Earl and Countess of Snowdon news and chat

Started by sara8150, February 17, 2019, 06:53:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sara8150

A thread for the Earl and Countess of Snowdon and Family's news and general chat.

Princess Margaret's son to write biography attacking The Crown's portrayal of her | Daily Mail Online

royalanthropologist

I do not believe that she was as bad as they portray her to be. Judging by her children, she was a far better parent than her sister. Charles made a short clip in praise of his beloved aunt when she died. There was more to her than her portrayals I think.

Heir to the throne on death of his aunt - YouTube
"In the past, people were born royal. Nowadays, royalty comes from what you do"...Gianni Versace

Curryong

I hope David Snowden does write a book about his mother. I think it would be very interesting. I have read she did a great deal of charity work on the quiet that was never known.

The Crown is a gross misrepresentation of the lives of the BRF anyway, IMO. It's sad when you hear people on Twitter saying 'I know all about so and so. I watch The Crown'. The series is about 60% fictionalised guesswork.

sandy

The Crown had an episode showing JFK beating up Jackie.  Certainly fiction.

royalanthropologist

Quote from: Curryong on February 17, 2019, 10:41:48 AM
The Crown is a gross misrepresentation of the lives of the BRF anyway, IMO. It's sad when you hear people on Twitter saying 'I know all about so and so. I watch The Crown'. The series is about 60% fictionalised guesswork.

So true. You know all those royal dramas. They get the most appalling actors with the most appalling accents. There is one I saw with a woman wearing an obviously bad blonde wig...looking and behaving nothing like the character she was portraying. I wonder who pays to watch and make these films.
"In the past, people were born royal. Nowadays, royalty comes from what you do"...Gianni Versace

sandy

The accurate part was the unfortunate way Margaret and Snowden went into the marriage, with his lover pregnant with his daughter. That was the accurate part. Very sad and found out to be true with a DNA test.

Princess Cassandra

Quote from: royalanthropologist on February 17, 2019, 09:55:31 AM
I do not believe that she was as bad as they portray her to be. Judging by her children, she was a far better parent than her sister. Charles made a short clip in praise of his beloved aunt when she died. There was more to her than her portrayals I think.

Heir to the throne on death of his aunt - YouTube

I agree - I admire both of her children, and they seem to have very stable marriages. I've also read that the POW puts a great deal of trust in his cousin and has called on him for important tasks.

QueenAlex

It appears that the Snowdons are also getting a divorce

TLLK

Wow! When it rains it pours for HM the Queen this year. :eyes:

QueenAlex

Quote from: TLLK on February 17, 2020, 07:55:55 PM

Luckily they are minor royals... but it must be depressing for her...

TLLK

IMHO it's has to be sad for her to see another family member's marriage coming to an end especially one that had lasted for 25 years.

Curryong

Quote from: QueenAlex on February 17, 2020, 07:57:57 PM
Luckily they are minor royals... but it must be depressing for her...

Neither the Phillips's nor Snowdens are even minor royals. I certainly don't think the Queen thinks of them in terms of their social position. Peter is a much loved grandchild, her first, and she saw more of Peter and Autumn than she did of David and his wife IMO.

Of course both David and Sarah were the children of the Queen's beloved sister, but from what I've read over recent years Sarah Chatto, with her creative and artistic interests, has had a bit more to do with the RF than her brother whose furniture making business interests have taken precedence. It's been Sarah who has accompanied Charles to several concerts etc.

I don't think the Queen actually sees that much of nieces, nephews, grandchildren etc. They all lead busy lives and so does she. After all, it's well known that because of her schedule, even at 94, even close relatives have to make appointments to see her.

sandy

I read someplace a few years ago they were having some issues in the marriage.

Curryong

There were those rumours years ago about David's sexual orientation, and that rather murky blackmail case involving him, about which the Press were remarkably silent.

25 years is a long time to sustain a marriage and I'm sure it's devastating for the Snowden children.

We don't know the cicumstances behind it of course, but Tony Snowden seemed to go through an awful lot of extra marital relationships and was constantly unfaithful to his SO's. I hope it's not son following in father's footsteps!

Trudie

It is sad after almost 28 years of marriage it is coming to an end but reports I have read is that David travels quite often in his role at Christie's and then there is his furniture business I am sure it was not easy on Serena being married to such a workaholic.

Curryong

Just read this on another site. According to Marilyn Koenig of Royal Musings (whom I have a lot of time for. She's an author on historical royals, very knowledgable on the BRF) the couple have been separated for several years. One or the other of them has found someone else now, IMO, and want to move on, or are just tying up the loose ends now that their youngest (Magherita) will soon be away at Uni.

Royal Musings: Earl and Countess of Snowdon announce they are divorcing

So if this is correct and it seems to be, nobody in the family, including HM, will be shocked, saddened or surprised.

TLLK

I did read her blog post today about the Snowdon divorce announcement. I'm hoping that they can work towards an amicable end.

Princess Cassandra

Quote from: TLLK on February 17, 2020, 07:55:55 PM
We can hope that all the bad news for the next few years has come all at once and it's smooth sailing afterwards!

Princess Cassandra

Quote from: Curryong on February 17, 2020, 10:51:28 PM
Neither the Phillips's nor Snowdens are even minor royals. I certainly don't think the Queen thinks of them in terms of their social position. Peter is a much loved grandchild, her first, and she saw more of Peter and Autumn than she did of David and his wife IMO.

Of course both David and Sarah were the children of the Queen's beloved sister, but from what I've read over recent years Sarah Chatto, with her creative and artistic interests, has had a bit more to do with the RF than her brother whose furniture making business interests have taken precedence. It's been Sarah who has accompanied Charles to several concerts etc.

I don't think the Queen actually sees that much of nieces, nephews, grandchildren etc. They all lead busy lives and so does she. After all, it's well known that because of her schedule, even at 94, even close relatives have to make appointments to see her.
I think the one who really appreciates Snowdon is the POW. He has included the Earl in a couple of projects because of his expertise. He is very creative and at the same time has good business sense. As for Sarah - she and the Queen have one of those wonderful aunt-niece relationships, as described by Sarah herself in the Queen's 90th birthday documentary.

PrincessOfPeace

Happy 60th Birthday to the Earl of Snowdon.

PrincessOfPeace

Happy 52nd birthday to Serena Armstrong-Jones, Countess of Snowdon.