby looking this week" etc nonsense, so she got anxious about keeping thin and beautiful.  And yes she was flirtatious, why not?  She was a beautiful girl, she attracted men, I don't blame her for playing up to that to an extent. This guy sounds like a nasty misogynist who doesn't like attractive women, and while I don't say that Di was very clever I don't think she was a complete airhead either...

sandy

Diana developed bulimia because of stress. Bulimia is brought on by stress. She also had a sister with an eating disorder, it could have been genetic.