Could the Prince of Wales Become Prince Regent?

Started by cinrit, October 02, 2014, 12:28:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cinrit

QuoteRoyal Household staff have discussed the possibility of the Prince of Wales becoming Prince Regent if the Queen eventually becomes unable to fulfil her duties, it has emerged.  Courtiers have studied the Regency Act to make sure they are well prepared for every eventuality as the Queen approaches her nineties.

Britain's last regency was from 1811 to 1820, when George III's mental illness left him unable to carry out his duties. His son, the future George IV, was given his father's full powers under the Regency Act, and gave his name to Regent's Park and Regent Street in London.

The Queen, who is 88, has repeatedly made it clear that she regards the sovereignty as a job for life, with no question of her abdicating.

More: Could the Prince of Wales become Prince Regent? - Telegraph

Cindy
Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

Regal

I've always presumed this would be the plan and not abdication.

Canuck

I agree she will never abdicate, and I think a regency is unlikely (though probably prudent to have plans in place just in case it becomes necessary). 

As long as her mind is intact, I don't think Charles would become regent -- if she was incapable only physically, then I think he would simply step in and do most/all of her appearances for her (as she did for her father during his illness).  If she actually became mentally incompetent then a regency might happen, but she still seems extremely sharp so I doubt that will ever be necessary.

amabel

IT could happen but it aint gonna ahppen.  The quee is as tough as old boots...

sandy

Hmmm. Another series of stories about Regencies. Charles PR people need to put a lid on it. The Queen is of sound mental and physical health. I think whoever puts this tripe out needs a regency for himself

Though maybe if Charles is regent William could have another gap year to decide if he's ready to leave copter flying.

TLLK

Quote from: Canuck on October 02, 2014, 06:25:02 PM
I agree she will never abdicate, and I think a regency is unlikely (though probably prudent to have plans in place just in case it becomes necessary). 

As long as her mind is intact, I don't think Charles would become regent -- if she was incapable only physically, then I think he would simply step in and do most/all of her appearances for her (as she did for her father during his illness).  If she actually became mentally incompetent then a regency might happen, but she still seems extremely sharp so I doubt that will ever be necessary.
A very likely scenario if HM was to become physically or mentally unable to perform her duties. Other heirs to the throne have been temporary regents for their monarchs.

sandy

Since she is fine now I think it tacky to put out the story. I think people are aware of the history of regencies and know what they are. I wonder if Charles ever thinks someday they will write stories about William being Regent. The Queen probably brushes that these stories off but I think it odd since there is nothing wrong with her now. The royals always had contingency plans in place even one for Charles in the event he becomes incapacitated and then William steps up. Funerals are planned ahead of time too.

TLLK

From what I've read for years at royalty forums is that abdication rumors come and go as monarchs lose popularity, fall ill or reach "retirement  age" in some readers' eyes. The monarchies with a history of abdication ie: the Netherlands/Luxembourg would have stories running every year for Beatrix, Jean, etc..The recent abdications give the press something to speculate on.

BTW the Danish just shot down rumors that Margrethe will be stepping down in favor of ...Mary. An Australian magazine stated that HM would hand over the throne to the Crown Princess. They seem to have forgotten who the heir is in Denmark.

Windsor

The Queen is one healthy and very active Lady! May it long continue. God Save The Queen!  :windsor1:

sandy

TLLK

I agree but I'm certain that she'd be open to the idea of a regency if she was felt the need were to arise. I believe that she would place the needs of the country before her own personal feelings.

sandy

There are always plans in place, the media always acts like it will happen tomorrow. Charles is no spring chicken and the regency discussion for him could happen sooner than he thinks. I wonder how he would feel about William the Regent stories. I think these articles are pointless and tasteless.

TLLK

Good question but in all honesty I think that most of the older monarchs expect these stories to pop up after one of their peers abdicates  or  passes on. IMO they really don't give them too much consideration unless the their press office receives to many inquiries.

Trudie

This is all so ridiculous yes Charles is now stepping up and assuming some of HM's duties especially long travel such as the Commonwealth meeting. This is more in keeping with physical issues due to age and most likely has more to do with Prince Phillip. HM may be in her late 80's but her mind is razor sharp there is no need for a regency at her age HM is pretty spry and still rides this is much ado about nothing.

cate1949

dull news week - stories like this pop up every so often -

I hope HM continues to have a active and long reign - cause what comes after may be tumultuous

amabel

I doubt it.  Charles Will ascend to the thone.  Camila will be queen, no drama whatsoever.

Trudie

That is your opinion amabel however there are those not looking forward to the next reign I think there will be some drama especially from within.

Limabeany

Quote from: amabel on October 04, 2014, 09:47:47 AM
I doubt it.  Charles Will ascend to the thone.  Camila will be queen, no drama whatsoever.
I disagree, there will be drama, Charles has made a few enemies with his attitudes, meddling and even, his and the Queen's handling of William and Kate. IMO, there are a lot of people who are mum now out of respect for the Queen, but once she passes, it will be open season, I think his Monarchy will not have the protection/buffer of deference that Elizabeth's has and he will have a much tougher and tumultuous time.
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

SophieChloe

Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me

amabel

again I doubt it.  I'm tired of saying this.  MOST people in the UK don't think about the monarchy that much.  Charles's habit of getting a bit too involved has cooled down now, and probably by the time he's king he will totally abide by the converting that the Monarch does not get involved in anything political. I'd say the queens good for many more years.. Charles has been taking over some of her duties in the last years and the wheels have not fallen off the bus.  His reign wont be THAT long, and in due course Will and kate wil probably be king and queen if the monarchy lasts.. which I think it will.

Limabeany

I agree that most people in the UK don't think about the Monarchy that much, but out of deference to the Queen, the other side has been quite muted or shot down by royalists who have more allegiance and respect for her than for the Monarchy itself. It will be a different story when they are bombarded with post-Elizabethan articles and opinions not holding back because they don't want to be seen as insulting the Queen.
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

amabel

what other side? Republicans?  Why would they have respect for the queen?

Limabeany

Actually, republicans are not the only other side, non-royalists as well. It is not 'respect' for the Queen as a royal but as a historical figure in the UK.

TLLK

Have enjoyed reading the opinions of our British readers who are pro-monarchy and pro-republic as it gives me a better perspective on the nation.

amabel