Ex Belgian King Says 923,000 Euros Not Enough to Live On

Started by cinrit, November 08, 2013, 12:24:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cinrit

QuoteAlbert II, the Belgian king who abdicated in July, believes his yearly state allowance of 923,000 euros is too little to live on and wants an increase, press reports said Thursday.

"He says he has not been treated as he had hoped and that he now finds himself in difficulty," one unnamed source told Le Soir daily.

Up until his abdication after 20 years as king, Albert enjoyed a tax-free allowance of 11.5 million euros ($15 million) to pay for the upkeep of the royal household.

But on stepping down in favour of his son Philippe, the popular monarch got 923,000 euros before tax -- or 700,000 euros net. Though also provided a team of 10 aides, he is "complaining bitterly about the annual payment," said Le Soir's court correspondent.

More: Ex Belgian king says 923,000 euros not enough to live on < Belgian news | Expatica Belgium

Cindy
Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

Windsor

Hmm... I don't know what to make of this, I find it is perhaps all talk and not really happening. I honestly cannot see The King complaining about such petty issues, especially when his son is the new Sovereign and able to provide monetary assistance if so required.

cinrit

QuoteKing Albert Makes Huge Misstep, Complains About Money

HM King Albert, the former King of the Belgians, continues to unite the Belgian people even away from the throne, although not in the way he intended. This week the King made complaints public that his $1.2 Million pension is not enough for he and Queen Paola to live on. The issue was, not surprisingly, met with mockery and anger within Belgium's parliament. The King's complaints include the new requirement to pay taxes, thanks to Queen Fabiola's shady financial dealings. In return Albert wants to the government to pay for maintenance of his $6.4-million yacht and his palace in Brussels. Prime Minister Elio Di Rupo stated firmly that "the government does not intend to change a comma" of the King's compensation.

More: King Albert makes huge misstep, complains about money - National Royal News | Examiner.com

Cindy
Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.