Prince Harry Attends 100 Women In Hedge Funds Gala

Started by HsHCharlene, October 15, 2014, 10:44:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaisyMeRollin

^The comparison to Carnegie and Rockefeller, is their philanthropic contributions and establishment of a few. Not sure how Socrates fits in there. (Rockefeller also contributed to the New York Times or New York Post. I forgot which off the top of my head, but make what you will of that.
"No one is dumb who is curious. The people who don't ask questions remain clueless throughout their lives." - Neil DeGrasse Tyson

HistoryGirl

I see. Yet Carnegie and Rockefeller were self made men who worked their whole lives so I'm still not seeing the comparisons, philanthropic or not.

DaisyMeRollin

Ah! There it is. Hereditary wealth versus earned wealth. That does void the comparison.
"No one is dumb who is curious. The people who don't ask questions remain clueless throughout their lives." - Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Curryong

My memory is a bit faint on the subject, but wasnt the trouble with Sentable some form of financial mismanagement or incompetence involving one of the executives? I can't imagine that Harry sits down and micro-manages the daily financial affairs of his charity

HsHCharlene

^The financial issues that arose weren't mismanagement but because they spent much of the money on startup costs. Instead of starting small and growing they kind of started big and then the recession hit and money stopped coming in like it used to. That was the main issue, they had to be saved by a wealthy benefactor. Since then it's been smooth sailing and I think Harry does have some knowledge of the day to day since he goes to all the meetings and is consulted whenever they make plans for anything, i.e the garden at the flower show.

Curryong

Quote from: DaisyMeRollin on October 18, 2014, 10:17:38 PM
How is any of this an insult?

I disagree on your interpretation of genius, sorry if you're insulted by that. I think degenerating the definition of genius is insulting to people who actually qualify for that adjective and make or have made significant contributions to the world past, present and future.

Let's just start passing that title out like Oprah, why the hell not? Everyone is a genius!

Yes Oprah did enjoy spouting that word out at everyone. Maybe we should redefine the word, in a 21st century sense. Not Galileo, Einstein, de Vinci, Newton, Tesla but .......pick a celebrity!

wannable

The collation has to do with how they did form their trusts and foundations, copying them and molding the blueprint indifferent to acquisition of wealth, Charles did it with the Princes Trust, WKH with their Foundation and Forum.

The Sentebale issue had to do with Harry's desire and realization with Enduro 2008, in short he invited his brother, the Enduro charity to benefit Sentebale was a failure, the Enduro Group didn't deliver the moneys. The investment recorded as a loss rather than a profit.

HistoryGirl

^So assuming he did copy their trust, how could he be the genius? He copied from a genius would be the appropriate way to say it then. Genius because he set up a charity...not even the first to do so? come on, now.

wannable

One can copy a blueprint, masterminding it to your own liking, make it a successful all around effort indepth rather than superficial, and it will be a genius job, work, team that will be celebrated. As I said it depends on the scope of what one considers to have carried out something genius. When an individual for example blueprints a copy into the organization he or she works for, and said project results in huge profits, cost savings, all around success, the shareholders will call the person a genius, simultaneously one has noted the sour colleagues say "anyone can do ", but they didn't.

If E&P would have had a team of think tanks, she could have had her own grouped of charities in a foundation, indepth results of all around quality rather than quantity, which  the later superficially looks good. But is it really good in the financial perspective indepth? I don't think so.  I also think Harry the individual has this similar problem, and his staff, including the military can't resit in advising him, telling him the financial all around risks in charity expeditions, seems it's hard to tell him no, he goes ahead. He has done various looks great superficially, but the indepth result is actually poor. An example of indepth outcome if you spend usd 350K and make usd 450K, your only profit was 100K.  That is a poor result. A look to his past, character, it's his way or nothing, apparently with his military career it was the same, behavior IMO defines him as such, perhaps a bit spoiled.

HistoryGirl

HsHCharlene

I dont know where the information comes from that says his ventures are failures?

wannable

^^But as you see he masterminded a blueprint copy without being a self made billionaire, which would superficially look void to compare, made it to his own liking and it works wonderfully, successfully. Some have said he is.

^ review end of the year financial reports Sentebale, enduro and walking with the wounded. Huge expense, little returns. Superficially good job, what a challenge, matter of fact it's a fun event for those who like to do "expeditions". This type of ventures are very risky.so when you see they spent half a million, made 600 thousand, end of the year they donated those 100 thousand earned, to have a precarious balance....

HistoryGirl

^I guess some people have lower standards than others. But then again, Harry also has his own charity so what makes him a failure and his father a genius? Especially if both charities are still functioning

wannable

Only the risky expeditions may have loss failure situations. His charities aren't in absolutes...i think and hope he can throw more caution seeking all around success in the indepth, an example is a two hour polo game has more profit than a one month charity expedition.

DaisyMeRollin

Quote from: Curryong on October 19, 2014, 03:55:56 AM
Quote from: DaisyMeRollin on October 18, 2014, 10:17:38 PM
How is any of this an insult?

I disagree on your interpretation of genius, sorry if you're insulted by that. I think degenerating the definition of genius is insulting to people who actually qualify for that adjective and make or have made significant contributions to the world past, present and future.

Let's just start passing that title out like Oprah, why the hell not? Everyone is a genius!

Yes Oprah did enjoy spouting that word out at everyone. Maybe we should redefine the word, in a 21st century sense. Not Galileo, Einstein, de Vinci, Newton, Tesla but .......pick a celebrity!

LOL!  :thumbsup:

Yeah, I got a little testy about that yesterday.

Anyway, I just think it somewhat displays a level of ingratitude or ignorance of what legitimate genius has provided the entirety of humanity if someone is going to haphazardly toss around the word "genius", and on the other hand, admit that a person/a group of people (specifically hired to do their thinking for them) is piggy-backing on the ideas of others.

The fact that we're all having this discussion cross-continentally on a devise whose origins can be traced almost 200 years ago, by an English, aristocratic female (You know, when aristocrats did more than DJ, open clubs and bars, and "act".), and with the cumulative addition of genius contributions until now here we are. The fact that some of us are even alive today, is due in thanks to vaccinations which are only a blip in the time-scale of humanity. Hey! We could even add Kate's prenatal care in there if we wanted to!

Genius is apparently applicable to the last two generations of the BRF or recognition of their staffers, that are again, piggy-backing. Some could debate that establishment of or streamlining a charity is an attempt to stay relevant today, so I think it's a level of denial and somewhat sycophantic to hand out the "genius" sash and tiara, smile and elbow-elbow, wrist-wrist through this particular conversation.

Good intent, yes.

Pragmatic intent, yes.

Genius, an emphatic no!

HistoryGirl

Quote from: wannable on October 19, 2014, 03:50:56 PM
Only the risky expeditions may have loss failure situations. His charities aren't in absolutes...i think and hope he can throw more caution seeking all around success in the indepth, an example is a two hour polo game has more profit than a one month charity expedition.

So basically you want Harry to care less...ok, well to each their own.

wannable

It depends on how you see it, a motorcycle expedition, which was a loss, almost placed his charity into closure, I think his desire to have this fun was selfish, there must have been someone from his yes men that advised against it? That's caring less from his part IMO

HistoryGirl

^So it's better to let others do the work for you and then just show up for the photo ops?

DaisyMeRollin

^ Self-initiation and seeking alternative routes is hard, granted it could be argued that the motorcycle trek could have been a tad self-indulgent. It's easier when people tell you what to do and where to go.

(Also, please excuse the grammatical errors. Poker night and the subsequent recuperation is quite the event. :blush: ) 

wannable

I'm a team work with a decision maker believer, if Harry is the boss, perhaps he needs to listen more, exercise caution financially, then decide.

Those expeditions would be great with deep pocket investors sponsors, it not pan it. If an expedition costs prebudgeted 350K, seek before going ahead 1M investor (s) so at least 750K can yield for the good purposes and leave the financial aspect of the charity healthy, rather than hanging by the string.

HistoryGirl

Maybe he should get Charles to help; I'm sure Harry would appreciate the advice of a genius.

wannable

He did, but Harry with heart in sleeve is hell bent to do it his way or the highway. He is a edit  risk taker IMO.

[mod]Offensive name-calling removed. [/mod]

DaisyMeRollin

Not saying that Harry is anywhere near genius by making this comparison, but a edit mapped the double-helix, a "edit" invented the process of psychoanalysis, and it's very well a distinct possibility that a "edit" founded the Methodist church.

Those were also way worse edit in the grand scheme of things.

[mod]Repeating of name-calling removed[/mod]

HistoryGirl

Quote from: wannable on October 19, 2014, 06:02:50 PM
He did, but Harry with heart in sleeve is hell bent to do it his way or the highway. He is a "edit" risk taker IMO.

But the genius in the family surely is responsible for how his offspring go about business. I mean being a genius comes with great responsibility no? I mean how embarrassing for the future king to have his own flesh and blood be such a far cry from his own ingenious flair. I can only imagine how much of a blow this was to the Prince; I mean his high IQ and savvy must have told him how much of a failure his son was in for. It must have been hell to simply sit by and have to watch it unfold...

wannable

Doubt it, Charles doesn't seem to be an absolutis, the criticism he gets for example for sharing his ideas, advise if you want to ministers, speaks of a person that's open to debate his ideas if better than...

Not that Penny Junor authorized bio of Harry is gospel truth, but there are some interesting palace sources in reference to Harry's high risking temperament, which is good to have as a team player, IMO rather than the decision maker, tie to that he is hell bent my way or the highway, eventually some of his stuff goes wrong.

This discussion is very interesting, some have absolutism in genius, whilst the scope IMO is open to not meaning perfection in every aspect of a person.

I will end now with the OOT, the 100 women HF is simply amazing, good works they have done in the past 4 years for the WKH foundation.